Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: cutting down a windscreen for MIVA
Mr Whippy

posted on 18/6/19 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
cutting down a windscreen for MIVA

So still designing this super streamlined reverse trike and been looking at windscreen options as it needs to be fully enclosed. One of the options I'm considering is getting one of these huge picasso windscreens cut down to leave just the thin middle section (since it is just a single seater), I can get the glass easy enough for little cost but my two problems would be -

1) The glass type kitemark required for the MIVA would be missing now since that is on the outside sections, could the windscreen company reapply a new kite mark to the middle section?

2) That black paint/coating used for blacking out the mirror fittings and edgings, can this be removed?

Any ideas? cheers

[Edited on 18/6/19 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 18/6/19 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
1) I doubt it (there's probably pretty strict certification rules), but ask the windscreen company.

2) On car winscreen's I've looked at the black edges are marked on the inside faces. No idea what the marking is and whether suitable stuff can be sourced and applied. As far as I'm aware it's there to cover the bonding between screen and car body - do you intend to bond the screen to your vehicle? Again the windscreen company are probably the best people to ask about fitting and whether the black can be re-applied.

Looking at the size and shape you're after can you not find more suitable tailgate (rear screen) glass and avoid the cutting down?

[Edited on 18/6/19 by nick205]

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/6/19 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
Well this would be for a windscreen so needs to be laminated not toughened like a tailgate. I'm ideally after curved glass rather than flat and it would be bonded onto the grp bodyshell. It doesn't look it in the photo but that glass is very curved and in exactly the way I want.

[Edited on 18/6/19 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 18/6/19 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Noted on the need for laminated.

Many rear screens have a curve though. I suppose my thinking was to avoid cutting, re-kite marking and re-black edging.

Probably less available and therefore more expensive, but have you looked at the Renault Twizzy. A front screen from that may do what you're after.

gremlin1234

posted on 18/6/19 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
its msva, (not miva)
looking through the manual, I don't see that it has to be laminated,
it does have to meet one of many standards for safety glass,
bs 857 covers both laminated and toughened

and checking the current iva for cars, that still allows for a toughened glass windscreen, but it must be E 43 marked I

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/6/19 at 04:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Noted on the need for laminated.

Many rear screens have a curve though. I suppose my thinking was to avoid cutting, re-kite marking and re-black edging.

Probably less available and therefore more expensive, but have you looked at the Renault Twizzy. A front screen from that may do what you're after.

The twizzy is a good idea but unfortunately its windscreen is much too short, thanks anyway

v8kid

posted on 20/6/19 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Just as a matter of interest how the hell are you going to cut toughened glass? I can see cutting laminated but toughened is a new one on me

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/6/19 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Well you can't unless you heat it up first, cool it, cut it and then re-toughen it

All windscreens must be laminated not toughened and laminated can be cut quite easily just like ordinary glass, I've watched screens being made up for me. The side windows will be acrylic.

I've discovered that the black parts are actually baked on enamel much like the coating on a bath but thinner which means it is an utter sod to remove. It could be sanded off and the glass then re-polished but would be quite a bit of work but possible with the correct tools. Only the patches in the middle would be an issue to deal with.

[Edited on 20/6/19 by Mr Whippy]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.