Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Paying non returnable deposit for car unseen
cryoman1965

posted on 9/11/16 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Paying non returnable deposit for car unseen

Going to wakefield from southampton on Saturday to look at a corsa vxr nurburgring at Syntners dealership. Its an 8 hour round trip to see if my son wants the car, then a return the following weekend to buy it.
They say the car is top condition and wont be disappointed by its appearance. There are no dinks or scratchs or accident repair. The chances are he will like and want it.
We have the option of a non refundable deposit for them to prep the car and we will take it away this saturday.

Not into paying up front for this just in case its not for him but also don, t fancy a second trip nxt weekend.

Whats yoyr views on this.

cheers

Nige

TrophyJem

posted on 9/11/16 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Every dealer will tell you a car is perfect even when it's not. That's franchised dealers, the lot.
I've travelled half the country to look at so called prefect cars only to be very disappointed.

Slimy38

posted on 9/11/16 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Is there someone in Wakefield who could give it a quick once over and make sure it's at least worth making the trip?
sdh2903

posted on 9/11/16 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
Tell them to prep it and if they are so confident it's perfect then you'll buy it.

I'm with trophyjem on this. My idea of a "mint" car is very different to many of the sellers that I've been to see over the years. I once went to see a "mint" bmw 3 series that you could see through the rear wings. Even flew one way from Glasgow to Southampton to buy an "excellent condition" 306 rallye, I ended up buying another ticket home, it was crap.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 9/11/16 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
I've never seen a mint 2nd hand car at a dealership. Always something they've not mentioned hoping you'll buy it anyway because you've made the trip.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 9/11/16 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
If your putting a holding deposit on the car get in writing or e/ mail the condition etc of the car and if your not happy with it you get a full refund . I did this on a Mercedes in Manchester they also sent me a walk round video of the car , when I picked it up a week later it was as described and I was happy and bought it . This is pretty much standard these days .
steve m

posted on 9/11/16 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
I believe a deposit, is for you to pay, to secure the car, yet if you decide its not for you, the deposit stays with the garage, as you will of precluded anyone else buying the car

as for the "mint" corsa, mmm, thinks it may of been 10+ years ago, but now will be full of filler, and overspray

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

B33fy

posted on 9/11/16 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with SDH, tell them to prep the car and you will make a bank transfer on the day and drive it away if it's any good. I wouldn't pay anyone a deposit, if they don't have the decency to hold the car for you to view, tell them to poke it and walk away. Another car will come up pretty quickly.
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 9/11/16 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
If you don't put a holding deposit you could drive all the way there to find out they have just sold it (wasted journey ) ! If you look at it from the dealers side of things they have a lot of time wasters that don't turn up !
britishtrident

posted on 9/11/16 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Walk away ---

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

perksy

posted on 9/11/16 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Had a mate who did a similar thing and he paid a deposit to 'secure' the car

The car was pants when he traveled to view it and he had a right game to get the deposit back

"that's fair wear and tear Sir...." Yeah right....

nick205

posted on 10/11/16 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Southampton to Wakefield and back once is a long journey, twice is just hard work. I'd NOT pay a non-refundable deposit on their suggestion it's mint - in my experience 2nd hand cars never are (most brand new ones aren't either).

I have to say I'm not a VX man myself and not familiar with the model. That said, there must be cars closer to Southampton you could look at. The name "VXR Nurburgring" makes it sound an insurance delight (£££).

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/11/16 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
have you checked the insurance first? if not you might be surprised

if the car is so great why is it not already sold? Chances are it's already had a hard life being a sporty model, I'd pay particular attention to the engine, clutch and brakes and make sure it has a full service history. It probably got totally thrashed from day one....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 10/11/16 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a cynical old git, so ignore me. However, if you choose not to, be careful. Other people's idea of 'perfec', 'massiv spek', 'ezy fix' are, more often that not, my idea of a restoration project.

