Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Plastic-like material for gap filling?
jps

posted on 6/6/18 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Plastic-like material for gap filling?

I have some gaps between my GRP bodywork and my chassis rails that I want to fill. Unfortunately these gaps are between the top of the chassis rails either side of the cockpit - and the top return on the GRP side panels. I.e. the bit you push down on with your hands to lift yourself out of the car!!

My plan is to make some very snug fit wedges to go into the space between the rail and the GRP - which I will then bond in with plenty of sikaflex - which will fill any small voids that I can't get snug with the wedges. Any suggestions on the material to use?

My current plan is to fashion the wedge from some plastic facia board - i.e. this stuff

You can see the beginings of the gap in the left hand side of the pic below, it is about 10mm by the wheelarch end of the side panel

Description
Description

[Edited on 6/6/18 by jps]

nick205

posted on 6/6/18 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
UPVC windows and doors are often fitted with plastic packing wedges, available in a variety of colours and thicknesses. That might help you fill any voids between the GRP and the chassis rails. When I fitted my GRP panels I rivetted the top return lips of the GRP to the top of the chassis rails (through some alloy edge trim) to hold things in place. You're correct that that edge bears driver and passenger weght as you enter and exit the car.

photo here to show (although you can't actuallysee the rivets).

[Edited on 6/6/18 by nick205]

SJ

posted on 6/6/18 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
How big are the gaps? Can't you just some some suitable sealant or mastic?
jps

posted on 6/6/18 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
How big are the gaps? Can't you just some some suitable sealant or mastic?

It's a wedge shape, at the point where the dashboard sits it's flush, by the time you get to the back, by the wheel arch, it's at least 10mm. And I'm not confident a sealant in such a big gap will go hard enough to allow me to push down on the panel to get out of the car. Hence I want to fill the majority of the gap with something solid and just use Sika to secure it/fill the final tiny voids.

Bluemoon

posted on 6/6/18 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Could you rock the panel so the dash to wheel arches are flush only the bonnet area would need spacers? Might simplify the job?

Or cut the GRP and re-join along the fold line (can be done but not so easy).

cliftyhanger

posted on 6/6/18 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
I was going to suggest packers,but then thought about car body filler. That should be adequate and easy to use.
steve m

posted on 6/6/18 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
I used black windscreen mastic to fill the voids, and never had an issue yet,

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

bi22le

posted on 6/6/18 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
I was going to suggest packers,but then thought about car body filler. That should be adequate and easy to use.

Too brittle surely?

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Angel Acevedo

posted on 6/6/18 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
PU adhesive will be stiff enough..
just see how hard the stuff goes off on the tube.
It will be easy enough to apply too, but I don´t think you can get the panel off on one piece should you need to do so.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PAULD

posted on 7/6/18 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
3 m's seam sealer, and put a fillet around anywhere that water could get between chassis and body panels while you are at it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.