Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Broken S2000's
scootz

posted on 17/2/10 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Broken S2000's

Flicking through the 'damaged repairable' ads on eBay and it struck me that there seems to be lots of S2000's listed.

It wasn't a huge seller, so why so many broken one's?

I've driven one a few times and not found it all that lairy...

It's Evolution Baby!

peteday_uk@btinternet.com

posted on 17/2/10 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
I work at a Honda dealership and unfortunatly all of the cars in the 7years of being here, have all been S2's driven by members of our sales team. I think most comes down to a lack of experiance of driving a reasonably high powered rear wheel drive car with no respect for the conditions.

Pete.

l0rd

posted on 17/2/10 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peteday_uk@btinternet.com
I work at a Honda dealership and unfortunatly all of the cars in the 7years of being here, have all been S2's driven by members of our sales team. I think most comes down to a lack of experiance of driving a reasonably high powered rear wheel drive car with no respect for the conditions.

Pete.

+1

And specially when some of them are women.

franky

posted on 17/2/10 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
High power, RWD early ones do get lairy when pushed, expensive parts/costs to repair so insurance companies write them off.
twybrow

posted on 17/2/10 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
My mate caused £10k of damge to one in his last week working as a Honda salesman. His boss gave him the car for 3 nights, and on the 2nd night, he lost the back end on a wet roundbout andf slid backwards into the Armco. I can tell you he was not popular!

I think they can be twitchy, and they have no driver aids to get you out of trouble!

alistairolsen

posted on 17/2/10 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
its like anything, rarely driven by enthusiasts until they are a certain age, and in the early years driven by a combinations of:

Daddys boys
posers
middle age businessmen (see above)
women

all attracted by the roadster dream with limited or no experience of rwd, power and a lack of driver aids in combination. The same people buy mx5s (less power) and BMW z cars (more driver aids)

My Build Thread

GBaggott

posted on 17/2/10 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
I'm an experienced driver of rwd cars, 3 kit cars, s2000, 2 mx5's one with a turbo.

The s2000 handles rubbish in the wet, unpredictable is the word i would use (very lairy). You don't buy a 240hp s2000 to drive slow and precautiously in the wet !
My brother crashed it on the nurburg.

I have ended up going back to an mx5 turbo as they can slide sideways predictably whatever the road condition.

GBaggott

posted on 17/2/10 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Oh by the way I'm none of the above, it really does handle bad.
The MX5 is a car for enthusiasts and all I can say is don't knock it until you drive one. There is a slight lack of power, fixed with a turbo

ritchunt

posted on 17/2/10 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
i would agree, the sk2 i had was a bit twitchy in the wet even more so when the vtec kicked in the back end would quit happily just step out as it wanted i had a few near misses to be honest, i wouldnt put the ammount down to lack of experience just inexperience of knowing how to tame the beast lol
Avoneer

posted on 17/2/10 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
What he said about 5's

I've gone from a Tiger to a BEC to a Turbo MX5.

Grin factor is the same, but the 5 has a screen, heater and a roof and is more or less bullet proof - you can drive to a track, rag the balls of it and go to work the next day without even opening the bonnet.

I've also heard S2000 are lairy when pushed, especially in the wet.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 17/2/10 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
My colleague at work has an S2000 - he tells me that on their forum many drivers are reporting that they've stuffed their car into a hedge.

I followed him up the road after the recent snow had fallen - he was so slow that it was like following a granny!

[Edited on 17/2/10 by David Jenkins]

l0rd

posted on 17/2/10 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
You should all see how bad S2000 are in Greece.

Due to the heat at summer, all the tarmac is shiney like glass compared to the one you have here.

They lairy even on dry surfaces in Greece easily.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.