Board logo

Battery Recomendation
mcg - 19/6/20 at 08:22 AM

Following this thread Battery Charging Issue I think I need to replace my battery, and are looking for recommendations on what to get and how best to maintain it when it is only used a few times per year.

- Currently have Odyssey Extreme Racing 25 / PC680. This is my second one, and it seems my extreme intermittent use is not working well with it. The small size however fits perfectly in my car.

- Engine is a C20XE with standard injection.

So, what should I get, and how best should I maintain it when 99% of the time the car isn't used?

Any help would be great as always.

Many thanks

Matt

rusty nuts - 19/6/20 at 11:43 AM

Why don’t you see what Odyssey recommends

britishtrident - 19/6/20 at 12:00 PM

These are really good smart chargers. Battery recovery and smart maintainance charging on all types of battery.
Unlike a lot of smart chargers they automatically resume using the settings after the mains power goes down.

Maypole 7423A Smart Charger

[Edited on 19/6/20 by britishtrident]

[Edited on 19/6/20 by britishtrident]

russbost - 19/6/20 at 12:59 PM

Li ion don't suffer degradation without charge for long periods & should way outlast lead acid

cosmicicecreamman - 19/6/20 at 01:22 PM

I use a powerlite PS 09 in my race car. It can struggle to start from cold, I use a starter pack, but once the engine is up to temp it's fine to start.

https://www.powerlite-units.com/power/ps-09.html

My friend uses the PS 20 in his Caterham and M3 which is more than capable.

watsonpj - 19/6/20 at 02:30 PM

I have a Li ion battery and I would not go back, the car has been sitting for a few years and over wintering and then gets the occasional start so not an ideal way to operator.
I just press the button to see the charge level if its 2 or 3 i'll do a start but if its at 1 I'll recharge but to be honest it seems to hold charge extremely well so i have only needed to charge after months worth of me ignoring it.
My previous battery was 5.5kg the current one is 0.9kg and about 60% of the size, they actually supply plastic feet to make it fit in the same postions/clamps.

Pete

mcg - 19/6/20 at 04:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by watsonpj
I have a Li ion battery and I would not go back, the car has been sitting for a few years and over wintering and then gets the occasional start so not an ideal way to operator.
I just press the button to see the charge level if its 2 or 3 i'll do a start but if its at 1 I'll recharge but to be honest it seems to hold charge extremely well so i have only needed to charge after months worth of me ignoring it.
My previous battery was 5.5kg the current one is 0.9kg and about 60% of the size, they actually supply plastic feet to make it fit in the same postions/clamps.

Pete

Excellent. Which Li Ion do you have?

number-1 - 20/6/20 at 11:13 AM

Im having the same issue with the same battery! Its less than a year old.

Ill await the Li Ion recommendations and get one and return the PC680 to eurocarparts

Paul M - 21/6/20 at 11:21 AM

I've just bought an Extreme 600 - 3 yr guarantee. - same size/spec as an Odyssey 680 and just under half the price - slow delivery
-took just under a week to get here but they advertise it as free next day delivery

https://www.batterybayuk.co.uk/leoch-xtreme-xr-600-228-p.asp

mcg - 22/6/20 at 10:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Paul M
I've just bought an Extreme 600 - 3 yr guarantee. - same size/spec as an Odyssey 680 and just under half the price - slow delivery
-took just under a week to get here but they advertise it as free next day delivery

https://www.batterybayuk.co.uk/leoch-xtreme-xr-600-228-p.asp

Excellent - thanks for the recommendation. Very decent value.

SJ - 22/6/20 at 11:13 AM

I just bought one of these as well. Seems good.