Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: vortx track day settings
hopsky1

posted on 1/8/12 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
vortx track day settings

im doing my first trackday in the vortx saturday and wonderd if you can advise me on what damper settings and tyre pressures to use.
its a blade vortex with protech shocks 185/60 13 front 205/60 13 rear tyres r888 medium compound
thanks

amalyos

posted on 2/8/12 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Damper settings will be different for every car, and every driver.

If it's your first outing, and your just out for some fun, just start in the middle (assuming you have single adjustable). See how you go, once the tyres are warmed up, then adjust from there depending how the cars handling.

If you have double adjustable that's a different matter. After 2 years of racing I am only just starting to understand how to set them up, and how the settings affect the car.

For tyres, start around 18 psi, unless its a really hot day, then drop them a bit.

Keep it on the black stuff and have fun.

http://stevembuild.blogspot.com

loggyboy

posted on 2/8/12 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by amalyos
Damper settings will be different for every car, and every driver.

... and every track.

As above both the settings and reaching those settings is a very personal thing (whilst Im sure experts/pros have a definitive method). Its important to be methodical and make small adjustments and make notes of what you adjusted and what the out come was. If you just have single adjustables then its fairly straight forward.

All the below is from very little practical experience and just what ive read, from what logic dicates, and beleive it not what computer games can teach!)
I have personally, when setting dampers on my tintop is was best to start on the stiffest setting, which will always be far to harsh leading to hopping and skipping under braking and turn in, then working from there. Others may prefer to start on the sofftest, or smack in the middle. This can be done on the road fairly acurately, then when on track once you find what appears to be a comfortable level of stiffness, you can tweek the front and rear (and if you really know your stuff adjustents left to right!).
This is where the heavy braking, accelerating and steering will reveal if you guesstimate road settings translate to the track. If the car seems to dive lots under braking, then try stiffinening the front, if the car seems to loose front end grip when turning and accelerating, maybe stiffen the rear. If you find that when neither accel or braking, that the car wants to oversteer then the rears my be too hard and/or the fronts are too soft, and vice versa.

This is all based on the fact you have the right spring weights, if they are not quite right, then shock settings will only mask/solve part of the problem. Only a good track shakedown will reveal!

Mistral Motorsport

hopsky1

posted on 2/8/12 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
thanks guys.ive done many trackdays in my old evo and just wanted a base setting to start with.the track is lydden hill which is quite a short track.il let u know how i get on
whitestu

posted on 2/8/12 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
When I went to Lydden I ws surprised how low I ended up with the tyre pressures [Yok A539s]. I think they ended up about 14 psi which seemed to give most grip, which was i think, just down to them getting warmer.

Stu

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.