Board logo

My car is no more
Johneturbo - 8/9/08 at 04:51 PM

I'm sat here in shock. me and lisa were going out for a drive today and 5 mins from home there was a bang and flames from the tunnel, i managed to pull into a side road but the flames were too big to do anything with, and 1 min later the car was engulfed, sadly it took 20 mins for the brigade to arrive.
the main thing is we are ok

but i'm so gutted
hopefuly i'll have no insurance problems as i'm fully comp.
Rescued attachment burt4 wreck3.jpg
Rescued attachment burt4 wreck3.jpg

clairetoo - 8/9/08 at 04:56 PM

I dont know what to say............

bigrich - 8/9/08 at 04:56 PM

Jesus mate, thats bad, glad to here your ok.

Guinness - 8/9/08 at 04:58 PM

First things first, at least you are alright!

Looks nasty.

Hope the insurance pays out.

Mike

Andy W - 8/9/08 at 05:00 PM

Gutted for you, glad you are both ok

Andy

chris_smith - 8/9/08 at 05:02 PM

OMG thats awfullooks a complete mess really feeling for ya mate

dave1888 - 8/9/08 at 05:03 PM

Glad your both ok, that rear o/s wheel looks like it had a bit of severe heat to do that damage.

pewe - 8/9/08 at 05:04 PM

That's terrible - you must be totally pi**ed but at least you're OK.
Any ideas as to the cause - broken fuel line must be high on the list for it to have gone up that quickly?
Trust the insurance co. are OK - just don't let them screw you.
Cheers, Pewe

TGR-ECOSSE - 8/9/08 at 05:05 PM

I don't know why but when i read the title i knew it was a fire You must be gutted It was bad enough when i lost 2 kits in a fire but to lose a completed car must be unbearable. Good luck with the insurance hope it works out for you.
I recently scrapped the chassis on the top of the pile in this pic and got £27.20

SeaBass - 8/9/08 at 05:08 PM

Holy Cow... Really sorry to hear that. Not much I can say that will help you but at least you and the Mrs are unscathed. Burns are a terrible thing. JC

jollygreengiant - 8/9/08 at 05:09 PM

Gutted for you mate. At least you are both ok, hopefully the insurance side of it will not be a pain.

Hellfire - 8/9/08 at 05:09 PM

That's one serious fire..... The heat must have been intense. Glad you're both ok.

Team Hellfire

muzchap - 8/9/08 at 05:11 PM

Jesus - that is awful.

I know your heads in a different place - but any ideas what triggered the bang and flames?

Did the gearbox or prop let go and puncture the fuel line? I can see the copper pipe still visible in the pic.

I'm definitely plumbing my fire extinguisher system in now.

Cheers,

Murray

[Edited on 8/9/08 by muzchap]

Snap-off - 8/9/08 at 05:12 PM

Glad no one was injured!
You must be really gutted!

locoR1 - 8/9/08 at 05:12 PM

OMG that is awful after all that work. I'm really gutted for you

ReMan - 8/9/08 at 05:20 PM

Just to echo the other comments, very sorry it's got to hurt when you spend so much time doing something and doing it well.
Glad you're OK though and hope it' sorted swiftly through your insurance.
Col

saigonij - 8/9/08 at 05:28 PM

do you know what caused it? was it a fuel line problem?

matt.c - 8/9/08 at 05:28 PM

Oh no! Im so sorry for you. Glad you are both ok.
Did you have a fire extinguisher? Was the fire too quick?

Once again im very glad you walked away.

[Edited on 8/9/08 by matt.c]

saigonij - 8/9/08 at 05:28 PM

do you know what caused it? was it a fuel line problem?

CraigJ - 8/9/08 at 05:36 PM

F**K me thats bad, glad your ok.

big_wasa - 8/9/08 at 05:39 PM

omg

CRAIGR - 8/9/08 at 05:43 PM

Gutted for you mate

russbost - 8/9/08 at 05:47 PM

Can't say more than has already been said - glad you're ok & gutted for your loss.

Johneturbo - 8/9/08 at 05:53 PM

thanks for the comments guys, its does help a bit

TGR Ecosse i remember reading about yours last year and felt sick for you

what was against me was the local fire station 2mins from where it happened (beaconsfield)were out on training so the guys from high wycombe staion came out but thats 15/20mins away

i wish i had a fire extinguisher as i might of saved her, or some of her
if i build one again thats on the top of my list.

don't really know what happened, (something broke engine side) as the car is at the pound now, so not had a chance to get a proper look.

theconrodkid - 8/9/08 at 05:54 PM

theconrodkid - 8/9/08 at 05:56 PM

adithorp - 8/9/08 at 05:56 PM

Gutted for you!

adrian

adithorp - 8/9/08 at 05:57 PM

Gutted for you!

adrian

imp paul - 8/9/08 at 06:02 PM

glad your both ok hope you get things sorted soon all the best paul

[Edited on 8/9/08 by imp paul]

splitrivet - 8/9/08 at 06:09 PM

Feel for you mate, you and the missus are OK which is the main thing.
Cheers,
Bob

Triggerhappy - 8/9/08 at 06:15 PM

Disaster!!
Really sorry for you.

