Board logo

making a nose cone
skydivepaul - 2/3/20 at 09:21 PM

I am looking to build a nose cone for my lotus 49 simulator (full size)
I built the sim last year and have been toying with the idea of making a nose cone.
Unsure as to make a plug, mould then a fibreglass nose cone or just try to make one from scratch out of hardboard / plastic or something else.
I am thinking a fibre glass nose cone would be best as athough it is a fairly simple shape it does have some compound curves.

Any advice appreciated

steve m - 3/3/20 at 07:54 AM

As it isn't going to be on a car, and weight not an issue, I would use "modeling foam" to make the structure
to the best shape, and then "modeling clay" to make a nice outer skin

Both of these techniques are messy, and really need to be done outside

and don't forget some pics, as the sim looked brilliant !!

steve

skydivepaul - 3/3/20 at 12:12 PM

Hi Steve,

cheers I'll look into that and of course will post some pics

gremlin1234 - 3/3/20 at 04:52 PM

as above, for a stationary one off, you could make it with plywood and filler, or clay, and just use that.
but also
if that comes out nice enough you could then make a (fiberglass) mould from that, to be able to produce more

skydivepaul - 3/3/20 at 10:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
as above, for a stationary one off, you could make it with plywood and filler, or clay, and just use that.
but also
if that comes out nice enough you could then make a (fiberglass) mould from that, to be able to produce more

Yes that was an option I was looking at. although for a one off it is making the part 3 times, plug, mould and part.
Never done any fibreglassing before except for bodging a wing on a mini once upon a time!

907 - 4/3/20 at 08:53 AM

There's only one material to make nose cones from..... You know it, I know it.

MagicalTrevor - 6/3/20 at 01:00 PM

Use modelling foam or the stuff they used for flower arranging, available in big blocks. You can sand it down and then use a thin layer of filler over the top before painting/wrapping.

skydivepaul - 7/3/20 at 02:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MagicalTrevor
Use modelling foam or the stuff they used for flower arranging, available in big blocks. You can sand it down and then use a thin layer of filler over the top before painting/wrapping.

cheers Trevor, my wife is a florist so has plenty of oasis in her workshop. Might get me in trouble if I use that much though!

ste - 8/3/20 at 10:42 AM

design it in cad, split the model and 3d print it. glue it together and youll be right.

it doesn't sound structural if its on a sim.

you could even use the 3d model to make the buck to fibreglass

MagicalTrevor - 8/3/20 at 10:54 AM

https://youtu.be/XeeSsmsm9h0

This is a really good guide incorporating 3D design and ultimately doing what I recommended above