Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Nexus 5?
coozer

posted on 26/10/14 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Nexus 5?

Anyone got a Nexus 5 and would like to share their experience and tell me if its a good buy?

I know the new lollipop version is coming to it soon and am willing to hang on..

Any thoughts or a comparative phone on spec or price?

Was thinking of a HTC 610 or 816 but the specs dont add up to the nexus.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

stevebubs

posted on 26/10/14 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Had one since launch. Love it. Was going to buy the new Nexus this year but don't want a 6incher (ooer) so going to hang onto what I have as don't want to move away from "Pure" android and lose the OS Updates.

Absolutely no problems in the 12m I've had it - camera was a bit poor to start but the new camera app shortly after launch sorted that...

No need to hand on until Lollipop comes out - if you buy now, it'll still be upgradeable.

[Edited on 26/10/14 by stevebubs]

stevebubs

posted on 26/10/14 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
If you want a comparative phone to the N5 then you're looking at a Galaxy S4 or above, really...
RoadkillUK

posted on 26/10/14 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
I've also had the N5 since launch, I had the N4 before that too. I've kept the N5 stock since I bought it, but just last week I installed the Lollipop preview, I must say, it runs fine with no issues at all.

I too am sticking with the N5 not just because of the size, but also the cost of the N6 is going to be over £400.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
morcus

posted on 26/10/14 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Was anyone else expecting this to be about replicants?

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

coozer

posted on 26/10/14 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers peeps, expansys have the 32gb version for £280, is that a good buy? Google are advertising it for £340..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

cerbera

posted on 26/10/14 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
And if you want something a little larger with better specs have a look at the Oneplus One. £279 for the 64Gb version, I've had mine for a few weeks and I think it's great. Check out some YouTube reviews.
coozer

posted on 26/10/14 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cerbera
And if you want something a little larger with better specs have a look at the Oneplus One. £279 for the 64Gb version, I've had mine for a few weeks and I think it's great. Check out some YouTube reviews.

Ooo, I thought you had to be invited for the OnePlus.. is that right?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

cerbera

posted on 27/10/14 at 06:31 AM Reply With Quote
I got mine through an invite but they have opened it up to pre orders now.
simonrh

posted on 27/10/14 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
I just bought a "nearly new" LG g2 from fleabay when I was looking for a nexus 5.

I liked the idea of the early upgrade to Lollipop but was a bit put off by the supposed battery life on Nexus 5.

The LG apparently is very similar hardware-wise but with squeak bigger screen and much more battery life.

...but you will have to wait for Android L and when it does come it will ave been faffed about with by LG.

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 27/10/14 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
odd - another Xtreme owner who got a LG g2 over a nexus 5 ! brilliant phone and agree, I was put off by the nexus needing to be charged during the day. the g2 battery is awesome. (got mine from the ebay too)

software updates for the G2 will come slowly from LG I have read L by about mid 2015, however pretty active over on XDA devs and I think cynagonmod.. but I haven't changed mine from stock yet, haven't felt the need.

simonrh

posted on 27/10/14 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
I have a galaxy note 2 now with a smashed screen and ee wanted me to remortgage in order to get a replacement. The note has proved to be a shade too big and I just fancied non-samsung this time
Slimy38

posted on 27/10/14 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cerbera

Or the Oppo find 7a, which is very similar in specs and price.

I think the only thing I'd be wary of with the Nexus's (Nexii?) is the lack of SD card support. One of my main requirements for phones or tablets is video and music on the move, it doesn't take long to fill up internal memory with both of those. Having said that, I don't know whether the new Nexus has an SD card slot?

simonrh

posted on 27/10/14 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
There's no sd card slot on nexus 5 or LG g2 so you would need a large one, yes
Marcus

posted on 28/10/14 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a Nexus 4 and really can't see the point of anything newer yet. Mate has a Nexus 5 and I'm struggling to see a difference in real world use. OK its not 4g but when I'm on full HSDPA signal, I'm getting 12Mbit downloads. Plenty for streaming vids or Spotify. It will also get Lollipop early too. I may change in another year or so, but while it works and still looks like new, I'll be keeping it

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Andy S

posted on 28/10/14 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
Was anyone else expecting this to be about replicants?

Yep

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.