Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MK indy rover V8?
Ajcrabba

posted on 6/4/17 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
MK indy rover V8?

Hi sorry if this is in the wrong place please remove if it is, its my first post.

Im interested in getting my first kit car and my favourite style is the Mk indy. And was wondering how easy and if it is possible if a 3.5 rover V8 would fit in one? And if so what gearbox would you suggest? And if you think it is worth it?

Thanks very much

CosKev3

posted on 7/4/17 at 03:56 AM Reply With Quote
It has been done in the older MK indy chassis for sure,but not sure if it has with the newer Indy R/RR.

Why do you fancy that engine out of interest?

IMO it's a bit old hat now

Toprivetguns

posted on 7/4/17 at 06:08 AM Reply With Quote
The Audi v8 lumps are good money now mated with an RX8 gearbox.

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

Ajcrabba

posted on 7/4/17 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
It has been done in the older MK indy chassis for sure,but not sure if it has with the newer Indy R/RR.

Why do you fancy that engine out of interest?

IMO it's a bit old hat now

I just fancy sticking some sort of V8 in one really but id be open to other options if there was more practical engines out there do you have any suggestions?

And also the V8's grumble is always a plus

Irony

posted on 7/4/17 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
You will get lots of people in here grumbling and moaning about putting a V8 in a seven. They will whinge about the weight and fuel economy etc etc etc etc - boring. What they don't realise is that when someone needs a V8 rumble nothing else will do. The end. On a personal note I don't know how people stand having bike engines in there cars, ugh the noise is terrible.

If your new to engineering and you want a V8 then there is no better choice than a Rover V8. Its been done to death, every problem has been solved and there plentiful. If you have a bit more knowledge then either a Audi V8 or a 1UZFE is the way to go. I don't know much about the AUDI but the main issue with the 1UZFE is getting a manual gearbox to mate with it.

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 7/4/17 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
I agree - also the RV8 is quite narrow being single cam.

lots of the newer are DOHC on each side and certainly in the Quantum Xtreme would stand no chance of fitting in width ways - never mind length.

CosKev3

posted on 7/4/17 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
You will get lots of people in here grumbling and moaning about putting a V8 in a seven. They will whinge about the weight and fuel economy etc etc etc etc - boring. What they don't realise is that when someone needs a V8 rumble nothing else will do. The end. On a personal note I don't know how people stand having bike engines in there cars, ugh the noise is terrible.

If your new to engineering and you want a V8 then there is no better choice than a Rover V8. Its been done to death, every problem has been solved and there plentiful. If you have a bit more knowledge then either a Audi V8 or a 1UZFE is the way to go. I don't know much about the AUDI but the main issue with the 1UZFE is getting a manual gearbox to mate with it.

I might consider a V8 when I get old and retire (as I presume you are ) to puttle about in and listen to the burble!

Irony

posted on 7/4/17 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

I might consider a V8 when I get old and retire (as I presume you are ) to puttle about in and listen to the burble!

The cheek! I am a spritely 37 and I considered myself young when I started the build. I wouldn't call 0-60 in 5 secs 'puttling' and it weighs 700kg. To be honest unless I meet a 'proper' sportscar the only thing I can't pass on the road is a petrol station.

To be honest I do drive like a Grandad.
[Edited on 7/4/17 by Irony]

CosKev3

posted on 7/4/17 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

The cheek! I am a spritely 37 and I considered myself young when I started the build. I wouldn't call 0-60 in 5 secs 'puttling' and it weighs 700kg. To be honest unless I meet a 'proper' sportscar the only thing I can't pass on the road is a petrol station.

I can pass both with my little 1000cc bike engine

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 7/4/17 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
and with Bike Throttle bodies on the RV8 I could pass a surprisingly high number of petrol stations !

(I to am far from retired at just 40 (tho the kit has gone) but had it in my 30s for a few years!)

it may have been a burble at tick over but foot down it was described as 2 Harley Davidson going for it

scudderfish

posted on 7/4/17 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
If you want a V8 do it! It's your car to build to your requirements. When I was trying to work out what sort of kit I wanted my mind wandered along this route over time before I finally got one Dax Rush V8 -> Rush BEC -> MK Indy BEC -> Fisher Fury BEC -> Fisher Fury V8.