Glad you came out of it in good nick, so you can build an new one.

/Michael

tom_loughlin - 8/9/08 at 06:31 PM

Sh!t mate, genuinely gutted for you.
Hope things get sorted for you smoothly, and I am happy to hear noone was injured.
T

jambojeef - 8/9/08 at 06:33 PM

Holy jesus......

Glad and you're ok - gutted for you

Hope they pay out soon

Geoff

coozer - 8/9/08 at 06:38 PM

OMG, glad to see your OK, I'm still a bit gutted after my crash but that looks like the end of the world.

Time for everyone to get an extinguisher...

Steve

Steve Lovelock - 8/9/08 at 06:45 PM

That's stunningly bad, I feel for you in a big way.

Steve Lovelock - 8/9/08 at 06:46 PM

That's stunningly bad, I feel for you in a big way.

RickRick - 8/9/08 at 06:46 PM

do you think it could have been somthing damaging the fuel pipe/hose in the tunnel i was a bit worried about how mine run, especialy past the reverse gearbox mount

Shadowcaster - 8/9/08 at 06:51 PM

The main thing is that your both OK but what a heartbreaking thing to happen. Hope the insurance goes smoothly.

dr-fastlane - 8/9/08 at 06:54 PM

That's the nightmare nobody wants to happend. Glad you and your miss are oke.

[Edited on 8/9/08 by dr-fastlane]

DRC INDY 7 - 8/9/08 at 06:54 PM

Marlon - 8/9/08 at 07:13 PM

I can only reiterate what has been said already in that both myself and swmbo are both gutted for you. For that to happen to your pride and joy must be Devastating
I'm just glad that you are both ok!

john.

britishtrident - 8/9/08 at 07:15 PM

We feel for you -- apart from giving our sympathy the the best thing we can do learn from it.

vinny1275 - 8/9/08 at 07:20 PM

Sorry to see that JohnE - good to hear you're both in one piece. Defo a big extinguisher going in ours!

All the best battling the insurers - hope they're not too much of a pain!

ATB

Vince

novacaine - 8/9/08 at 07:35 PM

bloody hell!

glad you're ok,

its got to be heartbreaking to look back at the photos

Just focus on getting your money from the insurance and building your new one

i'm sure you will receive plenty of support from everyone on here

Fozzie - 8/9/08 at 07:40 PM

OMG.... so very sorry to hear and see that....

But very relieved you and Mrs Turbo are ok......

We had our very own major mega disaster (fire) at the end of July, so I fully understand how bad you must be feeling.....

Chin up...... and take comfort that neither of you were hurt........

Fozzie

Dangle_kt - 8/9/08 at 07:59 PM

Looks like its melted into the road! Shocking stuff.
I am pleased you are both ok.

Did you have copper or rubber fuel lines?

COREdevelopments - 8/9/08 at 07:59 PM

i really dont know what to say!! other than glad you both are ok and all the best with the insurance. i really dont know how i would react if that happened to me!

atb

Rob

COREdevelopments - 8/9/08 at 08:00 PM

i really dont know what to say!! other than glad you both are ok and all the best with the insurance. i really dont know how i would react if that happened to me!

atb

Rob

jacko - 8/9/08 at 08:18 PM

Sorry to read this bad news i'm glad your both ok
Graham

Richard Quinn - 8/9/08 at 08:29 PM

Holy cr*p! Nothing to say other than to echo everyone else's comments.
How long did it take for the fire to take proper hold? Just interested to know how long you had to get out and to a safe distance.

LBMEFM - 8/9/08 at 08:38 PM

Wow thats some fire, the power of fire is scary, feel for you mate. Will you build another?
Barry

[Edited on 8/9/08 by LBMEFM]

Benzine - 8/9/08 at 09:00 PM

gingerpaule - 8/9/08 at 09:05 PM

Just been directed here from the Rush forum. So sorry to see what's happened. I'm glad you're both ok and I hope you have some luck with the insurance company.

gingerpaule - 8/9/08 at 09:06 PM

Just been directed here from the Rush forum. So sorry to see what's happened. I'm glad you're both ok and I hope you have some luck with the insurance company.

GeorgeM - 8/9/08 at 09:16 PM

what else can you say

trextr7monkey - 8/9/08 at 09:32 PM

Awful luck!
I go hill walking occasionally with a retired fire chief and we talk about things in general , on the subject of kit cars he told me he'd been to a few that had gone up where the wheels had melted and there was only a few bits of steel left.
I thought he was exagerating but now I'm not so sure.

hope you are back on the roads before too long
atb
Mike

lsdweb - 8/9/08 at 09:38 PM

Dreadful news - I feel for you but you're both OK and that's the most important thing.

