Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Machine polisher & compound recommendation
PSpirine

posted on 21/4/15 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Machine polisher & compound recommendation

Attention locost collective!!

I need some advice on doing some polishing/paint shining. However, as I want to do this at a maximum keenness rating of "average", I thought I'd stay clear of the detailing forums where I'd end up being recommended to buy some insect wax from Polynesia that costs more than the car I'm polishing.

So.

I have a 1989 Rolls Royce in that great 80's "superfade" colour of red. It's a dark red, is original paint - as a result is not perfect, but held up great.

It's a bit flat in places, and I want to bring it back to its former glory. I've also been looking at getting a decent polisher for ages as I'll be doing the bodywork on my Westfield shortly, so I'll want something that I can use to wet-sand/polish/compound that as well.

What do I need to get? I was thinking of getting something like this Meguiars DA polisher, or similar DAS Detalyo/Kestrel etc:

Meguiars Dual Action Polisher Version 2

But beyond that I'm lost... what pads do I need, what is the polish/compound I use, what order to apply it in etc.?

How does one use these to compound fresh paint/wet sand?

Again, I'm not expecting concourse bodywork (it has imperfections and is burnt through the paint on a few small sharp edges already), so reasonably priced products would be appreciated, but equally I'm quite happy to buy decent stuff if it's going to be good!

Thanks

[Edited on 21/4/15 by PSpirine]

cliftyhanger

posted on 21/4/15 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Farecla G3 is good, in fact have a look at the whole range, some finer than others.
3M do some decent stuff too. The sort of thing bodyshops use, and hence it isn't overpriced.

mark chandler

posted on 21/4/15 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
DA's are slow, I got a silverline rotary polisher and a set of different meguires pads and compounds for my cars, you need a rotary with speed control.

Cannot help on pads, if the paint is very hard then you may need a wool pad, if soft a light pad.

Although you are trying to avoid detailing forums you need to read the advise on detailing world, they have a sticky for machine polishing.

Regards Mark

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 21/4/15 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
That's a fair amount of money for an "average" polishing job. Consider buying a £30 buffer if you're not overly into detailing.

As for products, Farecla are often used in body shops. I used to use AutoGlym products; paint renovator to start with, but found their super resin polish a bit "powdery" on finish, but worked on red a treat. Add a carnuba wax or deep shine coat on top to keep it looking good for longer.

Nowadays I use Meguiars wax (fresh paint job) and occasionally polish on older cars. Happy with the outcome; application takes longer, but less faffing at the end and no powdery residue.

Pays your money, takes your choice!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

robinj66

posted on 22/4/15 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
I've got one of these and it's been fine for home use (both grp & metal bodied cars).

I use the Farecla compounds (G3, G6 & G10)

sdh2903

posted on 22/4/15 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Da polisher safer but slower than rotary. I started with a DAS 6 But now use a variable speed rotary from cleanyourcar.com.
Farecla g3 is a little old hat and can be a bit rough.

Ive tried loads of compounds and polishes but I now use meguiars 105 and 205 on anything and everything With awesome results using hex logic pads. Ive used on cellulose, clearcoat and gelcoat. On faded paint and scratches.

Scuzzle

posted on 22/4/15 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
I use an adjustable speed grinder I got when it was on offer at Screwfix, ideal as a polisher just with a polishing head attached plus I use it as a grinder as well. Was only something like £35.
Slimy38

posted on 22/4/15 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
DA's are slow, I got a silverline rotary polisher and a set of different meguires pads and compounds for my cars, you need a rotary with speed control.

I have the same polisher, it is quicker but it's a bit risky as you can burn the paint.

Personally I just went for Autoglyms Super Resin Polish with a polisher sponge pad to apply, it's good for bringing paint out but it's not a proper paint correction. A layer of wax to protect it and it's good for 3 months or so of washing with bog standard cleaning products before it needs doing again.

[Edited on 22/4/15 by Slimy38]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.