Board logo

Whatever happened to the MNR reverse box?
DANMAN - 1/5/14 at 08:58 AM

Anyone know why MNR stopped making reverse boxes? The Quaife ones sound like a box full of spanners and there doesn't seem to be any other options of a similar bolt in replacement.

fesycresy - 1/5/14 at 09:11 AM

Nova Racing is probably the best.

They just don't seem to market them well and they never have them in stock. You place an order and go on the waiting list.

These are the boxes used in Legends racing, I believe.

Nova Racing

wylliezx9r - 1/5/14 at 09:41 AM

I had a Nova Racing box that was about 10 years old and it still worked perfectly, I would highly recommend them.

Eatpies316 - 1/5/14 at 11:36 AM

I have one but my cars not finished so can't comment on it. But I did also wonder why you never hear about them????

HappyFather - 1/5/14 at 12:08 PM

I have one, bought in 2010 when I bought my kit, but it's not finished yet either.

As far as I can remember, problem was that when the crisis started, MNR had a problem with the cog fabricator. Probably the supplier went under. And MNR stopped having them. My bet is they found none who would make the cogs for the same price and the prices they got would make them more expensive than Quaife. Out of market.

I just hope there was no big issue with the box, only heard of one story of problems and it was deemed to be the driver's fault handling the box.

ReMan - 1/5/14 at 03:01 PM

Have they actually stopped making them?

I have one that needs a refurb as there is a touch movement in the flanges and a seepage of oil following almost no use.
Trouble is now its in the car I'm laothe to remove it now the weather's picking up, even though I' never got as far as adding the lever to operat it!!!

adithorp - 1/5/14 at 03:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by HappyFather
I just hope there was no big issue with the box, only heard of one story of problems and it was deemed to be the driver's fault handling the box.

"deemed" by who?

I'd heard there were issues with them but the person who told me wouldn't say what and I can'tnow remember who said it. Then when they were no longer available I assumed (rightly or wrongly) that the tale was true and they'd quietly switched from their box being the bees-knees, best thing since sliced bread, to recommending/fitting electric reverse.

matt_gsxr - 1/5/14 at 04:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
"deemed" by who?

"by whom", come on man standards.

Matt

p.s. see you at Stoneleigh.

Eatpies316 - 1/5/14 at 04:51 PM

I have heard from someone on here the box isn't the most reliable. But if it gets me through the iva then conks out I won't be too upset.

HappyFather - 1/5/14 at 07:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:
Originally posted by HappyFather

"deemed" by who?

I'd heard there were issues with them but the person who told me wouldn't say what and I can't now remember who said it. Then when they were no longer available I assumed (rightly or wrongly) that the tale was true and they'd quietly switched from their box being the bees-knees, best thing since sliced bread, to recommending/fitting electric reverse.

Well... It was probably something I've read around here before, since this site is my main connection to the kit car scene (not living in the UK nor being British and all).
And I would believe that it was deemed by MNR following a quality analysis (probably sprout by a warranty claim).
Maybe searching the archives/ancient posts here would answer the question.

johnny chimpo - 1/5/14 at 11:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ReMan

I have one that needs a refurb as there is a touch movement in the flanges and a seepage of oil following almost no use.
Trouble is now its in the car I'm laothe to remove it now the weather's picking up, even though I' never got as far as adding the lever to operat it!!!

I had my MNR reverse box refurbished by them about a month ago, so I doubt you will have any problems getting yours done if you decide to take it out the car.

DANMAN - 2/5/14 at 08:32 AM

How noisy are the Nova boxes compared to the Quaife? They look like a PITA to mount, particularly when I am changing from a Quaife unit.

[Edited on 2/5/14 by DANMAN]

Eatpies316 - 2/5/14 at 08:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by johnny chimpo
quote:

I had my MNR reverse box refurbished by them about a month ago, so I doubt you will have any problems getting yours done if you decide to take it out the car.

That's good to know

ReMan - 2/5/14 at 11:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Eatpies316
quote:
Originally posted by johnny chimpo
quote:

That's good to know

It is

MeteorMotorsport - 6/5/14 at 12:38 PM

Please see http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/9/viewthread.php?tid=191003

for more info.