Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Monarch Midi Water Softener
James

posted on 4/10/14 at 12:35 AM Reply With Quote
Monarch Midi Water Softener

Heya,

Anyone got a water softener?
Been recommended the Monarch Midi water softener by both the plumber who put in my boiler and my boss who's fairly technical.

http://www.monarchwater.co.uk/products/ultimate-midi/

Any thoughts or recommendations with it? Before I spend 500 quid!

I was going to go with the 22mm hi-flow version.

Thanks,
James

[Edited on 4/10/14 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

TheGiantTribble

posted on 4/10/14 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a Monarch.
I was selling a few through work, and all my customers and their customers seemed happy with them, so it was an easy choice for me.
It was easy to fit, and fitted into the space I had.

splitrivet

posted on 4/10/14 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Seems a lot of dosh James just to get softer water.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

James

posted on 5/10/14 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet
Seems a lot of dosh James just to get softer water.
Cheers,
Bob

You're right mate! Plus on-going cost of salt and 'leccy.

Blame my Mrs and her 'sensitive' skin!

Also, to be fair it's pretty bad round here (yeah, yeah, everyone I know says they live in the area with the hardest water! ) but it's bad enough I have to chip it out of the kettle every few months and it takes hours to clean the shower/taps etc.

I've got a mate at somewhere that sells them so I'll see what price I can get it for and go from there.

Anyone else?

Thanks,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Grimsdale

posted on 6/10/14 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
copper piping requires the presence of limescale in the water to prevent corrosion. If you must use one, i'd take a blend of softened water and tap water. Normal 'soft' tap water still typically has 50mg/l of limescale which gives little issue but protects the pipework. Very hard water can get up to 200mg/l.
I would not recommend the installation of any new copper pipework without allowing normal water to flow through it for a period of months to build up a protective layer.
Softened water must never be used to fill a central heating system for the same reason.

I've seen copper pipe reduced to the thickness of tracing paper when a water softener has been used, so i'm often worried by their use!

Andy

splitrivet

posted on 8/10/14 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grimsdale
copper piping requires the presence of limescale in the water to prevent corrosion. If you must use one, i'd take a blend of softened water and tap water. Normal 'soft' tap water still typically has 50mg/l of limescale which gives little issue but protects the pipework. Very hard water can get up to 200mg/l.
I would not recommend the installation of any new copper pipework without allowing normal water to flow through it for a period of months to build up a protective layer.
Softened water must never be used to fill a central heating system for the same reason.

I've seen copper pipe reduced to the thickness of tracing paper when a water softener has been used, so i'm often worried by their use!

Andy

Isnt that the reason they have to braze pipework in France Andy because of the soft water.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.