Board logo

Rubber mounts for gearbox
jps - 22/7/20 at 09:52 AM

I've currently got the original Ford metal/rubber mount for my Type3 gearbox, but thinking to swap for something made from sheet steel, with suitable rubber mounts. For the engine mounts I used the 'Landrover V8' type, so looking for something similar, but a little smaller in diameter.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm loathe to buy a replacement 'Type9' one such as Burton Power etc have - although they look roughly the same to me, i'm not clear they fit the Type 3 'box the same.

nick205 - 22/7/20 at 10:39 AM

MK Indy with a Ford Type 9 gear box. The donor Sierra gearbox mount rubber was like jelly so I replaced it with a much stiffer one from Westfield (I'm sure Westfield get them from somewhere). It limited the amount of movement at the gearbox tail and worked well for me. Sadly I don't have a photo to hand of it.

Link to Westfiled website and the Type 9 gearbox mount I used:

https:/ /parts.westfield-sportscars.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=718&search=gearbox+mount&description=true

I also fabricated a metal bracket to secure the gearbox mount to the MK Indy chasis. Different chasis and gearbox I appreciate, but thought it worth pointing out...

[img][/img]

[Edited on 22/7/20 by nick205]

pewe - 23/7/20 at 11:23 AM

Seem to recall something like Land Rover Defender mounts are same/similar?

mcerd1 - 23/7/20 at 09:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
MK Indy with a Ford Type 9 gear box. The donor Sierra gearbox mount rubber was like jelly so I replaced it with a much stiffer one from Westfield (I'm sure Westfield get them from somewhere). It limited the amount of movement at the gearbox tail and worked well for me. Sadly I don't have a photo to hand of it.

Link to Westfiled website and the Type 9 gearbox mount I used:

https:/ /parts.westfield-sportscars.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=718&search=gearbox+mount&description=true

^^ its also worth mentioning that the Westfield mount is actually the same as the Caterham ones - and both are just repro versions of the old ford 4 speed mount (ie. early Cortina)

With mine I've found a slight snag, the taper on my type 9 box is very slightly wider than these 4 speed mounts (fits the sierra type perfectly) - so I'm going to need to take a little metal off to get it to sit down nicely...