Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Where's a good place to sell damaged repairables?
smart51

posted on 7/6/21 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Where's a good place to sell damaged repairables?

Following on from this thread http://locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/52/viewthread.php?tid=218529 I'm looking to sell a damaged repairable Peugeot 208. Where's the place where people who want this sort of thing look for them?

The car is a 2015 Peugeot 208 1.2 petrol. Metal shavings found in the sump so new / recon / used engine swap needed.

The garage said £2600 for a recon engine or I can supply my own second hand lump, plus £940 fitting. I'm happy to let a DIY mechanic fix it up themselves and get a cheap motor rather than me pay to fix it and then sell it.

Where's the place to go?

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/6/21 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Well unless you can get an engine for peanuts it doesn't look like you'd break even with the repairs far less any make any money, given the garages first quote of £3540. Selling it as a non runner seems your only option. Any second hand lump is also most likely to be suffering too given it's a design fault.

Personally I'd just chuck it on Gumtree first since that's free. Just don't expect to much for a 6 year old car with a buggered engine...

Saying that it is a teeny tiny little 3 cylinder so would not be all that difficult to pull out and swap yourself? I see engines for about £500-600 on ebay but I'd be a bit worried about getting exactly the same year and type as you can bet they changed them over the years.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 7/6/21 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Not clear from your original post is this a damaged repairable, as in Cat N or S or is it just that the engine is knackered, & that said, is the engine noisy, seized or just that you've done an oil change & found swarf in the oil.

If it's the latter, then I'd go to webuyanycar.com - they only sell them at auction anyway & you know you're taking low money for it & giving it to the trade, so no need to feel guilty.

If the engine is already u/s, then I'd stick it on Ebay for spares & repairs in an auction, be honest in the ad & it'll probably make a lot more money than you might think, there are guys who work in breakers's yards quite happy to put in a w/e's work to do an engine swap with an engine they can pick up virtually for free

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
nick205

posted on 7/6/21 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Agree with Mr Whippy here - flog it as a non runner and leave it to someone else to resurrect if they want.

I replaced the engine in a Peugeot 106 1.5D soem years ago with a 2nd hand engine. The car ran afterwards well enough for me to flog it, but overall I lost about £500 and 3 weekends of grubby unwanted effort. The 1st engine failed because the Woodroof key between camshaft and cam wheel broke. 2nd engine would have most likely gone the same way hence getting rid pretty quick.

smart51

posted on 7/6/21 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Sadly, I don't have a place to do an engine swap any more. The options are to pay the £1700 for the garage to fit a used engine, then hope to sell it for £3k. Or sell it to someone as a fixer upper. Both options leave me with more residual cash than sending it to the scrapper. But I'm happier with someone fixing it for themselves, than me fitting an unknown lump and selling it on. I know, I'm too much of a nice guy, but I'm happier that way.
smart51

posted on 7/6/21 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Not clear from your original post is this a damaged repairable, as in Cat N or S or is it just that the engine is knackered, & that said, is the engine noisy, seized or just that you've done an oil change & found swarf in the oil.

If it's the latter, then I'd go to webuyanycar.com - they only sell them at auction anyway & you know you're taking low money for it & giving it to the trade, so no need to feel guilty.

If the engine is already u/s, then I'd stick it on Ebay for spares & repairs in an auction, be honest in the ad & it'll probably make a lot more money than you might think, there are guys who work in breakers's yards quite happy to put in a w/e's work to do an engine swap with an engine they can pick up virtually for free

Not a write off, so no category. Just that the oil pressure warning message came on on Friday and despite stopping straight away, it is FUBARed.

I hadn't thought of WBAC. AS a non-runner, their headline price before inspection is £665. But then it is a quick and easy way to bin it.

[Edited on 7-6-2021 by smart51]

James

posted on 7/6/21 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Martin Keenan is just re-building something similar as a track toy!

Strip it out, RWD and put a v10 in it!

Go on- you know you want to!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

roadrunner

posted on 7/6/21 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Can you not have an accident and claim off insurance.
smart51

posted on 7/6/21 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Gumtree's good isn't it? I should have asked for more! Some dodgy dealer will collect it in the morning. Now to get the missus something else PDQ.

You've got to like the guy who sent an offer of £200 10 minutes after I'd marked it as sold. And the arsey guy who kept whatsapping me wanting me to cancel the sale I'd just agreed for his offer of £100 more.

nick205

posted on 7/6/21 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
Gumtree's good isn't it? I should have asked for more! Some dodgy dealer will collect it in the morning. Now to get the missus something else PDQ.

You've got to like the guy who sent an offer of £200 10 minutes after I'd marked it as sold. And the arsey guy who kept whatsapping me wanting me to cancel the sale I'd just agreed for his offer of £100 more.

Selling cars anywhere always attracts some tyre kickers and wannabes. I've generally used Autotrader to sell my cars, but even then you still get some hopefuls. Once it's gone it's gone.

SWMBO have her mind set on anything in particular or just an A to B'er?

smart51

posted on 7/6/21 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205SWMBO have her mind set on anything in particular or just an A to B'er?

Set her mind? She has no idea what she wants. She doesn't want anything bigger than a 208. She's enjoying stealing my Zoe off me because it doesn't have a clutch (though she dislikes autos!). Her favourite car ever was her Saxo. Beyond that she has no idea. Something very mumsy I'd guess.

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 7/6/21 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Put it on eBay or Facebook market place as car needs engine repair or replacement
cliftyhanger

posted on 8/6/21 at 06:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by nick205SWMBO have her mind set on anything in particular or just an A to B'er?

