coozer

posted on 29/8/15 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Ha! Wish you were living next door!!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

CorseChris

posted on 2/11/15 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve,

How did you get on with that reluctant CV in the end?

....guess why I'm asking.....

coozer

posted on 2/11/15 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Well Chris, probably just like you its still stuck!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

CorseChris

posted on 2/11/15 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Drat. I was hoping you had a magic method that worked. To be fair, I've only made one attempt so far using my trusty but weedy 3-leg puller. Donor is pretty much ready for final stripping and butchery now but wanted to try my luck with the hubs before taking them off the car for good. Got all the bolts out no bother, much to my surprise. Hub nuts - easy....CV from hub, not so far. Only tried the one as yet. Watching lots of youtube vids of people struggling with similar problems.... Why the hell don't they put a touch of anti-seize on these things when they make them.
coozer

posted on 2/11/15 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
My next step is a bespoke frame to stop it flying out of the press and upgrade the 10 ram for a 20 ton bottle jack!

Only other problem I have is the long bolt through the bottom arm, had to cut it each side of the upright cause they are rusted solid!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

big_wasa

posted on 2/11/15 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Save your self the grief and pick up a pair of eblag
CorseChris

posted on 3/11/15 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Having shelled out on a donor...not really what I want to have to do Drilling them out is probably the last resort option but I was kind of hoping I might be able to re-use the outer CV joints. Might even pay to just leave them be, remove the shaft and innards of the CV and do the clean/tidy/paint on the upright as-is. I'll give it another go but will make sure I don't use any methods likely to knacker the wheel bearings. Trouble with that option is it just saves up trouble for the future.

Couldn't just come out easily could they.....mind you, got a stuck one on the Jeep as well, so maybe worth buying a more meaty hub puller.

coozer

posted on 3/11/15 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thing is for me one side just slid out when I undid the nut, the other is refusing point blank!

Its a challenge now!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

CorseChris

posted on 3/11/15 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
It gets that way doesn't it - a personal challenge from a hunk of metal. I've only tried one side so far - be nice if one came out without a fight but I'm not usually that lucky.

Good luck mate - keep us posted.

big_wasa

posted on 3/11/15 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
One of mine was worse than the other but I was fairly lucky.
CorseChris

posted on 14/11/15 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Managed to get the shafts out. Bought a cheap hydraulic puller. Supposed to be rated at 10 tonnes. Did the trick anyway, although it did rather make a mess of the very end of one shaft - bent it. Gulp. Still, easily tidied up with the powerfile and the thread was OK. Don't yet know if I will be able to sue any of these driveshaft parts or not at this point - probably not, but I'll hang on to them for now. An easy win would have been if the Alfa outer CV fitted the MX-5 hub...no such luck. It was close though, couple of mm out.

I need to look at removing the MX-5 outer CV now. Manual says 'don't', so I need to figure out why that is. Trying to get away with just having custom shafts made and using stock MX outer CVs with stock inner Alfa ones. Ideally, the ones I already have.... I don't think I will risk doing a DIY cut & shut on the shafts though. Might be fine for making a template but not a wise idea for actually using. Still, all that is a long way in the future.

One wheel bearing came apart in all the excitement, and the other one was a bit noisy, so I'll change them both anyway.

MX-5 donor is now thoroughly dealt with....just have to take a few trips to the local tip to get rid of the bits.

Now the fun starts...trying to decide what I really really need to keep just in case, what I actually know I need and hopefully some stuff I put to one side that I was't sure about that I can convince myself to get shot of.

The MX-5 had 140k miles on the clock and looked pretty original. I stripped the engine into more manageable sized bits and the condition of the internals was really pretty impressive. No wonder nobody wants to buy spare engines for these things!

For the brakes, at the moment, I am thinking about using the Alfa calipers (4 pot Brembo at the front, big single piston at the back) with some bigger than stock Mazda discs and suitably sized master cylinders on probably a Wilwood pedalbox. Might DIY the pedalbox though- not decided yet. Just a thought at the moment though, don't know how the basic dimensions work out so I have some sums to do. I want to avoid custom discs & calipers if I can as they can get pretty pricey pretty quickly, and for what I intend using it for, not necessary. Do need to make sure it has good balance though, so need to add a bit of effort to the back brakes to make use of the rearward weight distribution. I got the balance wrong on my Stratos rep at first - way too much front bias, but once I had fitted some good sized rear discs, bigger piston rear calipers and a bigger front master cylinder, the brakes were excellent. Got some really good advice from a guy on that forum that helped me a lot. Wish I still had the numbers from that car - wold be useful now. Once again though, all very much a long way away.

So, way more than enough from me...any news from you guys?

[img][/img]

coozer

posted on 14/11/15 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
The Wilwood pedal box gets my vote, for the price its not worth the hours faffing about to make one is it??

And the iva man just might be impressed....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

CorseChris

posted on 23/11/15 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
See what you mean - cheap enough not to bother DIYing it and a nice bit of kit. Had a Tilton unit on my last build and that was pretty expensive, the Wilwood looks much better value.

Decided to keep it simple on the brakes in the end. I've got some 1.8 calipers & brackets now, so 255mm up front and I'll get some adapters so I can fit 270mm 'sport' discs at the back.

Sell the Brembo calipers off the Alfa to help pay for it.

CorseChris

posted on 4/1/16 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Come on guys....I'm in need of some motivation!!

