Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: oriming oil pump and block with rebuild
bikecarbfred

posted on 28/10/18 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
oriming oil pump and block with rebuild

1) can you use starter motor to prime oil around block

2) can you use impact fun on camshaft bolt to prime oil around the block

p.s new cylinders and camshafts installed.

[Edited on 28/10/18 by bikecarbfred]

redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Run 2 ltr Black Top in single seater race car.

posted on 28/10/18 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
Depending on the engine of course, and that you liberally covered everything with oil when the rebuild took place I would say, take the plugs out and crank it on the starter motor.....
New cams should be smothered in cam lube....

[Edited on 28/10/18 by redturner]

SPYDER

posted on 28/10/18 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there. I am building a new engine and have filled the oil pump with the same Joe Gibbs HVL High Viscosity lubricant that I have used on the bearings. If you can pre-fill your pump with something similar then do so. Fill your filter with your chosen engine oil. You might be able to pre-fill your block galleries via the feed hole in the top of the block.
I will also be using special cam lube and initial running will be on Gibbs BR30 breaking in oil.
The cam lube is a must. The first few minutes of running are critical. Plenty of advice to be found on the net, most of which agrees on initial start up procedure. However, many builders are then going straight to rolling road, full power runs after only minutes of running.
Don't use your impact gun to spin the engine. Use the starter if you intend to check for oil pressure. Having said that, I will not be spinning the engine to build pressure. I'm going for starting straight away.

Angel Acevedo

posted on 28/10/18 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Some builders fill the oil pump with vaseline to aid priming without any mechanical priming.
Break in oil only stays for a few hundred miles so I don´t see anything wrong with that.

Las time I assembled a new engine was a good 30 years ago and I didn´t bothered to do any of those.
I used a good assembly lube on bearings and pistons and that was it.
No undesirable effects qere evident or aparent.
HTH

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Angel Acevedo

posted on 28/10/18 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
I don´t remember what I used on the cam though, maybe assembly lube or some cam especific break in lube...

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bikecarbfred

posted on 28/10/18 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
I `put some joe gibbs camshaft grease on and it's all dried out because I stopped my build for 3 months.

shall i stick some more on

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.