Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZX12r
Broken_Brian

posted on 28/8/19 at 06:21 AM Reply With Quote
ZX12r

Hi guys in need of a wee bit of technical help. My other half & her dad race a ZX12r engined tiger R10, & at the weekend for no reason the car would no longer start. The car was running fine the whole day. Then when they went to start it up all it would do is crank over. Getting no injection pulse (plugs are dry, fuel pump is running & is getting fuel to the rail). There is also no spark. Crank & cam sensors are testing ok.

We have power going to the ecu (12v on pin 39) & have replaced the 100ohm resistor just in case that had failed. The wiring will be checked over to see if there is any damage. Other than that i am all out of ideas.

Worst case has the ecu died? Any other thoughts greatly appreciated.

Brian Wilson

jelly head

posted on 28/8/19 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
Dunno if ZX12s had tip/roll over sensors, but if they did could it still be somewhere in the loom? might it have tripped?

[Edited on 28/8/19 by jelly head]

big_wasa

posted on 28/8/19 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
Check the earth's.
Schrodinger

posted on 28/8/19 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
check the battery is fully charged, my stylus will turn the engine over but not start when the battery is low.

Keith
Aviemore

Broken_Brian

posted on 28/8/19 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
Bike down switch is glued up so it can't move. Earths & wiring to be checked (car is 120 miles away from me so unable to do it myself). Battery is ok & we even had an aux battery on it as well.

Thanks for the input though 👍🏼.

Brian Wilson

Moorron

posted on 28/8/19 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Have you checked the error codes from the ECU?

You can wire up an led (I think 12v so will require a resistor) to the ecu plug and a switch to earth which will repeat the stored error codes.

I think details are in the service manual. You can then see if the crank or cam sensor are working.

No spark, but the starter is turning means the tilt, neutral and starter are fine. so I would inspect these.

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

Broken_Brian

posted on 28/8/19 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Nope not been able to check them yet, due to car not being near me. Oh & the owner is also an engineer so no good with electronics

The car has the clocks so should be able to use the Fi light on the dash (assuming the wires still exist for it). Will pass on all ideas tho.

Brian Wilson

Broken_Brian

posted on 29/8/19 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Just a wee update. The car is now running again. It turned out to be the circuit board on the back of the tilt switch that had went bad, throwing out a voltage that the ecu didn't like. So a few resistors were added in & that has solved the problem.

Brian Wilson

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.