Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Checking valve clearances on ST170 engine
Barksavon

posted on 19/9/19 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Checking valve clearances on ST170 engine

Hi, can someone tell me whether the procedure for checking valve clearances on ST170 engine is the same as a standard Zetec engine. We've got a Haynes manual but doesn't cover ST170. Manual states the No1 cylinder exhaust and inlet camshaft lobes should be pointing upwards (but not vertical) with no 1 at TDC on compression stroke (i.e with the camshaft slots lined up) Ours seem to be pointing out to the sides? Also the book gives figures for checking and setting.....what's all that about.
Thanks
Ian

furryeggs

posted on 19/9/19 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
I think once it’s set at TDC with the cam bar across the back (like a Blacktop) you then have to rotate one of the cams a set amount to get the right angle/timing for the vvt. I’m not 100% on figures but I’m sure bigwasa will be along shortly to tell you what to do.
rusty nuts

posted on 19/9/19 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
If you set no one at TDC check the valve clearances then rotate the crank 180 degrees check next cylinder in the firing order and so on. Make a note of the clearances at each point then remove the cams to adjust

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.