Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brake balance problem
CTLeeds

posted on 27/12/18 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
Brake balance problem

Hi guys, I'm trying to work out a solution for my brake balance (front - rear) problem. I took the car to an old airfield to do some testing prior to my IVA test on Jan 24th and I can't get the fronts to lock up before the rears. I adjusted the bias bar in the pedal box all the way to maximize front braking and still the rears would lock first.

I think my issue is with the fact that half way through the build I made the decision to go with BMW rear calipers which have park brake motors in them. These are from a 5 series whereas the fronts are 3 series and I suspect the 5 series units will have a larger piston in them to cope with extra weight of a 5 series car.

I'm guessing a proportioning valve is not permissable for IVA so I'm looking for other options... I think one option would be to replace the rear master cylinder with one with a larger bore and hence less pressure?

All suggestions welcomed as I'm running out of time!

Thanks in advance,

Chris

myke pocock

posted on 27/12/18 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
I fitted a brake bias knob when I built mine and got it SVA'd. All I had to do was lock the knob in place once set. It can always be unlocked after nudge nudge!!!! if required.
Bigboystoys

posted on 27/12/18 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
I had exactly this problem when I fitted a full set of hi spec calipers to my car, in the end I just swapped the front and rear master cylinders around as you say the bigger bore for the rear and this cured my problem. I then just used my brake balance bar to fine tune it.
CTLeeds

posted on 28/12/18 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll give the bigger bore master cylinder a go and see how I get on.

Chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.