Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brake proportioning valve issue
FERRARIST

posted on 14/12/14 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Brake proportioning valve issue

Never using brake valve before, and i guess there is problem with it.
Have 2 valves for front and rear brakes - rear is bargain wilwood from ebay, front is cheapy from same place.
Wilwood brake pedal box with balance bar.......problem is that when i bleed the front calipers and pump brake pedal few times fluid pressure still remains into the front brake circuit and unless i open the bleed knop in one of the calipers, i can't move a tyre......
There was no In or Out direction on the valve, i tried opposite direction of fluid - no brake pressure - so i guessed that it was right fitted from the beginning.
So when pedal pressed, fluid did not returns and hold brakes on until i open caliper and bleed some fluid.
Did i mess something or the valve is rubbish?
Below is picture of my front brake line setup, please don't ask why i change the place of brake and clutch pedals..
Description
Description

CosKev3

posted on 14/12/14 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Why have you fitted a valve to front brakes?
I always understood it that the pressure to rear brakes needs one to reduce the pressure to stop the rear brakes locking up before the fronts on a set up without balance bar, but you've got a balance bar so shouldn't need a valve in rear brake line either?

Ref the brakes sticking on, are you sure the pedal/master cylinder is returning fully off after you release the pedal?

FERRARIST

posted on 14/12/14 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
Why have you fitted a valve to front brakes?

I'll run 250/64/18 wide slicks in front, it's my first locost build, there is no smooth surface tracks here and at least in the beginning i need to experiment.......i'm ex go-karting driver and always use left foot braking......i might remove it, but not for now......

quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
Ref the brakes sticking on, are you sure the pedal/master cylinder is returning fully off after you release the pedal?

Yes, both master cylinders returns fully.....

Andy S

posted on 14/12/14 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
It appears that you have a bias pedal dual master cylinder set up - there should be no need for a proportioning valve - the bias is adjusted at the balance bar on the pedals on the principle of mechanical leverage and the added ability to change the diameters of the M/C's.

Proportioning valves are generally used when there is no possibility of making a mechanical adjustment to the force to a single (single or dual circuit) M/C .

You have a mixture of systems - best to remove the valves and then sort out the bias systems correctly.

[Edited on 14/12/14 by Andy S]

designer

posted on 14/12/14 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
Have to agree with the posts.

You only need a valve on the rear, and a dual circuit system needs no valves at all.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theprisioner

posted on 14/12/14 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Seals could be round wrong way in master cylinder that would then hold pressure?

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

minitici

posted on 14/12/14 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
As posted above, if the brake pedal has and adjustable bias mechanism use that to set the balance.

If there is no bias adjustment, fit the proportioning valve in the rear circuit only.

[Edited on 14/12/14 by minitici]

FERRARIST

posted on 14/12/14 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Well, with so many opinions towards removing the valve, maybe it will be pointless to use valve in front......and less hassle for me too.....hope that balance bar will be enough for the job....
Thanks.

[Edited on 14/12/14 by FERRARIST]

[Edited on 14/12/14 by FERRARIST]

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 14/12/14 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
You have a bias bar, that is perfectly adequate. Get rid of both pro portioning valves as they are completely unnecessary and by the sounds of it just causing problems.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.