Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Titan SDS drill
JeffHs

posted on 4/5/20 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
Titan SDS drill

Another lock down project.

Does anyone know how to dismantle the gearbox on the old Screwfix Titan SDS? It's one of the original big heavy ugly things, about 15 years old. I've removed all screws and got as far as I can get but the two ends of the gearbox are still connected by the internals and the motor armature is stuck fast in the gearbox. It's all in working order but has started to spray grease out. I guess it's a seal on the shaft of the armature but I'm stuck. I've tried gentle persuasion which has moved the 3 casings apart slightly but no joy. I'm obviously missing something.

JeffHs

posted on 4/5/20 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
[img] SDS
SDS
[/img]

Here's a picture of where I'm stuck at. I want to get the armature out of the gearbox

Bigheppy

posted on 4/5/20 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
There is someone on the mig welding forum doing something similar might be worth looking at this thread

https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/powerplus-rotary-hammer-drill-teardown-and-rebuild.100858/

JeffHs

posted on 5/5/20 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that.
I persevered today and applied a bit more violence. It was the interference fits of the bearing races and shafts in the casings that was stopping it parting.
There is no seal where I expected one so I still don't know why it pees grease out.
The problem started when I lent it to someone who overheated it. Never a lender or borrower be! Although I think we should share experiences and tools.

Still it's clean now, back together and still works. I had a bad moment though when I took apart something I should have left alone and spring loaded balls shot out. Not had that for 50 years since I took my Mini's gearbox to bits.

David Jenkins

posted on 5/5/20 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JeffHs
Never a lender or borrower be! Although I think we should share experiences and tools.

I bought a cheap set of pliers and cutters from Lidl about 8 years ago, purely for lending out when people ask... they get used regularly by me, as they're actually quite good!

rusty nuts

posted on 5/5/20 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Who borrowed my Snap On and Mac oil pressure kits? Wish I could remember, wasn’t anyone or here I do know

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.