Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: tractor paint have you used it ???
bart

posted on 29/11/14 at 01:24 AM Reply With Quote
tractor paint have you used it ???

hi
I have read a few posts and some mention tractor paint for chassis.
has anybody actually used this type of paint and is it any good please
if so did you use an undercoat as well.
its a lot cheaper than say por 15
thanks in advance for your help

[Edited on 29/11/14 by bart]

HowardB

posted on 29/11/14 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
I used it on my land rover chassis. Painted in 1992... still mostly ok

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

mark chandler

posted on 29/11/14 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
I used teamac tractor paint on my Landrover as well, used for racing very durable stuff and sprayed well.
Brian R

posted on 29/11/14 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
I use this paint quite often on stuff we fix and fabricate. Seems ok. Click on Agricolour.

http://v2.gb.sparex.com/SearchResults.aspx?ClassificationID=9227&Page=0&Sort=0&SearchContext=Undefined&InitialSearchQuery=Classificati onID%3D9227&F1=C|9209|1|Accessories|0&F2=C|9227|2|Paint|0&F3=C|17883|3|Agricolour|1074&F4=&F5=&F6=&F7=&F8=&F9=& ;F10=&Refined=1

[Edited on 29/11/14 by Brian R]

daviep

posted on 29/11/14 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
AKA synthetic enamel, can be painted with brush, roller or gun and gives a good finish. Slow hardening time (don't try to rub any runs back as it will be wet inside and turn in to a disaster). Very hard to repaint over, reacts with everything even itself sometimes.

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

Grimsdale

posted on 1/12/14 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
used tractol 316 iirc and their primer for my front wishbones 12 months ago, used daily, parked outside for long periods and no problems yet.
IanSouthLincs

posted on 1/12/14 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
As Daviep says, it's synthetic enamel. I spayed a horsebox 7.5 ton with it about 5 years ago which lives outside in all weather and it's still going strong. Brand I used was Dacrylate and it's good stuff, cheap as chips too. The downsides are it will never polish up really well and as already mentioned once it's on it's a bitch to spray over as it will react with most other paints. Very hardwearing and resilient to temperature though :-)
ianhurley20

posted on 1/12/14 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
We have used it on rescue and safety boats on the Norfolk broads - 3 years on and still fine, much better than marine paints
dhutch

posted on 2/12/14 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
I have recently used QD90 on some machinery and although its too early to vouch for durability it was lovely to paint on, which is more than could be said for the Dulux Metalshield, or for that matter, POR15.

Daniel

Texan

posted on 2/12/14 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
I have a PPG rep who lives in our neighborhood and who is going to give us all a paint primer at our next meeting (I run a neighborhood Guys Afternoon Out where we meet and talk about all things car, have car shows, paint cars, work on cars, etc.)

I had asked him about tractor paint because I'd heard it was super resistant to chipping, and easy to paint as it laid down better than most paints and he said he would definitely recommend the tractor paint for all but the most experienced amateur.

I know that it was very durable on my John Deere tractor. Things that would have destroyed a car finish barely showed on the tractor.

I drive therefore I am.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.