Board logo

Vortex with duratec
andyhaase1 - 8/1/16 at 07:49 AM

Hi, first post so here goes.
I like the look of the vortex kit, particularly the inboard front suspension and round tube chassis. I also like the idea of a duratec engine rather than bike engine. Does anyone on here have one? Btw, I've no previous kit car experience except for a track day in a caterham last summer.
Andy

micksalt - 8/1/16 at 08:53 AM

Best bet is to speak to Marc or Chris on 01423780196. What they will probably require you to do is to send the engine and chosen gearbox to them before your chassis is built. That way, they can make any adjustments to the chassis, and fabricate the pick-up points. When I picked up my kit, they were in the process of putting a Suburu Impreza engine into their chassis, which is particularly challenging given its width, so your Duratec should be a walk in the park.

andyhaase1 - 8/1/16 at 10:31 AM

Thanks Mick,
I'm still researching so I don't have an engine yet, just looking at all the options. How does it work re registration if I were to build it myself with a used duratec?

micksalt - 8/1/16 at 10:42 AM

If you were to use a used Duratec, everything else would either have to be sourced from the donor of the Duratec, or be brand new to qualify for an age-related plate. I suspect the easiest way to make a used Duratec work is to also use a mk3 MX-5 donor, since the gearbox should mate straight up to it. The downside to this, however, is that you will end up on a Q-plate because you've got multiple donors.

The route I'm heading is a mk1 MX-5 1.8 donor car, but adding a third-party progammable ECU now, which should be good for 130-140 BHP. Then, later down the line, I can add a 3-bar MAP sensor, a supercharger and a new map to the ECU, then I'm good for 220 BHP without any internal engine modifications

[Edited on 8/1/2016 by micksalt]

mcerd1 - 8/1/16 at 02:48 PM

A Q plate isn't all bad though

Kits don't generally carry the same stigma with a Q plate and currently the Q plate means just a visual smoke test at your MOT (although the IVA requires a test related to the engine age - so that's with a cat for any duratec)

micksalt - 8/1/16 at 02:53 PM

I've never really understood the Q plate stigma, particularly since it gives you much more flexibility come MOT emissions time. However, there does appear to be the stigma. Odd.

andyhaase1 - 8/1/16 at 03:14 PM

Thanks for the help, not too fussed about a Q plate. I was impressed with the caterham that I did the trackday in, although that was a racecar with a sequential box, I won't be going to that expense, too noisy as well!
So a mm 3 mx5 gearbox will mate straight up to a sheared? Is it better to get the fiesta st 150 motor or just any mondeo 2 litre? I read its best to remove it yourself so the electrics can be labelled up. And I would still need some other mx5 donor parts?

micksalt - 8/1/16 at 03:26 PM

Be careful with the Fiestas, what Ford call a Duratec in their smaller models isn't necessarily a Duratec in our eyes.

andyhaase1 - 8/1/16 at 07:34 PM

St150 is duratec according to google. pumaspeed claim that their inlet manifold with a remap will produce 205bhp. I thought you had to fit throttle bodies to achieve that.

micksalt - 8/1/16 at 08:08 PM

Ah, that's good that you have confirmation. You will use the engine, wiring loom, ECU, keys, immobiliser aerial etc.. from the Fiesta, gearbox, prop shaft, diff, driveshaft, hub carriers, wheels, brakes, master cylinder, switches and steering column from the MX-5.

andyhaase1 - 8/1/16 at 08:18 PM

Ok thanks, so that's the mark 2 or mark 3 mx5?

micksalt - 8/1/16 at 09:00 PM

Mk3 for the straight fit to the Duratec.

[Edited on 8/1/2016 by micksalt]

sdh2903 - 8/1/16 at 09:09 PM

Careful though. As far as I'm aware the mk3 uprights, diff, brakes etc are all different to the mk1/2. The vortx is designed for a mk1/2 donor.

micksalt - 8/1/16 at 09:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
Careful though. As far as I'm aware the mk3 uprights, diff, brakes etc are all different to the mk1/2. The vortx is designed for a mk1/2 donor.

Indeed they are. However, if Roadrunner can accommodate the changes required, I'm sure it's no problem for Marc. Do contact them though to be sure.

sdh2903 - 8/1/16 at 09:27 PM

They can barely handle turning out a serviceable standard chassis at present, let alone any custom stuff.

andyhaase1 - 8/1/16 at 09:45 PM

Think I'll arrange a visit to the factory, it's only around 30 minutes from me.
Are there any owners around the Leeds area.

Digimon - 8/1/16 at 09:45 PM

If you do spend the extra on a ST150 engine make sure its got the higher flowing cylinder head, they have one of the following codes

RF3S4G or RF6S4E

From SBD they say its worth 10-15hp

Welcome to the forum btw

andyhaase1 - 8/1/16 at 10:06 PM

Thanks for all the tips.

