Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Best place to list a car for sale in 2021
AntonUK

posted on 17/1/21 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
Best place to list a car for sale in 2021

I been playing with trying to sell my Ginetta G27 for a few months now, but tbh haven't really put much effort into it.

I keep seeing car's i'd like to replace it with. but cant move on them as the funds are tied up in the Ginetta. Where is the best place to post such a car in 2021, ebay used to be the goto, is this still the case?

Build Photos Here

02GF74

posted on 17/1/21 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Ebay by far gets the most interest (worked for me) that's if you can put up with idiots who are offering 1/2 asking price without seeing the car. Also piston
heads threw up a few nibbles.

From my experience, unless the person asks "when can I view", don't bother responding to questions.

loggyboy

posted on 17/1/21 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Facebook marketplace and targeted groups, then gumtree, then ebay.

[Edited on 17-1-21 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

Slimy38

posted on 17/1/21 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
I sell mine on ebay, but NOT as a normal sale or auction. Sell it as a classified ad. It's a fixed price and the advert is active for 28 days. I find it very useful because as time goes on, you might want to change some details or lower the price. you can do that for free on the classified ad. It also works out cheaper overall, even compared to Autotrader and similar.

I can't stand Facebook marketplace, it's filled with people who have no idea what they're buying. Add to that the Facebook tools themselves that are just rubbish, for example I live in Featherstone Wolverhampton but it thinks I live in Featherstone Pontefract. They're 100 miles apart!!

Gumtree is ok, I've used them a few times but never actually got anything sold through there.

Isn't there a Ginetta forum or similar? Even when I was looking for my Skoda Superb, the first place I went was Briskoda.net .

steve m

posted on 17/1/21 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Ive sold via ebay, a few cars, all on a normal sell, not classified, but i cant comment if Classified is any better

It doesnt matter what site you sell on, as the tyre kickers are out in the real world no matter what,

What about the Ginetta forum, as its quite a niche car,

And Lastly, now as its winter, is not a good time to sell, especially a Sports car, coupled with that the whole country is in lockdown, so again your possible buyers are staying at home in the warm and staying safe

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

big_wasa

posted on 17/1/21 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
I also would hold on a touch longer. Your limiting your audience with winter and lock down.
DavSki153

posted on 18/1/21 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
I recently sold a restored MGB on Facebook Marketplace and was amazed with how many people requested a viewing. Didn't have any ridiculous offers and everyone was reasonable in the messages. I was impressed with the reach the free ad offered.
AntonUK

posted on 18/1/21 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all,

I have had it up on Facebook (and relevant groups) for a while and have had some nibbles but nothing getting as far as viewings or offers. Plenty of idiots and those who dont really know what it is though.

Ebay seems the best option atm but with lockdown I feel I should probably wait another couple of months?

[Edited on 18/1/21 by AntonUK]

Build Photos Here

alfas

posted on 31/1/21 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
its quite easy to sell a car...it all depends on the price....

this said: as those niche-cars are really "special" prices do not vary so much pending on season, hence a potential buyer will also pop-up in winter.

and no: dont only answer enquiries which want to view the car. with internet-communication (detailed pics & description) you can also buy a car from distance. e.g. i never have viewed a car in the last 10y...and i was never disapointed from my purchases....but i might have been a real pain for the seller, because of all my requests for pics and all my questions.

also take into consideration: not all potential buyers for such a cars are from UK. depending on the reg-date there might be also potenital interest from Eu countries. If your reg. date is after 1991 than not.

advertize it here:

ebay classifieds, pistonheads, classiccars for sale, carandclassic, copy and paste the advert text, use the same pics everywhere.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.