OT : Turbo Trainer

can anyone recommend me a good turbo trainer?, my bike is a scott sportster p6

cheers
Ray

Avoneer

posted on 3/11/09 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
Ask on bikeradar.com

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Daimo_45

posted on 4/11/09 at 02:45 AM Reply With Quote
I would go rollers over turbo trainer as it gives you the sensation of actually riding! Why not just go out and ride though?
02GF74

posted on 4/11/09 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
errr, becasue it is too dark, cod and wet perhaps?

as for trainer, get one that has a fan which routes the air against you. ?Sine you are getting no cooling from air movement, you, or well I do, end up sweating buckets, even in winter!!!

roller trainers have advantages and disadvatnage, the latter beng that you can fall off if not concntrating ... .but it sould be possible to make one from a bit of scaffold tubing and bearings?

[Edited on 4/11/09 by 02GF74]

MikeRJ

posted on 4/11/09 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

Sounds a bit fishy to me...

nick205

posted on 4/11/09 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

fish do tend to be wet

Colnago_Man

posted on 4/11/09 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
I've always had TACX trainers in the past and they've stood up to abuse pretty well. go for one with magnetic resistance rather than a fan (see link) as they are a bit smoother.
I agree with Damio that rollers are better but they are also for the more experience rider as they can be tricky to use.

Good value but basic.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productdetail.asp?productcatalogue=TACXTRAI665000000000

I use one of these because i live in the wettest part of the UK!

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productdetail.asp?productcatalogue=TACXTRAI700000000000

02GF74

posted on 4/11/09 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
^^^^^ ooh, don;t start me!!! NEVER BUY anything from Ribble cycles - they are lying thieveing bastards.!!!

grub

posted on 4/11/09 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
ooo you cant say that ,o go on then
Marcus

posted on 4/11/09 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Minoura RDA trainer which runs on the wheel rim rather than the tyre. Means I can use the mountain bike too without the buzz from the tyre. I've had it 5 years now with no problems (although it doesn't get much use)

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimEllershaw

posted on 4/11/09 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
I use a Tacx Flow - very good, highly recommended. I’ve had it for a couple of years and it has never missed a beat ( I peak at about 250 miles a week on it in the race season)

It has a good computer display / control unit that sits on your bars, and has the advantage of having a power reading, so you can get quite nerdy with your training
( it may not be 100% accurate when compared to a power-tap hub or similar, but if you do the little calibration routine after you have warmed up then it is accurate enough to give repeatable and meaning full results)
Smooth in operation and reasonably quiet.
Good range of resistance settings.
Heart rate and cadence readings.

I also have a set of rollers. They are quite different to use and serve a different purpose. If you are into serious training then you really need something with variable resistance.

If you are not into cycling then I can understand that this does look weird - why don't you just go outside ?? - but in training terms a good turbo trainer will allow you to ride in very controlled conditions whatever the weather. And for those who take it to extreemes the "push till you puke" all out sprints you do in training are just so much safer with no cars around.

Ribble:
The Tacx came from Ribble in one of their sales (half price). Very happy with their service, and they were really helpful when my wife dropped something on the its computer screen and I needed to replace it.
However, I have heard from people in the cycling club that have had problems with them. Can not be 100% sure, but did get a few dodgy credit card payments after I used a new card with them.

Cheers

Tim.

JAG

posted on 4/11/09 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Gist TT - it was recommended on Bike Radar (I think).

Basic device with variable resistance via a magnetic system. I bought it last December and it's been fine. I've just stopped riding to work again (wet, cold, windy, dark etc...) so it will be coming out. It cost about £90.

Just got a Continental Ultrasport Hometrainer tyre - my Turbo trainer almost ate the road tyre I used last winter

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.