Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New kitchen - not as it should be
tegwin

posted on 11/1/21 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
New kitchen - not as it should be

Interested to hear what people think on this.... Its fairly petty but if you pay good money you expect good quality...

Just received a new kitchen to fit myself.

Doors are painted solid wood.

20% of the doors look great. The grain on the stile (vertical bit) and rails (horizontal bit) match and look fab.

The other 80% of the doors the grain doesn't match and in some places its almost like there is no grain at all..

Perhaps I am a bit anal but if I build a wooden door I would expect the grain to match on both stiles.... Is that unreasonable?

4 of the doors have cracks or major scratches in them...but that's another story entirely...

I cant figure out how to add photos no photobucket isnt a thing..

But here is a good door (matching stiles, even grain): https://www.dropbox.com/s/1o45x20wcfh4gj9/Photo%2011-01-2021%2C%2010%2032%2006%20pm.jpg?dl=0 />
And here is a bad one (badly matched grain):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5bmqrm57ebuszwh/Photo%2011-01-2021%2C%209%2056%2023%20pm.jpg?dl=0
closeup: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fpvled4cfmsyyox/Photo%2011-01-2021%2C%209%2056%2058%20pm.jpg?dl=0

Thoughts?

[Edited on 11/1/21 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

SteveWalker

posted on 12/1/21 at 12:38 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't be happy with those.
Mr Whippy

posted on 12/1/21 at 01:55 AM Reply With Quote
Funny you've made me look up at mine and the grain is all over the place and none seem to match. I don't think I've ever given it a second thought as its just a natural product and that's what natural things do. I have solid wood furniture too and boy that's really made from all sorts of different looking bits (reclaimed wood apparently) but lovely still and well made.

But if you're not happy then that's what matters. Could turn into a huge task to get some that do match though.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 12/1/21 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
You need to contact the supplier, obviously a poor batch.
joneh

posted on 12/1/21 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
Personally, it's a natural product and they'll be massive variances in the look and feel of the grain. It's not a batch issue, as they look like a natural handmade product. It's just the nature of the beast.

However, if you're not happy and it bugs you, I expect the manufacturer will have a selection of doors that you can look through and choose from. Give them a call.

roadrunner

posted on 12/1/21 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
The doors look like they are made from Ash. It's a fantastic wood to work with and it's my personal favourite due to the type of graining. It does vary massively.
The only concern I would have is the door where the grain is missing. That doesn't make sense.
I made a solid English Ash table for myself before Xmas. I'll try and post a picture.
Table
Table

[Edited on 12/1/21 by roadrunner]

westf27

posted on 12/1/21 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
I’ve spent many hours looking at French and German door manufacturing and this discussion pops up all the time.In the case of solid or veneered wood the doors are made to be cleared or stained/cleared or colour lacquered,they will all take on those finishes in different ways and look slightly different and there lies the rub.You could say well it’s a natural product ie the wood and the randomness is well natural and exceptable but it isn’t always to the customer..after all Rolls Royce continue to book match veneers to provide an exceptable picture at a price of course.Then there is the argument that if uniformity is key buy a foil wrapped door which tends to be more uniform overall.My kitchen here is exactly what you have in style and colour but foil wrapped,they also did it as a solid wood for an additional premium.
As a suggestion you could try moving same sized elements around as lighting across the fronts will make a difference.
I remember once having to respray a whole kitchen as the customer said the grain was too obvious and needed more paint...
It’s personal at the end of the day.Hope you find a solution.

roadrunner

posted on 12/1/21 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
I've had to remake pine furniture because there where to many knots in his knotty pine timber.
Then had to make furniture for another customer who wanted lots of knots.

tegwin

posted on 12/1/21 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
I've had to remake pine furniture because there where to many knots in his knotty pine timber.

Haha, it is very subjective.

If I had made the doors myself I would have selected matching pieces of wood but I guess being lazy I don't get much choice. Its a shame as the doors that are "right" are really very good indeed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

roadrunner

posted on 12/1/21 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Where these doors bespoke or mass manufactured.
If bespoke, then the grain can be selected but that also depends on the chippy and what he likes to see.
If mass manufactured, then all the timber is thrown into a machine and your doors come out the other end.

