Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Washing up
jacko

posted on 31/3/20 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Washing up

Well iv been of work for a week I've cleaned the cars cleaned the garage cleaned the house so it's now down to doing the washing up can you tell I'm board and approximately 11weeks to go
Is this what it's like when you retire
Graham

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 31/3/20 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Can’t say I’ve been bored since retiring nearly 2 years ago , don’t know how I had time for work although the last few weeks since lockdown I’ve been decorating and then watching the paint dry!
nick205

posted on 31/3/20 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think it will be, at the moment we pretty much housebound.

Retired under normal circumstances you'd still be able to go out and do things. Since Christmas I'd got back into swimming, but that's now a no no. I'm thinking of getting my bicycle and turbo trainer out so I can get some fitness miles in indoors (with a film on).

David Jenkins

posted on 31/3/20 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
I've been repairing my PC after a disk drive failed. I had fairly decent backups so loss of data wasn't a problem, but I had a rush of blood to the brain and decided to tidy up the PC's interior and add a couple of HDDs that were sitting idle. Adding drives on Linux is - interesting - a real learning experience!

Also decided to add a few extra fans as the processor used to get a bit warm at times. Then I realised that half of the PC's memory wasn't working and, after a LOT of investigation, I found that the a couple of the processor's pins were bent - entirely my fault some time in the past - and they broke when I attempted to straighten them. So, a new processor was ordered: just fitted it, and all is well again.

Once my fan cables are tidy I can box it all up - but I the fan cable extension leads I ordered from an ebay supplier haven't arrived. I suspect that the supplier has been caught up in the coronavirus shutdown... what a PITA!

Still - I know it's only a first-world problem, so I shan't get too upset about it...

In the meantime, I'm trying to learn to play the piano (although I've lapsed a bit lately) and my son's loaned me his exercise bike, so that gets used daily.

Mr Whippy

posted on 31/3/20 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
when I retire (a wee while yet) I will not be stuck in the house like this. I have endless hobbies I never seem to have enough time now to do, plus I won't have two kids hanging on to me all the time... I'll be so busy I'll hardly sleep!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 31/3/20 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
when I retire (a wee while yet) I will not be stuck in the house like this. I have endless hobbies I never seem to have enough time now to do, plus I won't have two kids hanging on to me all the time... I'll be so busy I'll hardly sleep!

Good point - when I retire my kids (3 of them) may well be off doing their own things and not living with SWMBO and I. Noting my parents situation that then turns into an invasion by grandchildren

JonBowden

posted on 31/3/20 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Jacko, as you say that you've got 11 weeks left, does that mean that you have had the at risk letter and are shielding?

Jon

jacko

posted on 31/3/20 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JonBowden
Jacko, as you say that you've got 11 weeks left, does that mean that you have had the at risk letter and are shielding?

Hi mate no letter it's just what my company has done it closed down most of our work and told us it will be about 12weeks

I have just over 2years to retirement
Jacko

Benzine

posted on 31/3/20 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
Jacko, how much washing-up do you think you could do without any washing-up liquid?
steve m

posted on 1/4/20 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
It is a very weird time we live in, and both of us are Social distancing due health reasons, and havnt been out of the house for 2 weeks (I had to collect shopping from tescos last week, as no drivers, but it was very safe)

So far, and incredibly, we havnt argued at all, do our own stuff,
wife is on facetime to my Daughter and grandkids for most of the day, and I just doo jobs around the house that have always needed to be done, but never had the time

Ive set up the wii, and play bowling for an hour at 1530, with 3 workmates, also, playing in their house, take a pic of each score, then after an hour, pick the best 5 scores, add them up and post on wats app group the score, who ever is the highest then forwards the 5 pics of scores to prove
its been running with 3 of us for 4 days, and the others in our groups are still trying to fin their wii's so they can join!

Next week, we are doing F1 2009, as ive been on it already for a week or so, so letting them hone their skills

Wii used to be able to play on line, but that stopped in 2014 ish its just a bit of fun,

There is so much to do, even gardening, as I hate it, but as theres no time restraint or anything on TV, and no sport, to watch
so I don't even mind a couple of hours in the garden, plus I now have the cleanest car in the street, and might wash it again later !!

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

gingerprince

posted on 1/4/20 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Wii used to be able to play on line, but that stopped in 2014 ish its just a bit of fun,

If you're any way tech savvy have a look at this

https://wiimmfi.de/

It's an unofficial server for playing Wii games online. Haven't done it for a couple of years myself, but was playing Mario Kart Wii very successfully.