Not done much on my project other than cooking rusty bits of Mazda and messing with wires really. I did manage to sell the Brembos, which was good, and picked up some nice adapters so I can use the bigger discs at the back. Also sold the roof from the donor MX-5, which was a result.

The electrolytic cleaning has worked really well, but I think I'm going to finish it off with a bit of a bath in Citric acid, followed by washing/drying then a final glass bead blast and paint process. I'm going to wait until the weather improves a bit before doing that though - could do with warmer less humid air.

Stripped down the rack the other day so I can check/clean etc. Need to de-rust the steering arms then lengthen them, and clean the main casing but so far, it all looks to be in good order. Even contemplated re-using the TREs, but they are a wee bit loose for my liking so have some new ones on order.

After cleaning and painting, I'm happy to re-use the lower balljoints at the front. Still in very good order mechanically.

Made a small start on stripping out the many, many unnecessary bits from the 166 loom. It's going to take a while..... No idea what they used to loom it up with, but it leaves a film of nasty sticky black goo all over the wires. Joy.

coozer

posted on 4/1/16 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
You need some motivation?? You've come a long way for me, that last pic of the motors on the garage floor has not changed one bit since I posted!!!

Did have look round the black Friday and the sales now to see if anyone had anything off the Wildwood pedal box but no no no....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

big_wasa

posted on 4/1/16 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Ha hah.

I am around the same as you guys. Just skirting around the edges and getting way laid with other projects and toys.

I have started to have a clear out. Emptying my garage and filling Coozers

Really thinking of buying jolly greens Viento. Hmm 4.0 v8 in the garage would slot in nicely.

coozer

posted on 4/1/16 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Thing is before I start stripping the zetecs down I need to put the V8 back together. Stripped it down in summer 2014, yes 2014 and gathered a new cam, followers and a timing set.. That was thisntime last year...

Rocker assembly's have been soaking in diesel for about 2 months now for no other reason I can't be bothered..

Toying with cutting my losses on the Jago, ditching it and starting the frame for Lana.. Need to think of a new name for it, maybe Apachie Motors for the manufacturer and 350S for the model. Apachie 350S

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

CorseChris

posted on 5/1/16 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
I've got no distractions other than a bit of decorating really. I'm just tinkering at the moment, trying to make best use of the odd hour or two here & there before I get properly stuck in later in the year after I finish work. I should really start practicing my MIG welding and learning how to TIG. Next day off I will probably go get some shielding gas in a sensible quantity and get cracking. Never know, could end up with a small man-shed business that way! (man-shed business being the modern replacement for a cottage industry....)

Still not clear on what I will do about welding equipment though. I have a cheap but surprisingly effective MIG and I bought a stupid-cheap TIG to play with. I think I'd like to TIG this build, and have pretty much decided to buy one new welder....just need to decide if it'll be TIG or MIG, based on how I get on with my experiments. If MIG, I think an ESAB Caddy 200i looks favorite, if TIG....I have no real idea at the moment so would welcome any suggestions. Ideally, similar budget to the Caddy, so about £700. Either way, I don't want to be doing a complete build using the kit I have. Ideally, and assuming I can learn to TIG well enough, keep the trusty MIG for tacking and odd jobs, then do the bulk of the welding with a half-decent TIG welder. Sell either the stupidly cheap TIG or the 'new' one after the build is done.

What are you chaps doing on the welding front?

coozer

posted on 5/1/16 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
I have a really good portmig 185. The best money I've ever spent on a welder. But I really want a tig as well. Was watching one of them Alaska series on discovery and the dude build a little grinder stand out of inch box with a tig off grid miles from anywhere. Not sure whether to start cheap or go the whole hog and get a 200 ac/dc from r-tech....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

big_wasa

posted on 5/1/16 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Just treated my self to the kemppi cousin of the Esab.

Only done two puddle welds upto yet but it's nice. That's the chassis sorted. I've got a Chinese Dc tig for manifolds and sumps ect but I am saving up for a nice middle of the range Ac/Dc 200a tig.Thermal arc or Rtech are top of my list as I doubt I can run to the kemmpi.

[Edited on 5/1/16 by big_wasa]

CorseChris

posted on 5/1/16 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, thanks chaps. R-Tech or kemppi. Spec wise, I think I was looking at similar features for the TIG.

One of the manifolds on my donor V6 has some bad cracking on one runner so that will be good practice for the cheap DC TIG. It's stainless, so that'll be interesting......

CorseChris

posted on 5/1/16 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
I think the R-Tech TIG161 would do me nicely. Can't see me needing 200A TBH, although the improved duty cycle on the TIG201 is worthwhile. Is it worth another £250 for a hobby user though?
coozer

posted on 5/1/16 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
£900 for the r tech..

What about this??

WELDER APEX TIG 200 AC/DC PULSE HF INVERTER ARC STICK AC DC

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

big_wasa

posted on 5/1/16 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
There are a few dodgy reviews of them.

I must be getting old but I don't fancy a £500 punt. At least with the Rtech it's well known it's Chinese but your paying for a warranty that's worth the paper it's written on. Even the American Thermal Arc is Chinese.

That said my first gen chinese dc tig is still going strong. It's a bit like the TV, I fancy a bigger better one but it just keeps going.

CorseChris

posted on 6/1/16 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
I should probably have a play with the cheap DC one I bought first....never know, it might be perfectly capable of doing what I need. Next day off I'll go get some HP Argon and get welding.

I think I would be a bit shy of spending £500 without some hope of support as well. R-Tech certainly seem to get glowing reviews.

Appreciate the thoughts chaps.

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.