Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Air intake options, opinions welcome!
dome

posted on 20/5/16 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Air intake options, opinions welcome!

Hi guys.

I have my Locost in bits just now sorting out a few issues and one thing I'd like to do is get more (or indeed any) cold air into my intake.

This is my current setup

There is no source of cold air into the filter at all so I was looking at my options.

I've done a search and have looked at the lines of a mini cooper vent or naca duct(s) but thought I'd get some opinions before I bite the bullet. My intake seems to be further forward than most do I'm struggling for ideas.

Would it be feasible to mount the radiator at an angle so that I could route cold air in through the nose? This would be a tidier setup than putting in vents/scoops.

I have no issues getting warm air out of the engine bay due to the big hole cut in my bonnet, I just need to get some cold air in

tegwin

posted on 20/5/16 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Hard to see from the photos but could you rotate the blue pipe 90 degrees so the filter is pointing down and then remove some of the white shroud around the radiator on the offside to allow cold air around the raidator and into the filter? Even add a bit of a duct to scoop air from the side of the radiator and force it into the filter?

[Edited on 20/5/16 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Ben_Copeland

posted on 20/5/16 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Filter
Filter

You could fit something like this.

Sealed air filter, with direct cold feed from I front of the radiator.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

dome

posted on 20/5/16 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
Hard to see from the photos but could you rotate the blue pipe 90 degrees so the filter is pointing down and then remove some of the white shroud around the radiator on the offside to allow cold air around the raidator and into the filter? Even add a bit of a duct to scoop air from the side of the radiator and force it into the filter?

[Edited on 20/5/16 by tegwin]

That's possible although I'd rather source the air from higher up if possible. Maybe just me.

dome

posted on 20/5/16 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
Filter
Filter

You could fit something like this.

Sealed air filter, with direct cold feed from I front of the radiator.

Aye, something like that could work, I'll maybe have a play and see what i can do. The joys of these cars is you get to make it up as you go along

Smoking Frog

posted on 20/5/16 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
If you have room below the rad you could do somthing like this which lines up with a vent in the bottom of the nosecone.
Cold air intake
Cold air intake

Vmax1974

posted on 20/5/16 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
I have some vents for sale they are vac formed and clear so easy to paint on the back

They are 18 quid posted

dome

posted on 1/6/16 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
I think I've got a solution to this one. My existing radiator fills the nosecone so after searching on here I've ordered a VW Polo one which should be around 100mm shorter. I can then duct some cold air over the radiator into my eagerly awaiting filter.

What would you guys suggest as a suitable for material for ducting over the radiator?

bi22le

posted on 1/6/16 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
I would be looking at 2-3mm polyprop or 1.5mm ali depending on your look and skill set.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

dome

posted on 1/6/16 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
I would be looking at 2-3mm polyprop or 1.5mm ali depending on your look and skill set.

My skill set is somewhere below zero so ali is out. Polyprop sounds like the way forward, whatever that is...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.