Bluemoon

posted on 12/1/21 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
"natural product" we have similar painted real wood doors, every door is different, however, most do have grain even if it's not so obvious. Of you don't like it do complain..
joneh

posted on 12/1/21 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
I meant to add, I don't think its unreasonable to phone up and ask for some of the doors to be swapped over.
nick205

posted on 13/1/21 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner

Haha, it is very subjective.

If I had made the doors myself I would have selected matching pieces of wood but I guess being lazy I don't get much choice. Its a shame as the doors that are "right" are really very good indeed.

First up I'd say if you're not completely satisfied with them then contact the vendor before the doors are fitted. Ther vendor should be able to do something about it for you.

[RANT]
I'm by no means a carpenter, but do pay closer attention to the wood I buy than many. I like to check for warps, bows, twists etc. Buying decent quality wood is generally more expensive and fewer and fewer places sell it. Most places source poorly grown, cut, transported and packed wood these days. Homebase wood for example I just can't stomach paying for, what is meant to be staright is curved like a bow. People will say carpenters can work with that, but it makes the job so much longer and more hard work.
[/RANT]

joneh

posted on 13/1/21 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

[RANT]
I'm by no means a carpenter, but do pay closer attention to the wood I buy than many. I like to check for warps, bows, twists etc. Buying decent quality wood is generally more expensive and fewer and fewer places sell it. Most places source poorly grown, cut, transported and packed wood these days. Homebase wood for example I just can't stomach paying for, what is meant to be staright is curved like a bow. People will say carpenters can work with that, but it makes the job so much longer and more hard work.
[/RANT]

With you on that. I check each piece after buying floor joists from a well known timber merchant. They were wavy and you could see it in the ceiling once the plaster board was stuck up.

nick205

posted on 13/1/21 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joneh
quote:

[RANT]
[/RANT]

With you on that. I check each piece after buying floor joists from a well known timber merchant. They were wavy and you could see it in the ceiling once the plaster board was stuck up.

I suspect there's an element of not drying the wood properly. Homebase (and others) often sell wood with bubbles and runs of sap.

joneh
I don't mean you not drying the wood properly BTW, I mean the vendor or possibly even the process before the wood gets to the vendor.

[Edited on 13/1/21 by nick205]

joneh

posted on 13/1/21 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
Originally posted by joneh
quote:

[RANT]
[/RANT]

I suspect there's an element of not drying the wood properly. Homebase (and others) often sell wood with bubbles and runs of sap.

joneh
I don't mean you not drying the wood properly BTW, I mean the vendor or possibly even the process before the wood gets to the vendor.

Ha! Yup, I get you.

James

posted on 13/1/21 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

joneh

The stuff at my local Wickes is often soaking inside once you split the packs. Whether this is tree juice, chemical from pressure treatment or it's been left soaking in the rain I don't know but it's bloody unhelpful!

Because of the opening hours compared to a proper timber merchant I go there a lot and the timber often looks like it's made of bananas! I've spent ages in there in the past going through every flipping 4x2" trying to find a straight one!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

chillis

posted on 13/1/21 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
I guess the question is how much did you pay for them and was this from a well known company. B&Q, Wickes, Wren etc I would be straight on the phone for an explaination, however if its some like cheap kitchens are us DIY kitchens or some such from ebay then I would accept you get what you pay for.

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

nick205

posted on 14/1/21 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:

joneh

The stuff at my local Wickes is often soaking inside once you split the packs. Whether this is tree juice, chemical from pressure treatment or it's been left soaking in the rain I don't know but it's bloody unhelpful!

Because of the opening hours compared to a proper timber merchant I go there a lot and the timber often looks like it's made of bananas! I've spent ages in there in the past going through every flipping 4x2" trying to find a straight one!

James

Spot on! Often their packs of timber are wrapped in palstic as well, which pevents the timber from breathing (drying out). I know eactly your pain of going through racks of timber to find the straightest bits they have.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.