Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Coding VW Keys
ash_hammond

posted on 26/10/15 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Coding VW Keys

Guys,

I was after some help with a 98 VW Golf.

The car came with a single key, which between me and my dad we lost! We managed to get a replacement key from VW that works the locks and ignition OK.

The car will fire and run for 2 seconds and then dies. The fault code basically says key not authorized. We have spoken to VW and they say about £150 to code the key.

Is it only VW that can code these Or can it be done my an independent VW garage or even better at home?

Thanks
Ash

.: www.mac1motorsports.co.uk | www.m1moc.com :.

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 26/10/15 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Yes it can be done by someone else as long as they have the right equipment , lots of mobile guys can do this sort of thing .
Slimy38

posted on 26/10/15 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
A fair few locksmiths can do it as well. There is a place in Coventry that I've used who can code any key to any car. For my Toledo (which was essentially the same as your Golf), it cost me £65 for a plain key that was cut and encoded to the car. I could have had a flip key for £120, but as it was my spare key I wasn't bothered about having another flip key.

Here's one in Sheffield;

http://www.autolocksmithsheffield.org/key-programming.html

tegwin

posted on 26/10/15 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Vw used a couple of different immobiliser systems. Some keys can be cloned and some can't.

Most locksmiths have a machine which can read the transponder chip in the existing key and imprint that code into a blank key. You can only encode a transponder once.... I have a 2001 polo and can't clone the keys because they are an obscure transponder. The only way for me to code new keys into the ecu is to get vw to do it...so if your lucky you can clone....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

luke2152

posted on 26/10/15 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
You could try (getting someone with VCDS software) to code it to USA/Canada spec. I don't think they got immobiliser's til early 2000's
obfripper

posted on 27/10/15 at 12:04 AM Reply With Quote
Have you got the original factory black keytag? Keytag

It should have a scratch off section which will have the immobiliser code on, which can be used with vcds and some aftermarket diagnostics to program the key.

If not, a vag tacho usb interface (ebay) can read the immobiliser code from the immobiliser/instruments. It can also program keys, however i would not use it for this function as it can glitch and mess up the immobiliser.

Dave

jollygreengiant

posted on 27/10/15 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
I suspect that most of you have missed the part of the question here that is applicable. The ONLY original key has been lost in this case so no key available with ANY encoding.

In this case I suspect that the ONLY way out is to visit the dealers and pay the money for ONE encoded key, then, after that, cheaper options can be sought.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

pmc_3

posted on 27/10/15 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
I would see if I could find a cheap used ECU with keys, change the ECU over and swap the transponder chip in to the new key you have.
ash_hammond

posted on 27/10/15 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. Yes, the original key was lost, so the only key we have is the non coded key we got from VW based on the chassis number.

Russell

posted on 28/10/15 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pmc_3
I would see if I could find a cheap used ECU with keys, change the ECU over and swap the transponder chip in to the new key you have.

VWs of that era also have the immobiliser linked to the dashboard. You'd need to change the instruments too (and the ignition barrel etc)
Without the original key I suggest a VW dealer is the best option.

I'm a bilingual illiterate. I can't read in two languages.

nick205

posted on 28/10/15 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
It's not cheap, but a VW dealer is most likely your best bet!

I gave a co. Passat back with a £10 key off ebay, the collector could not have been less bothered.

nick205

posted on 14/12/15 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
To add to the thread, I recently flattened the battery on my Passat (57 plate). Charged it fine, got the car started, but realised I didn't have the radio code - arse!

To their credit, the local VW dealer charged £28 to unlock it for me - I thought that was OK.

Minicooper

posted on 14/12/15 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Timpsons the ones in little huts in supermarket car parks, do coded keys as long as they have one to copy

David

ash_hammond

posted on 14/12/15 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
We got this sorted thanks.

An autolock smith came, took the ECU out, plugged it into his computer, coded the vw key, cut a second key and replaced the whole lot for £120.

I thought it was a bargain, VW wanted lots more and we needed to take the car to them.

nick205

posted on 14/12/15 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Sorted - seems a reasonable deal to me

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.