Set her mind? She has no idea what she wants. She doesn't want anything bigger than a 208. She's enjoying stealing my Zoe off me because it doesn't have a clutch (though she dislikes autos!). Her favourite car ever was her Saxo. Beyond that she has no idea. Something very mumsy I'd guess.

Yaris or jazz. Don't seem to go wrong....
If a 2 dr is OK then CI/107/Aygo, small, cheap to buy/run, seemingly indestructible.

nick205

posted on 8/6/21 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
quote:
quote:

Yaris or jazz. Don't seem to go wrong....
If a 2 dr is OK then CI/107/Aygo, small, cheap to buy/run, seemingly indestructible.

With 3 kids I have to warn on the 107/Aygo (same car underneath) they only have 2 seatbelts on the rear seat. Discovered this on holiday in a hire car!

russbost

posted on 8/6/21 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
For replacement Hyundai i10 or i20 - we have 3 Hyundai's in the family, 2 x i10's & an older Getz, costing next to nothing to run - buy the right years & you'll get £20 a year road tax too!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
smart51

posted on 8/6/21 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205With 3 kids I have to warn on the 107/Aygo (same car underneath) they only have 2 seatbelts on the rear seat. Discovered this on holiday in a hire car!

I used to have a 108. With the 1.2 engine. I didn't blow mine up though

coyoteboy

posted on 8/6/21 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
If it's a design fault, I'd be getting a dealer to admit that and seeing if Pug will do a cut price new engine.

smart51

posted on 8/6/21 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a new advert for WeBuyAnyCar dot com:

Why should you sell your car to us? Dickheads!
Dickheads everywhere. Seriously, you have no idea how much stupid there is out there.
People who offer you a lower price than you sold it for, even after you've told them its sold.
People who make make you a lower offer than the one they made yesterday, even though you told them you sold it for more than that.
People who keep saying "give me your payment details" no matter how many times you've told them its sold
People who come to collect the car and complain that it is broken, when you sold it as a broken car.
With WBAC, you only have to deal with one dickhead, and our dickheads are the best ones.

James

posted on 8/6/21 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Dickheads everywhere. Seriously, you have no idea how much stupid there is out there.
People who offer you a lower price than you sold it for, even after you've told them its sold.
People who make make you a lower offer than the one they made yesterday, even though you told them you sold it for more than that.
People who keep saying "give me your payment details" no matter how many times you've told them its sold
People who come to collect the car and complain that it is broken, when you sold it as a broken car.
With WBAC, you only have to deal with one dickhead, and our dickheads are the best ones.

Take it it didn't go well then!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

smart51

posted on 8/6/21 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:

Take it it didn't go well then!

The money is in the bank and the car is on a trailer on the motorway somewhere. Success is the bottom line and we got there. But oh was it a faff. I had to charge my phone twice yesterday. It never stopped ringing or beeping.

Part of that was my search for a new car. Main dealers advertising brand new cars for the price of 2 year old ones then telling me they haven't got any. Then offering me an ex demo slightly cheaper and taking my deposit only to phone to say they haven't got that either. Not just one main dealer but 2. I'm on my 3rd now. They promised me a new car at a discount price and a phone call this morning to advise on delivery. That's the only phone call I've not had.

Oh, and Renault Derby saying they can't refund my deposit over the phone, they want me to send my card number, expiry date and CCV number to them in an email. I properly lost it at him. Not the right day to be another dickhead with me really.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 8/6/21 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
RemoveMyCar worked well for me, no dickheads, no timewasters, no criminals and/or scammers and/or scum. My 1996 Transhit went down the road on a trailer 2 weeks ago.
I've never been worried about 'resale', it's never happened, but these folk make the whole concept of the buy-to-die vehicle a pleasure.

David Jenkins

posted on 8/6/21 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem
RemoveMyCar worked well for me, no dickheads, no timewasters, no criminals and/or scammers and/or scum. My 1996 Transhit went down the road on a trailer 2 weeks ago.
I've never been worried about 'resale', it's never happened, but these folk make the whole concept of the buy-to-die vehicle a pleasure.

I've not heard of them - they would have been useful for my friend who had problems getting rid of a knackered car.

I'll book-mark their page!

[Edited on 8/6/21 by David Jenkins]

coyoteboy

posted on 8/6/21 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
I think he's not looking to scrap it, just to get a decent price for a car that needs a new engine. Somewhere like copart.co.uk

smart51

posted on 8/6/21 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Knobhead update No 2. The buyer was told that the garage had removed the sump and found metal fragments in the oil and that a new engine would be needed. I told him I'd get the sump refitted and the car pushed out on to the road so he could load it on his trailer. He phoned me when he got to the car having driven 40 miles to get it, complaining that the sump had not been resealed when refitted and that the car could not be driven, he wanted £100 knocked off the price as that's what the garage wanted to refit and seal the sump and fill with oil. I told him in a way I wouldn't want my mum to hear, words that could be surmised as "no". He paid in full and took the car away.

Her car is gone, the knobheads are gone and my car is gone 'cos the missus has got it. But it is sunny, deep breaths have been taken and all is well with the world. I do like the idea of BinMyCar.com or whatever their called.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 9/6/21 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
All my previous road cars over the years have gone with the removal websites. Two Transhits, an Ovlov estate, a Mundaneo and a Curse(a). The Corsa went on a Combe trackday first (it was the wife's hatchback that was hit at the lights by a phone zombie) to destroy it totally. Anyway, they come, remove the car, give you a destruction certificate and a direct credit. No idiots, criminals, etc.

Current road car is a 'Zafira', quite a new one (2001), 1.6 petrol. Expensive at £450, but it should survive the 12 months MoT it came with. Like the Corsa, it appears to have been well protected bodywise (no rust), but everything that's bolted to the car is cutting torch/grinder removal, heavily corroded.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.