Build another!

MK chippy - 8/9/08 at 09:48 PM

Glad to hear you guys are ok! Cant believe how much damage there is!! thats some fire! really makes me think!!

graememk - 8/9/08 at 10:21 PM

oh mate i feel for you....... sorry to see your sad news.

i've just finished a drill on RTC fires as well.

[Edited on 9/9/08 by graememk]

ditchlewis - 8/9/08 at 10:34 PM

i'm gutted for you

i hope the insurance fully compensates you.

ditch

ditchlewis - 8/9/08 at 10:35 PM

i'm gutted for you

ditch

ditchlewis - 8/9/08 at 10:35 PM

i'm gutted for you

ditch

BenB - 8/9/08 at 10:55 PM

that sucks.
and it was a sweet car too

at least you two are okay....

vindicator - 8/9/08 at 11:38 PM

OMG!!!!!!!!!! all that I can think of is that we are all driving around is something like this and it can happen to any of us.......if it was a broken fuel line do you think you would have stopped it if you had a extinguisher...if that is all that is left after 20 mins.....would you have been safe attempting to put it out....

ok, moving on we know what your first change is going to be...what else are you planning to do differnetly on your next build......I know I would do things differently on my next build....

regards

timr
ps glad your both safe.

vindicator - 8/9/08 at 11:39 PM

OMG!!!!!!!!!! all that I can think of is that we are all driving around is something like this and it can happen to any of us.......if it was a broken fuel line do you think you would have stopped it if you had a extinguisher...if that is all that is left after 20 mins.....would you have been safe attempting to put it out....

ok, moving on we know what your first change is going to be...what else are you planning to do differnetly on your next build......I know I would do things differently on my next build....

regards

timr
ps glad your both safe.

vindicator - 8/9/08 at 11:39 PM

regards

timr
ps glad your both safe.

speedyxjs - 9/9/08 at 06:33 AM

OMG!!!
At least your ok but OH THE CAR

Agriv8 - 9/9/08 at 06:45 AM

Gutted for you - the car can be replaced people can not hope the insurance company pull there finger out.

Sympathies

Agriv8

welderman - 9/9/08 at 07:00 AM

omg

Stuart_B - 9/9/08 at 07:10 AM

glad your ok, but sorry for your lost of the car.

stuart

l0rd - 9/9/08 at 07:30 AM

I am gutted as well. It is a scary looking at your car like this.
At least both of you are fine which is what matters in the end.
Good luck to you with the insurance.

stuart_g - 9/9/08 at 07:56 AM

John, I am glad Lisa and you got out with no injury. Sounds like the fire took hold pretty quick.
I am totally gutted for you and was horrified to see what has happened to your car.
I hope your insurance company doesn't mess you about and that you can find the enthusiasm to build another. It would be a real shame if you didn't.

all the best
Stuart and Anita.

jabbahutt - 9/9/08 at 08:30 AM

Good god that's nasty. The fact you're both okay is the main thing.

sucksqueezebangblow - 9/9/08 at 08:53 AM

I can't believe it John. Your pride and joy. I was going to wait till after SVA to plumb in my extinguisher. I'm not sure I should wait now! Good luck with the insurers and I hope you go ahead with another build.

02GF74 - 9/9/08 at 08:56 AM

That will polish out.

Seriously though, bad luck but it can be replaced - important bit is that you both are here to post photos and stuff.

Not sure if you had a fire extinguisher but sometimes it may be better not to have one as you wouldn't be tempted to fight a fire that you have not chance of putting out.

Look on the bright side, the weather is crap so you wouldn't have been driving it much anyway.

[Edited on 9/9/08 by 02GF74]

Delinquent - 9/9/08 at 09:39 AM

mate that must be devastating.

In my other hobby we have a phrase for things like this happening to help keep the chin up - "unscheduled upgrade opportunity". Hopefully the insurance will come good, and instead of looking at what you've lost, start thinking about how much better then next incarnation is going to be.

Obviously you'll have to call it Phoenix as well

I think I'd definitely be going for a plumbed extinguisher next time too.

Hammerhead - 9/9/08 at 09:43 AM

really sorry to see that pic. Glad your ok as is everyone else.

I think the only sensible thing for all of us to do is to plumb in a fire extinguisher. I dread to think what would happen if someone was trapped in the car due to an accident and fire took hold. With a plumbed in extinguisher as long as you can move your arms you should be able to pull the toggle to set it off (or someone else may reach in and do it).
I got one for my elise and it cost £200 which ain't cheap but it's peanuts compared to what could happen. You can also get smaller ones that would be cheaper maybe £150?