Mr Whippy

posted on 1/4/20 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Sadly or not I'm still very much working... However I currently seem to be spending more and more time doing "work" than I was in the office, my co-workers have also commented on this, our hours per day seem to be creeping up. With vastly more online meetings, endless IT issues (I've restarted my PC 3 times today ), seem to have hardly any time to do my normal work and have to wear headphones all the time to drown out the kids on their roller skates clomping about and shouting or their mum shouting at them. Just stuffing a fish finger sandwich into my face for lunch before yet another conference call

Potentially months of this to go... I may go mad

[Edited on 1/4/20 by Mr Whippy]

nick205

posted on 1/4/20 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Sadly or not I'm still very much working... However I currently seem to be spending more and more time doing "work" than I was in the office, my co-workers have also commented on this, our hours per day seem to be creeping up. With vastly more online meetings, endless IT issues (I've restarted my PC 3 times today ), seem to have hardly any time to do my normal work and have to wear headphones all the time to drown out the kids on their roller skates clomping about and shouting or their mum shouting at them. Just stuffing a fish finger sandwich into my face for lunch before yet another conference call

Potentially months of this to go... I may go mad

[Edited on 1/4/20 by Mr Whippy]

Online meetings have their useful part, but often plagued by too many people (as are face to face meetings), with little productive output.

I find myself keeping the headphones on as it seems to encourage the kids to be quieter if they think I'm listening to someone.

steve m

posted on 1/4/20 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
There is an upside of all this current situation, it proves that people CAN work from home, and efficiently
Something that I tried Virgin Atlantic to do many many times, in the Crew logistics team
And no one ever listened, but now all the critical area's of operations, are manned from home workers on PC's
well they were, until all the aircraft were grounded !!

Another one, is Doctors, and i know we have a couple on here, and honestly i am not having a go !!

Grandson no 3 has tonsillitis since Monday, and has had it numerous times before, and Daughter phoned the Doctors, and we all know how painful just trying to speak to someone is!! and get an appointment at mine is pretty well impossible

Triage took the call, Dr called back 5 mins later, asked for all the symptoms, and a lot of other health related, that could of indicated anything else, He agreed, that the lad has tonsillitis, prescribed medicine, and as the whole family are social distancing
arranged for home delivery of the medicine, it arrived 90 mins later from the Doctors call, in all less than two hours call to delivery

Hats off, and a big clap to all that were involved, as this is the way things should be done, and proves that is works,
There an awful lot of health problems, that we do not need to go and wait in a room, with other sick people and catch there ailmemts,

Now the follow on from this, working from home, means less commuters, quieter roads, so less pollution,

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Mr Whippy

posted on 1/4/20 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
I did suggest at work all those who are working at home could take a pay cut comparable with our daily commute costs. Tbh if I didn't need to travel to work I wouldn't even have bought the Up. So even for me with fuelling a tiny car on a cheap loan, that's a total of over £250 a month I would not need to cover.
jacko

posted on 1/4/20 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
Jacko, how much washing-up do you think you could do without any washing-up liquid?

That will never happen in our house the wife will make sure of that 😂

James

posted on 2/4/20 at 12:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I did suggest at work all those who are working at home could take a pay cut comparable with our daily commute costs. Tbh if I didn't need to travel to work I wouldn't even have bought the Up. So even for me with fuelling a tiny car on a cheap loan, that's a total of over £250 a month I would not need to cover.

Bet you were popular for that one!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Mr Whippy

posted on 2/4/20 at 06:43 AM Reply With Quote
Probably more popular than them furloughing over 100 yesterday... Next will be the pay cuts only a year after recovering from 6 years of 20% pay cuts.
SJ

posted on 2/4/20 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Grandson no 3 has tonsillitis since Monday, and has had it numerous times before, and Daughter phoned the Doctors, and we all know how painful just trying to speak to someone is!! and get an appointment at mine is pretty well impossible

The impact on normal health care seems to be massive - my littlest had block braces fitted just before all this happened and they are now causing her some pain, but looks like other than calling 111 or going to A&E (not that we are at that stage yet) there is no possibility of getting anyone to check them, or event anyone to talk to.

Mr Whippy

posted on 2/4/20 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
quote:

The impact on normal health care seems to be massive - my littlest had block braces fitted just before all this happened and they are now causing her some pain, but looks like other than calling 111 or going to A&E (not that we are at that stage yet) there is no possibility of getting anyone to check them, or event anyone to talk to.

I'd be calling tbh, the dentists are super quiet at the moment as they are barred from using any form of air tool, just turn up at their door

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.