Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Megajolt help please
keithjardine

posted on 16/4/15 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Megajolt help please

I'm having a few issues with megajolt and connectivity to a laptop, loaded cable driver, loaded megajolt software but configuration says no map loaded and doesn't appear to have a proper connection... Car is running well on a pinto map but I want to get a zetec map loaded... Can anyone reasonably local to notts and have all the gear and knowledge to load a zetec map for me please? I can travel, tomorrow afternoon/evening would be perfect.
Thanks in advance

mcerd1

posted on 16/4/15 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
I take it you've got a USB adapter ?

is it a tried and tested one sold to work with MJ or is it just a random one ?

is the megajolt software set to the correct com port for the adapter ?

[Edited on 16/4/2015 by mcerd1]

-

keithjardine

posted on 16/4/15 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Yes USB adaptor originally supplied with an emerald k6 ecu... Do maplin stock a plug and play lead or is it myth?
SPYDER

posted on 16/4/15 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
U2U sent
mcerd1

posted on 16/4/15 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
more info here:
http://www.autosportlabs.net/USB-serial_adapters

beyond that I've no idea, I managed to hang on to a laptop with a real serial port so I've never used an adapter...

-

austin man

posted on 16/4/15 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
sometimes you have to assign the port to the usb serial device I had a problem years ago with the usb to serial adapter the program usually looks for serial port 1 if I remember

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Irony

posted on 17/4/15 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
There lots of information on connectivity issues. Just start googling it and you find lots of answers. Problems include:

1: USB adapters don't always work. There is a good post on here somewhere about what type to buy. I bought a secondhand crappy laptop from a car boot for a fiver that has a serial port! Works fine and it has windows XP and the megajolt software on it. Thats all.

2. Get the right com port.

3. Check the wiring in the serial plug itself. I tried all sort of things before I found a loose wire inside the serial plug!

Mikef

posted on 17/4/15 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
My understanding is that if it is an Emerald adapter it is not the same as a Std USB to serial adapter. Might be worth checking with MJ.
Scuzzle

posted on 17/4/15 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
I had issues with Megajolt and my laptop to begin with, in the end I just bought an ancient laptop off Ebay just to do the MJ and nothing else. It was dirt cheap because it was so old and slow but for just doing the MJ it's perfect.
Irony

posted on 17/4/15 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Scuzzle
I had issues with Megajolt and my laptop to begin with, in the end I just bought an ancient laptop off Ebay just to do the MJ and nothing else. It was dirt cheap because it was so old and slow but for just doing the MJ it's perfect.

Same here - Mine has six missing keys but as all its got on is MJ and a early edition of XP its actually quite snappy. No Wifi though so everything has to be transferred to it via USB.

r1_pete

posted on 17/4/15 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
You need an adapter with the FTDI chipset, they're abut £15 on ebay. Some Prolific chipsets will work, but its not worth the risk IMO.

ETA I have an old T2* IBM Thinkpad with serial, which could be for sale.....

[Edited on 17/4/15 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.