Go and look at the car, decide whether to buy it or not.
If it's acceptable, then, and only then, hand over a deposit for them to prepare the car for subsequent collection. Get any rectification that you want as part of the deal, in writing.
If in doubt, walk away.

Remember that someone deposited this car at the dealership, probably for a lot less than it's perceived 'value', think why.

tweek

posted on 10/11/16 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
If it's 'mint', why do they need to 'prep' it?

"oh dear..." said god,
"I hadn't thought of that"
and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic

cryoman1965

posted on 10/11/16 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
I believe a deposit, is for you to pay, to secure the car, yet if you decide its not for you, the deposit stays with the garage, as you will of precluded anyone else buying the car

as for the "mint" corsa, mmm, thinks it may of been 10+ years ago, but now will be full of filler, and overspray

They wanted the deposit so they would prep the car on the Friday so I could drive it away on the saturday. Looking at the pictures they have of the car it seems to be in very good condition..

Paying the deposit and finding something unseen inthe photos seems wrong with no re-dress.

Here the car. Not too concerned about filler. Hopefully

http://www.sytner.co.uk/car-search/6590572-vauxhall-corsa-1.6-t-vxr-nurburgring-edition-3dr/

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 10/11/16 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
How much deposit do they want ? If it's a decent dealer they should refund the deposit if it's not as described .

[Edited on 10/11/16 by ian locostzx9rc2]

r1_pete

posted on 10/11/16 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
How about using one of the car inspection services? some of them will do a phone commentary and provide picture and video evidence of any problem areas in real time so you can discuss.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
killerferret666

posted on 10/11/16 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
What prep needs to be done, A valet?

If that's the case. Don't pay the despoist, pay on the day if you want it. Hell even knock them down because you are saving the prep.

Then get a local valeting company to come round and do a really good wash and clean inside and out for about £35 as a treat for the son. (and a saved 2nd journey)

[Edited on 10/11/16 by killerferret666]

Building DDR GT4

Miami Gt4 Blog - Click Here

morcus

posted on 10/11/16 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
My dad always says when buying from a dealer never plan on coming home with the car the first time you go to see it and the one time I didn't follow that advice it came back to bite me. My dad also is always going on about the preparation con, usually it means the car needs minor body work/paint work or bits inside being cleaned or put back on, and as he says, if the car is decent and thus should sell fairly quickly, why haven't they done that already?

A refundable deposit for them not to sell the car to anyone else is fair enough, but you shouldn't pay a dealer upfront to 'prepare' a car before you've seen it.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

obfripper

posted on 10/11/16 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
One thing to note with the car; the 100,000 mile/lifetime manufacturers warranty is only applicable to the first owner but has been listed as a feature in the specs.
I would press the dealer to supply an insurance based warranty equivalent to the manufacturers 1st owner warranty inclusive with the vehicle. They may try to sell you this sort of cover as an extra for 3-400 quid on top, it should be inclusive, not an extra.
A lot of vauxhall dealers have to do this for pre-registered cars, as the full warranty is lost with the pre reg owner and is reduced for consecutive owners to 2yr/60,000miles.

Dave

Adamirish

posted on 10/11/16 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
I thought all the Nurburgring edition cars were white?

Probably/might be wrong though.

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

turnipfarmer

posted on 10/11/16 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
+1 for Mercedes of Manchester.

Got a great SLK from them, bought exactly the same way Ian Locost described.

They even delivered it free to my door!

Grimsdale

posted on 11/11/16 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
very soft focus low resolution images - call my cynical but i'm suspicious.

spot the misalignment of the front bumper / wing on images 13 and 27. possible colour mismatch too.

why is the driver's side door seal wonky? has it been taken off for paint? image 18.

panel gap between bonnet and headlight appears different on each side, image 6. Passenger side wing certainly closer than bonnet.

Feel free to have a look, but i wouldn't any money down in advance, regardless of apparent faults or not.

cryoman1965

posted on 11/11/16 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adamirish
I thought all the Nurburgring edition cars were white?

Probably/might bet wrong though.

Arctic edition

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.