New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: scratch build with new reg please
Julian B

posted on 27/4/16 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
scratch build with new reg please

Hi Guys
I'm thinking of a new scratch build and I would like a new registration

My plans are these
Buy a Lexus v8 and strip it of its engine keep the v5 but sell the rest for wonga
Buy a supra gearbox for it
Use Sierra bits for the axles and brakes
Possibly use a freelander diff

What's the score with this bag of bits. Am I heading into Q land

Let's assume that all bits other than the engine are new or have invoices from manufacturers to say they are "as new "

kingster996

posted on 27/4/16 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Strictly speaking for a new reg every single part except one "reconditioned to as new" part must be brand new.

For an age related plate you need a few major components such as engine gearbox drivetrain to quality and the v5.

Otherwise it's s Q.

Many people manage to buy new parts from Microsoft Word.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

z2000

posted on 27/4/16 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
I'm prepared to be corrected but if everything is *new* except one major component (engine in your case) then I believe you could get a new reg.

If it isn't broken; take it apart and fix it! Build PhotoBlog:
http://z2000.co.uk

leew2

posted on 27/4/16 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Am I correct thinking only the "major components" have to be brand new, or does every single last nut and bolt have to also be "new" with receipts?
tegwin

posted on 27/4/16 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
As an asside... does a 'new' reg kit car have to comply with new emissions standards?

If its an old engine wouldn't it be better to have it tested by the standards to which it was intended?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

benjo

posted on 27/4/16 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Many people manage to buy new parts from Microsoft Word.

PMSL wonder how true that is

kingster996

posted on 27/4/16 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leew2
Am I correct thinking only the "major components" have to be brand new, or does every single last nut and bolt have to also be "new" with receipts?

Technically yes, but they only ask for major components plus some evidence of the one refurbished item.

So, technically, there should be very, very few new registrations as many, many cars use refurbished diffs and gearboxes even if they have a crate engine. I mean can you even buy a new Sierra diff?

[Edited on 27/4/16 by kingster996]

loggyboy

posted on 27/4/16 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
As an asside... does a 'new' reg kit car have to comply with new emissions standards?

If its an old engine wouldn't it be better to have it tested by the standards to which it was intended?

Its based on engine age (design age)

Mistral Motorsport

kingster996

posted on 27/4/16 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Emissions go with age of engine. So you could use new bits and a refurbished 1993 engine and not need a cat for example.

tegwin

posted on 27/4/16 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kingster996
quote:

Emissions go with age of engine. So you could use new bits and a refurbished 1993 engine and not need a cat for example.

Ahh that makes more sense!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

loggyboy

posted on 27/4/16 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kingster996
Technically yes, but they only ask for major components plus some evidence of the one refurbished item.

So, technically, there should be very, very few new registrations as many, many cars use refurbished different and gearboxes even if they have a crate engine. I mean can you even buy a new Sierra diff?

But the list of new components checked is:

- Chassis / Monocoque
- suspension (front and back)
- Axles (both)
- Transmission
- Steering Assembly
- Engine

Meaning Gearbox and Diff are both classed as one component - so can both be refurbed.

This is where BECs can struggle as gearbox and engines are often physically combined, but can be classed as 2 components for registration, so you cant just refurb the bikes engine to as new.

TO answer OPs question, no you coudnt have a new reg based on what you propose, but you could easily retain the age of the donor (meaning no Q stigma (amongst uninformed), and personalised reg options) - which is about the only benefits of a donor age over a Q plate.

Mistral Motorsport

kingster996

posted on 27/4/16 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Good call on the transmission, but many use a refurbished engine and somehow have a "new" type 9 and Sierra diff

I deliberately applied for a Q. Much better in my opinion (future mots a doddle and tune the engine for power, ageless too)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.