Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Buying a car without a v5
Davegtst

posted on 17/2/15 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Buying a car without a v5

I'm looking to get a car to break up for parts for my car and then sell the rest. Trouble is the owner hasn't got the v5 and I'm not sure who it is even registered to. The owner has only got the green slip from the v5 and says he has never received the full log book so it may never have been sent off when he bought it which was 2 years ago. Is it possible to get it put in my name?
CosKev3

posted on 17/2/15 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah just apply for the log book once you've bought it, then the person who has failed to send off the log book will get a nice fine off dvla!

just get a proper dated/signed receipt etc off owner.

sdh2903

posted on 17/2/15 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Hasn't this changed? I was under the impression it's now illegal to sell a car without a v5
r1_pete

posted on 17/2/15 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Unless its something rare, I'd leave it where it is, and look for another.

I can't see how it can have been taxed or sorned for 2 years without him having the V5 in his name.....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 17/2/15 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
If your happy it's legit and your just breaking it why bother ?
CosKev3

posted on 17/2/15 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
Unless its something rare, I'd leave it where it is, and look for another.

I can't see how it can have been taxed or sorned for 2 years without him having the V5 in his name.....

I would guess it's still registered to previous owner so as far dvla are concerned its sat on his drive.

Seeing as it's a breaker the current owner has prob never tried to tax it?

Davegtst

posted on 17/2/15 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa

Trouble is I have no idea if it's legit. The current owner will give me a receipt but it may not be his to sell. It seems like he bought it in 2012 and has never had it on the road or ever tried to tax or sorn it.

Slimy38

posted on 17/2/15 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davegtst
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa

Trouble is I have no idea if it's legit. The current owner will give me a receipt but it may not be his to sell. It seems like he bought it in 2012 and has never had it on the road or ever tried to tax or sorn it.

I think that's the key, if you can't see whether it's his to sell then walk away. Note that it doesn't have to be the V5, if he has the receipt from when he bought it, and it shows that ownership has transferred, then I'd be ok with an absent V5.

Also bear in mind that V5's were replaced on 2014 (if I remember correctly), so why didn't the previous owner say something when he got the new one?

Check online to see the status of the car, it could have been scrapped or written off?

Edit: looks like the new V5's were 2012, so ignore that bit.

[Edited on 17/2/15 by Slimy38]

Davegtst

posted on 17/2/15 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
All I can see online is the tax ran out on Nov 2011 and the MOT Jan 2012. Is there any way to see who actually owns it apart from PNC?
r1_pete

posted on 17/2/15 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
with no sorn or tax for 2 years, there will be fines outstanding somewhere, both were annual so had to be renewed, unless it has been declared scrapped.

What does https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax say about the current liability?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CosKev3

posted on 17/2/15 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Registered keeper is not necessarily the owner though.

If he's got keys,is willing to give you a signed receipt,you know where he lives,I would buy it.

As a safeguard ask him to show you something with his name on relating to his address,so you know he lives there.

HPI check might be worth while depending on car cost?

geoff shep

posted on 17/2/15 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Did you read this thread? - http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/52/viewthread.php?tid=196347

Davegtst

posted on 17/2/15 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
with no sorn or tax for 2 years, there will be fines outstanding somewhere, both were annual so had to be renewed, unless it has been declared scrapped.

What does https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax say about the current liability?

That's where I got the info about being due tax for 2 years. All it really says is that it is untaxed (doesn't say if it's sorn'ed but I doubt it is) and it's not had an MOT for 2 years.

Slimy38

posted on 17/2/15 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
If it doesn't say SORN it isn't. I've just checked my donor and there is a big green 'SORN' sign on the web page.
r1_pete

posted on 17/2/15 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
OK, as I said above, I'd leave it alone, I recon anyone admitting to owning that to DVLA will be starting an ugly paper trail.....
CosKev3

posted on 17/2/15 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
OK, as I said above, I'd leave it alone, I recon anyone admitting to owning that to DVLA will be starting an ugly paper trail.....

Not if you've got a signed dated receipt.

It's for breaking for part's, if its cheap buy it and break asap

leon51274

posted on 17/2/15 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Would the scrapers not want to see a v5 though when weighing in what's not required?
CosKev3

posted on 18/2/15 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leon51274
Would the scrapers not want to see a v5 though when weighing in what's not required?

He can apply for a log book once hes bought it:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-for-a-vehicle-registration-certificate

Davegtst

posted on 18/2/15 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Just got off the phone to the DVLA. They wouldn't recommend buying a car without the v5 and have advised doing an hpi check on it. I can apply to get a new V5 with a V26 form which would cost £25 and they said I would only be liable for any penalties from the date of purchase. They wouldn't give out any other details though due to the data protection act.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.