Board logo

Quaife Tansaxle Gearbox question
richardm6994 - 27/7/17 at 07:55 AM

This is really doing my head in now and making me feel like an right idiot!

I've got a second hand quaife 6 speed transaxle gearbox for a project. The code for the gearbox is QBE52G.

The gear selector rod sticking out the rear has 9 potential positions. These are 3 positions horizontally (pushed in - middle - pulled out) and 3 rotated positions (quarter turn up - middle - quarter turn down).

I've gone through every position of the selector rod, and worked out which are a forward gears (not yet worked out gear numbers), which is the reverse gear and also which are the neutral positions. These are as follows;

middle x middle = neutral
middle x up = neutral
middle x down = neutral

in x middle = forward gear
in x up = reverse gear
in x down = forward gear

out x middle = forward gear
out x up = selector wont move into this position
out x down = forward gear

The obvious problem is the above only gives 4 forward gears and reverse - but this is meant to be a 6 speed box (2nd hand but in new and unused condition).

The selector rod doesn't seem to want to move any further in/out nor rotate any further up/down, so as far as I can see, there are definitely only 3 positions horz and 3 rotated positions for the rod.

I was expecting middle x up & middle x down to be forward gears also and this was would give the missing 2 gears - but these positions are definitely neutrals.

Can anyone please shed any light onto this as I'm about ready to run head first into a brick wall!! Everything on the internet confirms the box is a 6 speed, and it doesn't look like quaife made a 4 speed version.

HowardB - 27/7/17 at 08:10 AM

Call Geoff at Quaife - they are open 8-5 and very helpful

Tel:+44 (0)1732 741144