Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How far can you drive with no alternator
mookaloid

posted on 10/7/17 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
How far can you drive with no alternator

Alternator has given up on the tintop - it's a particularly awkward one to get at so I'm gonna pay someone to do it. I therefore need to take it to a garage.

Question is how far can one drive on a fully charged battery before it gives up?

Car is a Saab 9-5 petrol by the way.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

sonic

posted on 10/7/17 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hello Mark

Once drove a diesel Honda Civic 4 miles or so with it not charging at all, make sure you turn everything off though, radio heater etc etc. when I stopped at the garage it started again without a problem to get it on the ramp so probably gone further

Mick

sonic

posted on 10/7/17 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hello Mark

Once drove a diesel Honda Civic 4 miles or so with it not charging at all, make sure you turn everything off though, radio heater etc etc. when I stopped at the garage it started again without a problem to get it on the ramp so probably gone further

Mick

mookaloid

posted on 10/7/17 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Hiya Mick,

Long time no see

I'm looking at 20 miles .....

NigeEss

posted on 10/7/17 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
A friend of mine drove his Volvo V70 AWD petrol to and from work for a week, 8 miles each way
purely on the battery.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

sonic

posted on 10/7/17 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Wow what happened then..........

Hello mate, are you not hill climbing anymore at Harewood ?, have you got a spare battery you could take just in case

mookaloid

posted on 10/7/17 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
That's encouraging Nige

Not hillclimbed for a while now .... I seem to spend most of my weekends on my bike nowadays

britishtrident

posted on 10/7/17 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Coils average out at 3 amps, fuel pump draws 5 or 6 amps average on a petrol more on a diesel, injectors about 1 amp wipers 5 amps adds up to about 15 amps to run the engine.

Apart from the lights the massive loads are heater blower, heated rear window and heated seats.
Remember also the chrage capacity of of a battery gets less with age even on a "good" battery so a 65ah battery might only have 15 ah you can take out it before the voltage drops off and the battery suffers deep discharge damage.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

jacko

posted on 10/7/17 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Getting lazy in your old age
or getting wise
Hi Mark
Have you had a go with the van front yet ?
G

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Coils average out at 3 amps, fuel pump draws 5 or 6 amps average on a petrol more on a diesel, injectors about 1 amp wipers 5 amps adds up to about 15 amps to run the engine.

Apart from the lights the massive loads are heater blower, heated rear window and heated seats.
Remember also the chrage capacity of of a battery gets less with age even on a "good" battery so a 65ah battery might only have 15 ah you can take out it before the voltage drops off and the battery suffers deep discharge damage.

ok so I have a 9 month old 70AH battery. I should get an hour out of it no problem if I turn all non essentials off?

loggyboy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-24367601

Mistral Motorsport

coyoteboy

posted on 10/7/17 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Did 36 miles, at night, in my Peugeot Diesel when the fan belt snapped. 2.0 hdi. Was still going strong.

steve m

posted on 10/7/17 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
I ran a yankee 2.3 Ford Merkur for weeks with a duff alternator years ago, and with lights on, as it was dark, as no one in the uk could source one according to the part numbers,
But I did carry a fully charged battery in the boot, and jump leads in the event it wouldn't start, I believe it did pretty well most times

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

mookaloid

posted on 10/7/17 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-24367601

he he I won't be doing that

luke2152

posted on 10/7/17 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
I did about 100 motorway miles in an older audi a6 with broken alternator belt with lights and everything else I could turn off turned off.
SteveWallace

posted on 10/7/17 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
My alternator packed in just after I set out for IVA. Only about 5 miles to the test centre but it lasted all the way through IVA and the drive back home.

"I know every nut and bolt and cog in that car, I built it myself" - The Prisoner, 1967

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 10/7/17 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Fully charged battery with everything turned off 20 to 30 mile shouldn't be an issue .
luke2152

posted on 10/7/17 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
Alternator has given up on the tintop - it's a particularly awkward one to get at so I'm gonna pay someone to do it. I therefore need to take it to a garage.

Question is how far can one drive on a fully charged battery before it gives up?

Have you looked at removing the alternator through the right wheel arch? I can't say if its doable for sure but I changed an alternator belt on 9-5 a while back through the wheel arch and it was very easy

mookaloid

posted on 10/7/17 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by luke2152
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid

Have you looked at removing the alternator through the right wheel arch? I can't say if its doable for sure but I changed an alternator belt on 9-5 a while back through the wheel arch and it was very easy

Apparently some of the mounting bolts are a swine to get to without a ramp - I don't have the time or the inclination just now so although it goes against the grain, I'm gonna take the easy way out

SteveRST

posted on 10/7/17 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
I've been all the way up the Stelvio and down the Bormio without an alternator on a small battery. If that helps.

Angel Acevedo

posted on 10/7/17 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
I did once about 60 miles from the time the Batt light went on until it stalled.
2011 Dodge Journey, 2.4 Petrol engine, Auto transmission.
I turned everything off, rolled the electric windows down (so we didn´t cook ourselves)
I reckon the alternator failure may have been a few minutes before that;

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SteveWalker

posted on 10/7/17 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
It depends completely upon the car and I don't know Saabs.

I once drove 125 miles with no alternator in a Rover 400 (416) petrol, but had a Focus 1.8 TDCI stop after less than 10 miles - that didn't even bring the alternator light on, the first sign was loss of power steering, followed immediately by every light on the dash lighting up and the engine losing all power.

Irony

posted on 11/7/17 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
I drove to my IVA 60 miles there and back. Then I did another 100 miles before my battery went flat. My alternator wasn't charging do to me wiring a LED charge light into the system. LEDs don't draw enough power to start the charging process apparently.

So I did at least 160 miles in my V8 kit before conking out.

WallerZero

posted on 11/7/17 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
I managed 12 miles with my kit before a battery booster was needed to start it again, then did about 5 miles....then my booster ran out of juice too

http://zachsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk/

mookaloid

posted on 11/7/17 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Well I can report that it made 25 miles to the destination this morning taking about an hour in traffic. A few flashes of the battery warning light but otherwise it coped

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.