Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How tall can an aeroscreen be?
Northy

posted on 28/10/14 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
How tall can an aeroscreen be?

Does anyone know how tall an aeroscreen can be before it's classed as a windscreen?

I have a small blue aeroscreen on my Avon, and to be honest it doesn't do a lot when driving the car. If I duck down a bit in the seat the experiance is a whole lot better!

So I'm considering my options, I can either:

1. Add a small clear extension to the existing screen.
2. Replace the existing screen with a taller clear aeroscreen.
3. Lower the seat (it's currently on runners, but doesn't get moved).

I think I'll look at doing 3 anyway, but will probably do either 1 or 2 as well.

I think 2 would probably look better, but how high could I go? I wouldn't want a 'frame' of any sort on the top edge so how could I finish that off nicely? Where could I get suitable material to make one?

Cheers,

G

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 28/10/14 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Its described in section 32 Annex 1 of the IVA manual.

Mistral Motorsport

loggyboy

posted on 28/10/14 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Also - if the car is registered, its down to MoT'ers interpretation of the following:

Wipers and Washers.
This inspection applies to all vehicles, except those with an opening windscreen, or with some other means of providing the driver with an adequate view.

Mistral Motorsport

hkp57

posted on 28/10/14 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
I have asked the same question, its a problem I face on the motorbikes for years, having not finished my indy yet I can not say this will work.

I intend to try out an adjustable extension on the aero screen, we use them on our bikes and they are great at giving you extra protection but also reduce or in some cases stop wind buffeting at speed. It does take a bit of trial and error to get the angle right but its not hard to do.

We use a screen extension made by MRA screens called the x-creen, these come in a couple of sizes and with either clamp on mounts or bold on if you dont mind drilling into your aero screen. Easy to remove at MOT time also.

These are not cheap but there are other companies out there in the bike world with similar products or you can make something similar.

Linky

or

eBay Item

Fleet
SKC Raptor R - Hayabusa
Toyota C-HR Hybrid Limited Edition
Honda VFR1200 CrossTourer
DCT
Marlin Roadster 1800
Mercedes Vito 116 Sport

Northy

posted on 29/10/14 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
Some good ideas, thanks.

Where is a good source of clear sheet suitable for an aeroscreen?

Thanks,

G

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mistron

posted on 29/10/14 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
The definition used to be that if it was higher than the drivers eyeline in the 'normal' driving position, it required wipers (on the basis that you would be looking through it) Not sure if that's still the case though, as I always thought that was very wooly - just get your 7' tall mate to drive it for the MOT, not your 5' tall Granny, etc.

I made my aeroscreen with Clear Lexan without any problems cutting / forming it

Al

Northy

posted on 30/10/14 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
Where did you get it from?

G

Graham

adithorp

posted on 30/10/14 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
As you're already on the road and don't need to worry about IVA, I'd say go as high as you can, while still able to see over it. Any higher and you'll have issues in the wet (even if it's only an unexpected shower). Joe (aka, Welderman) put quite a high screen on his Fury but had to trim it down later, as he couldn't see in the rain.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Slimy38

posted on 30/10/14 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Look at the Ariel Atom, the second one that James May drove on Top Gear. It had what looked to be the tiniest screen ever, maybe six inches tall and the same across. But the design was enough to remove most buffeting. Compare that to Clarkson's turn in the original one where it tried to turn him inside out.

Here you go, finally found a picture of one;

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3d/Ariel_Atom_flyscreen_-_Flickr_-_exfordy.jpg

(Sorry, the picture was huge so I turned it back into a link)

I think the point of it was that it was perfectly upright, so instead of just lifting the air up and over, it completely smashes it to bits and pushes it all over the place. You might less a fraction of a second on 0-60 perhaps...

[Edited on 30/10/14 by Slimy38]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.