Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is Denso alternator switched live v Sierra switched earth?
John.Taylor

posted on 20/5/08 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Is Denso alternator switched live v Sierra switched earth?

I've got a Denso alternator, the one with a starter/battery terminal and two spade terminals (L & IG) as below:

I think my Sierra alternator switched the earth as the charging bulb on the instrument pod connected to the ignition feed (+12v) on one side and the old alternator via a blue wire (switched earth?) on the other.

When I connect the IG spade on the Denso alternator to an ignition (+12v) feed I don't get anything out of the L spade until I turn the ignition feed on at which point I then get the +12v out of the L spade.

I assume that I have to modify the sierra instrument PCB to take account of this by cutting the +12v ignition feed to the charging bulb out and putting an earth in its place?

If so, do I need a fuse in there somewhere?

[Edited on 20/5/08 by John.Taylor] Rescued attachment Denso Wiring.gif
Rescued attachment Denso Wiring.gif

MkIndy7

posted on 20/5/08 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Or use a small relay to convert the new incoming +ve feed to a -ve one if you don't want to keep the Instrument PCB standard.

Use the incoming +ve to switch the coil of a relay and the main conacts of the relay for the -ve you require if you get what I mean.

John.Taylor

posted on 20/5/08 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Good idea on using the alternator live to switch an earth and I have a load of spare relays from the Sierra!!

RazMan

posted on 20/5/08 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure if I understand your question but the charge light needs 2 live feeds (one each side) The bulb glows when the alternator switches to earth (ie not charging)

.... or have I misunderstood?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
whitestu

posted on 21/5/08 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
On my Denso alternator the ignition light wire is positive when the alternator is stationary and there is a supply to the other terminal [ignition on].

When the alternator is turning there is no supply to the ignition light and so it goes off.

However it is just a signal rather than a supply, so it won't power a normal bulb. It will light an LED or switch a low power relay though.

I've tried mine with a low power led and it works fine - I haven't reied it with the leds in my Acewell yet.

Stu

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.