Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Removable steering wheel for IVA? What am I missing?
J666AYP

posted on 9/9/19 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
Removable steering wheel for IVA? What am I missing?

Hi gents,

I have read that you cant IVA a car with a removable steering wheel? Is this correct? If yes how do ariel/caterham and the likes get away with fitting them on road legal cars?

Also say for arguments sake I was to leave the removable boss fitted but disable it by cross pinning would that pass?

Jay

russbost

posted on 10/9/19 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
Where are you getting info that you can't have removable wheel from?

I've certainly SVA'd a car with removable wheel & I'm sure a no. of peeps on here will have done so at IVA unless anything has changed in recent years that I've missed???

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
loggyboy

posted on 10/9/19 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
As above, i dont know of any reason you cant have one. Providing its of sound construction etc..
Are you confusing the part that says a removable wheel is not a suitable immobiliser?

jelly head

posted on 11/9/19 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
As above, mine passed fine with a removable wheel, only thing i did do make a pad to go on the cerntre of the steering wheel just to make sure i wouldn't get pulled for any 'sharp' edges.
theduck

posted on 11/9/19 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Nothing in the manual that says you cant use a removable wheel setup. Only issue you might run into is if you use a cheap/low quality boss that has play in it they could fail the car because of the play.

My car passed iva with a removable wheel, I even showed the inspector how to remove it to make it easier for him to get in and out.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.