Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any redundancy / employment law experts on here?
John P

posted on 17/4/20 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Any redundancy / employment law experts on here?

Hi,

My daughter has just been told her job is at risk of being made redundant which is a major blow on top of the corona virus.

I have a few queries about how her company are selecting those for redundancy and wondered if anyone had some detailed knowledge of this.

If you can help I'd prefer to message you direct rather than post the details on the open forum.

John.

steve m

posted on 17/4/20 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
I have found the best place to look at is the gov.uk site, and I am very sure there is an article on there regarding
redundancies in this current circumstance

also, just my opinion, is that any company who does do this, are shooting them selves in the foot, as the Government will be paying 80% wages for up to 3 months, and none of us know what will happen after this period,

I am a zero hours worker, and we are ALL furloughed to 31 May currently

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

John P

posted on 17/4/20 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Part of the problem is that they won't furlough staff as they believe the redundancy isn't a direct result of Corona virus but a shortage of work which pre-dates the pandemic.

They're concerned the government could later check this and hold them responsible for a false claim.

steve m

posted on 17/4/20 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
That makes complete sense, and unfortunately, I can see why they are doing it

Hope your Daughter gets whats entitled to her, and I know it wont help her, but there will be millions of people in the same
situation, especially after the furlough stops

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

loggyboy

posted on 17/4/20 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
From what i remember when I went through the process some years back is the first stage is not making indviduals redundant, it has to be a role. They will usually look for volunteers (ie older staff or those who could get a nice pay out based on length of service) then they will look to loose those who are less.important, admin staff, juniors etc. After that it gets down to the nitty gritty where you have staff in the same role of similar skill set. Then its largely down to performance and likeability.

Mistral Motorsport

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/4/20 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah this is why Aberdeen is being hit, part to do with the virus but a bigger part to do with the fall in oil price and work being postponed till next year. Even if we all went back to work tomorrow the unemployment in this area will be staggering. Sorry to hear she's under threat but I've heard of loads this week that have been handed their notice.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
John P

posted on 17/4/20 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Actually one thing I didn't understand was that others in the company are US nationals working on a visa contracts. I had assumed work visas had a fixed term so would have expected these workers to be made redundant first if they're doing the same work as others on normal contracts.
spaximus

posted on 18/4/20 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
The first thing is they must identify what the job role is that is being made redundant. They should have a written process in the staff HR process.

Once a role is identified they will then create a matrix to use. This could have timekeeping, absence, length of service , knowledge of role for example.

Once that is clear they will have to follow a clear and concise process. For example if your daughter is the only female and she get the chop, was it due to here gender or was the process fair.

A good source of information is ACAS who will informally advise people.

Make sure she makes clear notes about every conversation that takes place and request a witness if she fears she may be singled out.

Not nice but there will be jobs after this has gone and if the company was not doing well before Covid, it probably will not survive afterwards so better take cash whilst they have some perhaps?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.