Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: anyone use single axle trailer?
daniel mason

posted on 19/10/13 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
anyone use single axle trailer?

i have found a cheap covered trailer which is fairly large 6' x 14' bed but its only single axle!
all my other trailers have been twin axle and towed really well and stable under braking behind a volvo saloon car. is there anything wrong with a single axle (i was worried about high speed blowout)? or would you advise sticking with a twin axle setup? cheers

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 19/10/13 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
I have a single axle brian james trailer 4m length to tow my striker and it tows very well no issues yes blow out could be an issue but if you look after your tyre pressures and have good quality heavy duty tyres the chances of having a blow out is pretty low!especially if your towing a light weight car...
Brook_lands

posted on 19/10/13 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Yep mines single axle as well, only issue is I'm pushing the weight limit for it with a "normal" car on it. OK with a Locost but other stuff is a bit heavier.

Tows very well, easy to reverse etc, much better thana twin axle I once borrowed

mark chandler

posted on 19/10/13 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
I,ve done both, single wins hands down for a light car you just need to get the balance right when loading.

Additional bonus, much easier for pushing around once off the car.

bi22le

posted on 19/10/13 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
yup, I am.

I was close to 850kg limit when I went to wales. It still towed fine.

When I converted it from the bare caravan chassis to the trailer I needed I purchased proper 8ply trailer tyres and put in the correct pressure, I hope that should reduce the chances of a blow out.

The nose weight of a trailer should be 7% IIRC but mine is less, approx 2% It still tows fine and is mega stable.

[Edited on 19/10/13 by bi22le]

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

johnny chimpo

posted on 19/10/13 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Daniel, if you decide you arent after it could you send me the details for it. I'm still looking for a trailer for my MNR and a covered trailer would be a Bruce'y bonus!

[Edited on 19/10/13 by johnny chimpo]

daniel mason

posted on 19/10/13 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
hi there mate. i will have a brian james minno for sale.twin axle. low level tyre rack, rear legs for unloading when un hitched, long ramps. perfect size for a 7!
the one im looking at is way too big bed width but only 3' 6" high so a 7 is way too tall sorry

[Edited on 19/10/13 by daniel mason]

johnny chimpo

posted on 19/10/13 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
What's the bed size mate? Could you also u2u me a ball park figure for how much you would be after. Cheers (sorry for taking this off topic a bit)
minitici

posted on 20/10/13 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
When I built the single axle, covered trailer for Angus' Clubsport, it was specifically designed to get the correct nose weight when the car was loaded and the wet tyres loaded on the internal rack.

If the wet tyres are not in the trailer the nose weight gets too light and the trailer becomes unstable.

The trailer uses a stabiliser bar fitted to the tow hitch as it can weave without it (especially on the overrun).

As for tyres, we tried 10" Camac trailer tyres but we had lots of problems with these (several blowouts and delaminations).
The tyres were quite close to their maximum rating.

We have now fitted 12" wheels and trailer tyres and have had no further problems.

Marcus

posted on 20/10/13 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Mine's single axle covered and tows really nicely. The cover is ally / fibreglass and there's a cooker and beds inside......oh crap, I've bought a caravan......

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dhutch

posted on 20/10/13 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Not a car trailer, but we have a 8ft4ft general purp single axle trailer and have done miles and miles on with without issue, loaded to its max with coal, or stacked high with two sailing boats and gear in the bottom.

I would hate to know what its like should it suffer a blow out, can cant comment on that other than we have not had one.

Only trailer blow I know of was following a mates twin axle ifor with a landrover on it. He barely even noticed bar the smoke. It was a farm trailer however, old, and had been used in fields heavily over laiden at times so could well have been caused by that.

Still, if its tied on it should go anywhere, and the chance of getting upside down even with a blowout doesnt likely to me.

That said, I do like the fact mines twin.

Daniel

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.