Board logo

Handbrake fitting
Rossmcleod2012 - 5/4/16 at 04:48 PM

Hey guys

Wonder if I could get some help please

I'm trying to fit the handbrake I understand the lines bit attaching to the calipers

It's the bit where it attaches to the handbrake itself

Could someone point me in the right direction please Thanks

big-vee-twin - 5/4/16 at 05:01 PM

You need to shorten the length by cutting the end off and then re soldering a new end on.

I took an idea from Wilwood, cut the wire into two and fitted a clevis on each end and made each side independently adjustable for balance.

I also used one on the centre to make the whole system adjustable once balanced.

This set up has passed the IVA recently.

[img] Handbrake finished
Handbrake finished
[/img]

[Edited on 5/4/16 by big-vee-twin]

Slimy38 - 5/4/16 at 05:59 PM

I think you're missing the third cable, the one that goes from the moon shape to the handbrake caliper? It's only a few inches long, if memory serves it should also have a method of adjustment in it.

Or as mentioned, cut the wire in two then reform the brake balance bar with something 'creative'.

scott h - 5/4/16 at 06:35 PM

That looks like a Ford disc brake handbrake cable. If it is there is a rod missing from the handbrake. It has a hole in each end one vertical which should be riveted to the handbrake and one horizontal which attaches to the half moon shaped thing on the cable by a pin with a clip. You could make one with some flat bar with a half twist and a hole in each end. Most kit cars require the cable to be shortened.

Rossmcleod2012 - 5/4/16 at 08:30 PM

Fab guys

Thanks for your help

Sorted