Sam_68 - 8/1/16 at 10:41 PM

What sort of budget are you looking at, Andy, and when are you planning to purchase?

andyhaase1 - 9/1/16 at 09:48 AM

hi sam,
I don't really have a budget as such, I just thought I would buy the starter kit around july or august, then start collecting and refurbishing the donor parts required. It won't be a quick build, I intend to take my time and enjoy the experience. I will do as much as I'm able to do myself, I only have a single garage so will have to be well organised. I understand its more cost effective to buy a complete donor but dont have the room.

andyhaase1 - 20/1/16 at 10:09 AM

On Monday, I went to MNR for an unannounced visit as I was working not too far away and it was on my way home. (that is quite a remote location). I met Mark, and he showed me around the workshop, all the customers chassis and owners unfinished projects! They had some flooding over christmas and are still recovering.
Mark is a racer and was bigging up the bike engine option, but conceded its not ideal for the road. He said they can do a chassis for a duratec no problem, but they would need an engine first to do the mounts etc. For me, it was good to see a bare chassis and understand what goes into the manufacture process. Glad to say I am still keen to go for it!

andyhaase1 - 16/4/16 at 06:51 PM

Well, the project has started!
I bought a used fiesta ST engine yesterday, then went and got an engine stand to mount it on. Its a mountune spec engine so think it should be around 190bhp, should be a decent starting point. Let the stripping and cleaning begin!

big-vee-twin - 16/4/16 at 10:11 PM

The ST150 has larger valves and better gas flow head compared to the Duratec HE engine.

It also has the EGR valve blanked off and a standard flywheel, not a duel mass one.

My ST 150 is standard apart from the Jenveys and makes 193 HP.

andyhaase1 - 18/4/16 at 08:35 PM

http://http://i.imgur.com/7eh5hLR.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/YtrZNee.jpg

andyhaase1 - 18/4/16 at 08:44 PM

http://http://i.imgur.com/WqAwAzl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9DNBbl5.jpg

andyhaase1 - 16/7/16 at 04:39 PM

So, I now have the duratec engine with a mx5 mark three box, and a sierra lsd diff coutesy of a member on this forum.
all cleaned up and nicely painted, and I have managed to source some jenvey throttle bodies, manifold, trumpets, backplate, and a jenvey oil filter adapter, to rotate the position of the filter from vertical to horizontal. Also got a 10 degree raceline ally sump that keeps the engine level when using the mx5 box. I still need a clutch, I'm presuming an mx5 clutch will do the trick, can anyone on here confirm that? I don't have an ecu yet, not too bothered yet. I will need a steering column soon though, so that I can take everything over to MNR ready for mark to start the chassis build. What column should I buy? mx5?
Andy
ps. how do I change the thread title to get rid of the e in vortex

andyhaase1 - 3/8/16 at 09:25 PM

No going back now, the order is in with Mark at MNR. I managed to get a mark 1 mx5 column, stalks, lock and wheel for the IVA. Also got a flywheel for the mark 3 box at the same time. Chassis should be ready around october.

snapper - 4/8/16 at 05:51 AM

If you use the MX5 as a donor and the Duratec engine you should have enough points to register on an age related plate

andyhaase1 - 4/12/16 at 09:51 PM

I picked up the chassis and boxes of new parts two weeks ago from Mark's workshop, along with my engine, box and diff that he needed to fabricate the various pickups.
Before they went to MNR, the running gear were all cleaned and painted, and the duratec was treated to a raceline sump and jenvey throttle bodies. I have since also got some pipercross cams that need fitting.
After I painted the diff, I decided there was too much backlash! so I'll be stripping and refurbing it later.

andyhaase1 - 4/12/16 at 09:58 PM

I stripped the diff because there's too much backlash on one output shaft, when I actually got it apart, I found there was too much end float on the pinion shaft. The spacer behind it is the culprit, I need to buy one or make one approx 0.2 mm thicker.

While I'm waiting for the diff spacer to arrive from Germany! I decided to fit the new camshafts.
Unfortunately I discovered that the cams require machined pistons fitting, so I've decided to go the whole way, and fit forged pistons and rods, this is something I considered earlier, but was reluctant due to the cost. However, I have a contact that has all this kit gathering dust due to an abandoned project, so we did a deal.
Today I have removed the crank pulley (very tight), front cover, drive chain, cams, head and then the sump, to access the big end caps. With these off then the Pistons were pulled out, and then I ran a honing tool down the bores to deglaze them.

andyhaase1 - 4/12/16 at 10:07 PM

I also have seats, 2nd hand but exactly what I wanted, fibreglass, with neoprene pads.

dunk3 - 22/1/17 at 05:26 PM

Hi andyhaase1 is there any updates on your build, as i am thinking of building a MNR

andyhaase1 - 22/1/17 at 07:25 PM

Hi dunk3,
I see you're in pontecarlo! Not far from me.
Yes the build is progressing ok, not as quick as I would like, but you gotta have a life as well. The master cylinders and pedals are in, brake and fuel lines done, diff mounted on nylon spacers, prop is in, gearbox is sat in the tunnel but I can't mount it until I lift the engine in on to the mounts, to give me a final position. I can't do that cos I haven't finished rebuilding the engine yet! Waiting for a member on here who is digging out some cam buckets I need to set the valve clearances. Fuel tank is in, pump and filter fitted loosely, waiting on fittings for the pump. Rear inboard springs, shocks, rockers in. Right rear wishbones and upright on loosely to check how it all fits.
That's about all for now, I can only say good things about the way it's all gone together so far, it's my first build but I can recommend dealing with Mark and Wes, they're very helpful.
Andy

dunk3 - 24/1/17 at 04:48 PM

Hi Andy sounds like your progressing well , going to MNR on friday to have a look at there cars and meet marc