Board logo

Half-Shaft Refurbishment
scootz - 8/12/16 at 12:00 PM

Can anyone help please with a recommendation for someone to refurbish a pair of half-shafts for me?

I don't think there's anything wrong with them - just want them stripped, cleaned, re-painted and reassembled.

Cheers

nick205 - 8/12/16 at 01:43 PM

Maybe be me missing the point, but are half-shafts not inside live axles?

Drive-shafts I've refurbished, but I can't see what would need doing to half-shafts.

scootz - 8/12/16 at 02:40 PM

I use the word half-shafts as using the term drive-shafts brings into play what I would call prop-shafts with some folk.

But yes, I mean these fella's...

steve m - 8/12/16 at 03:24 PM

It probably too far for you to drive

But I dropped off my propshaft to Autoprop in Sussex, only yesterday for a refurb and balance
It should be back with me next week, but im in no rush

http://www.autoprop-uk.co.uk/contact.php

nick205 - 8/12/16 at 05:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I use the word half-shafts as using the term drive-shafts brings into play what I would call prop-shafts with some folk.

But yes, I mean these fella's...

Aha, that's clarified it and agrees entirely with my thinking.

Usually you can buy refub kits from a motor factors. That said I got genuine Ford refurb kits for my Sierra drive-shafts from my local Ford main dealer.

scootz - 8/12/16 at 05:22 PM

Cheer guys.

I've been talking with a local(ish) company called Driveline Scotland Ltd. They would need to see my shafts, but reckon to budget around a £110 a shaft to refurbish to 'as new'.

raptor700 - 9/12/16 at 07:23 AM

You can buy a brand new pair of driveshafts off eBay for £160 for the pair.

I don't understand refurbing or people buying 20 year old driveshafts that have done 150,000 miles .

I have some in my Hayabusa powered Mk that I use on track and they are fine

nick205 - 9/12/16 at 09:26 AM

My refurb of my Sierra drive-shafts consisted of new metal cans, o-rings, grease, gaitors and clips. I re-used the actual bearings and tripods, which were fine. The drive-shafts worked faultlessly thereafter and never leaked. I did the rufurb because the gaitors were split and the refurb kits from the local Ford main dealer were something like £15 per drive-shaft. Removing the metail cans and peining the replacement ones in place was tricky, but worked fine.

Personally it's not a job I'd pay someone else to do for me, but then I'm a bit tight like that really.

scootz - 9/12/16 at 02:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raptor700
You can buy a brand new pair of driveshafts off eBay for £160 for the pair.

Bit of a broad statement.

The shafts I am looking for have been discontinued by the manufacturer, and there are no aftermarket offerings.

scootz - 9/12/16 at 02:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
My refurb of my Sierra drive-shafts consisted of new metal cans, o-rings, grease, gaitors and clips. I re-used the actual bearings and tripods, which were fine. The drive-shafts worked faultlessly thereafter and never leaked. I did the rufurb because the gaitors were split and the refurb kits from the local Ford main dealer were something like £15 per drive-shaft. Removing the metail cans and peining the replacement ones in place was tricky, but worked fine.

Personally it's not a job I'd pay someone else to do for me, but then I'm a bit tight like that really.

There are however aftermarket gaiter kits for the shafts available for not a lot of cash... but the owners club members generally agree that they are rubbish.

Just established that OE kits were still available from the manufacturer - not cheap though. Set of 2 inner kits, 2 outer kits and a pair of shaft to transmission circlips comes in at £241.83. Add powder coat for the 2 shafts and that price rises. And that's assuming the CV joints are fine.

luke2152 - 9/12/16 at 11:49 PM

Dodsons made me new driveshafts in a different length for £100 per side and made them far beefier than the originals - great job and they just needed to know the lenght and spline pattern for each end. They did take their bloody time doing it though.

nick205 - 12/12/16 at 04:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

There are however aftermarket gaiter kits for the shafts available for not a lot of cash... but the owners club members generally agree that they are rubbish.

Just established that OE kits were still available from the manufacturer - not cheap though. Set of 2 inner kits, 2 outer kits and a pair of shaft to transmission circlips comes in at £241.83. Add powder coat for the 2 shafts and that price rises. And that's assuming the CV joints are fine.

OK - seems a tad pricey to me.

Personally I'd be spray painting the shafts to avoid the cost of having them powder coated.