I'm deffo going to fit one to the MK after seeing that.

Steve.

iank - 9/9/08 at 10:02 AM

Just seen this - must have been very scary.Though I doubt there's enough left to identify the reason with any certainty.
As above glad all are ok.

Fencewrecker - 9/9/08 at 11:32 AM

OMG, at least you both are OK, but as some have said, look at the upgrades you can do!!

Dave

Buzz Billsberry - 9/9/08 at 11:56 AM

Just seen this on the Westfield site, I absolutely gutted for you but at least you're ok.

Buzz

Richard Quinn - 9/9/08 at 12:02 PM

Didn't Andy Bates mention the possibility of a group buy on extinguishers at some point? Did anything ever cover of it?
I just find it slightly ironic that you would be likely to have some challenges getting a plumbed in system through SVA due to radii etc on T handles. Perhaps we could just print out the photo on the first page as justification.

Fozzie - 9/9/08 at 12:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
Didn't Andy Bates mention the possibility of a group buy on extinguishers at some point? Did anything ever cover of it?
I just find it slightly ironic that you would be likely to have some challenges getting a plumbed in system through SVA due to radii etc on T handles. Perhaps we could just print out the photo on the first page as justification.

No....I got mine through SVA no problem, I incorporated the 'plumbed in' with my build.....first time pass too .... 4 years ago!

The handles were removed for SVA, (secure the cables first), and 'sticky back' round pads of felt, just over the size of the hole was applied........ my car was built for road and race so also had a full cage in situ for SVA...... examiner said the pads were a good idea.....

The pads (beige) are of the type you buy at your local DIY store to put on the bottom of appliance/furniture legs....

HTH Fozzie

paublo999 - 9/9/08 at 03:11 PM

bad luck m8..

[Edited on 10/9/08 by paublo999]

Johneturbo - 9/9/08 at 07:22 PM

hey guys/girls thanks again for the comments, it does ease the pain a bit.
the kit car community is almost as good as the biking one

trying to stay positive with it all, and if i do build again maybe make her a bit better but the same spec.
but i must say that the thought of going through the build and sva again is also a scary one.

got a call today, the car is being picked up from the depot,to be taken away for engineers inspection. so hopefuly i'll hear some news next week from my insurance.
if i get any news i'll let you know

[Edited on 9/9/08 by Johneturbo]

Gergely - 10/9/08 at 07:28 AM

OMG! I am gutted for you!
I hope your insurance gets sorted and I hope you do build another one soon!
As they say around here (on the topic of houses, but its kind of the same...):
The first one you build for your enemy, the second one for a friend and the third one will be good enough for yourself!
In other words: Your next car can only be better than the first!
Cheer up!
Gergely

TimC - 10/9/08 at 08:12 AM

Ugh! That's not good at all. An engineers inspection? Should be exciting... "Yup, it's definetely got hot."

I hope the insurance Co pay up swiftly!

Delinquent - 10/9/08 at 10:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TimC
Ugh! That's not good at all. An engineers inspection? Should be exciting... "Yup, it's definetely got hot."

I hope the insurance Co pay up swiftly!

I can just see it now - the official report.

"I found a wheel or two. At least I'm pretty sure they are wheels - oooh and look, I think that was a headlight. Oh no, my mistake it's my lunchbox".

finlay - 10/9/08 at 04:35 PM

geees, just read this, gutted for you

marc n - 12/9/08 at 08:32 AM

total nightmare, havent seen one of these types of cars on fire but seen a normal tin top, if you cant put it out in the first minute then they burn so quick its scary, there are just so many flammable materials

gutted for you john

i reckon once the insurance is sorted and we have our new building up we could have an mnr / locostbuilders build weekend, wher anyone wanting to help buid etc could come up to the workshop and help

what do we reckon ???

best regards

marc

Agriv8 - 12/9/08 at 10:30 AM

As long as the coffee machine is on I recon easilly do-able in 2 days if all the parts are preped and ready to go.

I am up for it - possible get one of the kit car mags involleved as it would publicise the MNR build bays ( when planning pull there thumb out from where the sun does not shine )

REgards

Agriv8

Johneturbo - 13/9/08 at 10:06 AM

Haha i do like that idea, maybe call record breakers
Lisa said she'll make the sarnies, and prolly supervise too, as long as she can play with bob!

i'm trying not to think about it too much untill i do get a cheque thou.

richardh - 13/9/08 at 10:21 AM

really gutted for you
glad you are both ok
let us all know if you get to know what happened to cause that..............
hope your insurance co don't muck you about

Krismc - 13/9/08 at 02:39 PM

...Yea mate any help you require, let us know.

plus is gives us a chance to get out for a Blat!

Chris B - 25/9/08 at 02:41 PM

Count me in but I warn you, I drink alot of coffee