Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Peelable paint
harmchar

posted on 13/6/20 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Peelable paint

Anyone done their car with vinyl paint like Plasti Dip or Full Dip? I've watched loads of YT vids and quite fancy the option of changing colour/effect every now and then.
Anyone with any experience or pros n cons? If I was going to do it I would purchase the Earlex MS3000 and gallon pots and not just rattle cans.
Cheers

Mr Whippy

posted on 13/6/20 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
I seen quite a few wheels that looked a right mess, doesn't seem very robust. Haven't used it myself and repaint almost all my tin tops with rattle cans of camo and graffiti wall paints, whole car can be done for £60 - £80, when your bored with it you can just give it a light rub down and paint over the top of it with something else.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 14/6/20 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
I used plastidip on the front of my tintop, it took maybe 20 miles before I started seeing the original paint through it.

And while I appreciate it could be user error on application or removal, but the damn stuff didn't come off anywhere near as easy as it was supposed to do.

I'm guessing there's a few too many curves to go for a vinyl wrap?

perksy

posted on 14/6/20 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Went to a show last year and a company had sprayed a TVR in it as a promotion
It looked great indoors under the lights but a couple of things would concern me, It looked like it would chip or peel very easy and I'd be concerned about getting it to stick the the existing paintwork in the first place

harmchar

posted on 14/6/20 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Not keen on wrapping. Wanted to do diy and I've tried wrapping small parts and hated the experience. Definitely not as easy as videos make out. I thought the flexible nature of the vinyl paint would suit fibreglass bodywork and less likely to get star cracks at stress points. Also thought it would hold up better to stone chips being rubbery texture.
Due to the collective being less favourable, I might hold off just now. Or might buy a few rattle cans and try a trial on a smaller area.
Cheers for replies.
Charlie.

Slimy38

posted on 14/6/20 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by harmchar
Not keen on wrapping. Wanted to do diy and I've tried wrapping small parts and hated the experience. Definitely not as easy as videos make out. I thought the flexible nature of the vinyl paint would suit fibreglass bodywork and less likely to get star cracks at stress points. Also thought it would hold up better to stone chips being rubbery texture.
Due to the collective being less favourable, I might hold off just now. Or might buy a few rattle cans and try a trial on a smaller area.
Cheers for replies.
Charlie.

I think you would have to get it quite thick for it to resist chips like you would expect. I think I did about eight light coats for mine, and it still was only about as thick as normal paint.

Give it a go though, I think I got a can for £8 matt black.

Edit: As for the wrapping, big panels are much easier than small ones. I've done door B panels which were quite fiddly, but then I did an entire motorbike which wasn't too bad. Well, apart from the fuel tank but that's like gift wrapping a football!!

[Edited on 14/6/20 by Slimy38]

harmchar

posted on 14/6/20 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
I forgot to mention I have exposed rivets on aluminium tub panels, another reason for not going with wrap.
I sprayed entire Mini few years back with okay result, but the mess left behind in garage is horrendous. Still finding red overspray falling from rafter now and again. Got a few weekends of prep work to do before I make up my mind which way to go.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.