RV8 is easy, with a wide choice of carbs or injection solutions depending on what you want. They are all also approximately the same size so once you get bored with 3.5L, you can drop a 5.5L monster straight in As with any engine you will find horror stories on the internet about slipped liners or cracked blocks but frankly if that happens, hoik it out and put another in. I love the fact that my engine is too big to fit in the car and that amongst the three cars in my household, the average number of cylinders is 6.66

RV8 will not make huge power, expect circa 160bhp for a 3.5 but peak power is not where the fun is, it's torque that you feel as the shove in the back, especially when it comes with a cavalry charge soundtrack. Whilst not explicitly kit car http://www.v8forum.co.uk/ is a great source of info.

Regards,
David

scudderfish

posted on 7/4/17 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Oh yes, update your location to something a bit more specific, there may be people local to you
Simon

posted on 8/4/17 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
If you want a V8, do it. Ignore the whingers saying it won't go around corners - it will; just fine.

Did mine 15 years ago and sold 5 years ago to pay for extension.

Would I do it again, don't know maybe with a Jaguar v8 or twin turbo diesel 😅

Currently doing a 1uzfe v8 independent (RX8) suspensioned Scimitar.

mad4x4

posted on 18/9/17 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Jag v6 3.0ltr

i'd been hankering after v engine for a while and eventually opted for a JAG 6V 3.0 Manual from an S Type.

We lowered it into the chassis yesterday, It fits between the rails and only the tunnel is slightly to narrow, guess if we move the sheet plate to the inside of the box that will giv us the width, The sump clears the the chassis at front... Only problem I forsee at the moment is height for bonnet nose cone, But my just need a SCOPE. will know more once I get it down into the tunnel better.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

40inches

posted on 18/9/17 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad4x4
i'd been hankering after v engine for a while and eventually opted for a JAG 6V 3.0 Manual from an S Type.

We lowered it into the chassis yesterday, It fits between the rails and only the tunnel is slightly to narrow, guess if we move the sheet plate to the inside of the box that will giv us the width, The sump clears the the chassis at front... Only problem I forsee at the moment is height for bonnet nose cone, But my just need a SCOPE. will know more once I get it down into the tunnel better.

Check my photo archive, done around 2000 miles so far. I had to lift the scuttle, bonnet and nose cone 1/2", I used ally 1/2"x 1" tube.
https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=gal&user=40inches&folder=AJ30

40inches

posted on 18/9/17 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toprivetguns
The Audi v8 lumps are good money now mated with an RX8 gearbox.

Will not go into a MK chassis. I tried

coozer

posted on 18/9/17 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
There a rover v8 going in mine, purely for the soundtrack...

Oulton Park gold cup to blame, woken up early Sunday morning to a lovely soundtrack of v8s warming up...

It's going to have a Toyota supra gearbox behind it powering a Jimmy 4x4 system...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

kenton

posted on 18/9/17 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
I love having a V8 in my kit, Ok its far from a standard 3.5
You will find you can buy a good car already built and proven to be reliable cheaper than you can build from scratch.
Just so happens I have one for sale
http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/topic/124248-luego-viento/
Open to offers as its the "wrong" time of year.
Kenton

r1_pete

posted on 18/9/17 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Not a kit, but a porsche 944, it had to have a V8, here it is, fully rebuilt 3.5, dynamically balanced, mild ported 4.6 heads, modified THOR induction, presently putting the megasquirt loom together.

If only a V8 will do, just go for it.

V8 one
V8 one

[Edited on 18/9/17 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SCAR

posted on 19/9/17 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Spend more time looking at the engine bay than driving it
[img] Description
Description
[/img]

alfas

posted on 29/10/17 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
and what most people moaning about the weight of a v8 forget:

the rover v8 is all alloy
ford“s pinto (early mk“s often came with such an engine)..is all casted iron

surprisingly the weight of both engiens is roughly the same

Simon

posted on 29/10/17 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
I used a rover v8 in my scratchbuild and it was a proper laugh if quite undergeared.

Would I do it again? No, I'd either go down a different more modern v8 or a modern diesel as for most of the time you are chugging along with the rest of the sheep.

alfas

posted on 30/10/17 at 02:18 AM Reply With Quote
if you take a 2nd hand rover v8, you most likely end with a tired engine with low power output. why? those engines suffer from camshaft wear....so the 1st question when buying a rover v8 is: "was the camshaft ever replaced?"...and the 1st thing you should do on a rover v8 b4 fitting it to any car: "change the camshaft"

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.