Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Now TV box
britishtrident

posted on 23/12/13 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Now TV box

Our FTTC broadband is getting installed so I ordered a Sky Now TV box for £9.99 I have no intention of paying a Sky subscription so it just really a toe in the water test for broadband TV BBCi Player and Demand 5 if works well in a few months I will see what else is available from Roku, Chromecast and others.

Link to Now TV Box review

[Edited on 23/12/13 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

chrism

posted on 23/12/13 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Ive recently got one of these aswell, you dont get all the channels you would with a Roku Lt box (Which it is a cutdown version of it) but still pretty good, you do need to sign up for a nowTV account which is a free and you can also get a months free Movie pass.

There are a few good other channels over the iPlayer, 4OD and Demand5 (No ITV Player) and its worth the £10 for the UFO and conspiracy channel alone, Lol.

You can also sideload Plex client onto it and stream video from your pc/laptop.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

johnny chimpo

posted on 23/12/13 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
Is there a list of channels available with this box?
britishtrident

posted on 23/12/13 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnny chimpo
Is there a list of channels available with this box?

Sky/Now TV are bit unclear on exactly what what free channels you get you get but the Sky subscription stuff is well covered the main thing you can't get is Netflix.
However for a £10 including delivery it has to be worth a punt just for BBCi Player alone especially if you have fibre broadband.
If you don't have an HDMI socket on your TV add £5 for a cable.
If it works for me I will buy a more versitile box and switch the Now box to another telly.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Ben_Copeland

posted on 23/12/13 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
We've got one in my sons room. It's mostly all on demand stuff. But you can side load some programs onto it. I've got Plex loaded which allows me to stream films from my brother in laws server in his house.

You can pay a subscription to get movies or sports if you don't have sky.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

davidinhull

posted on 1/1/14 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

If possible could someone clarify, that after the initial£10 purchase, can you use this for bbc iplayer, 4od, and demand5 (but not itv player?) with no other costs or subscription?
All I want to do is watch those online services (itv player in addition would be even better, if anyone can suggest an option for that) on the tv rather than computer, so this seems a cheap way to do this - almost too cheap, hence my assumption there will be ongoing costs

Thanks

David

Ben_Copeland

posted on 1/1/14 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Yes just don't sign up for the subscription bit. I didn't bother we just use the free bits.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Peteff

posted on 3/1/14 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
We bought a new LG 47LA620V smart telly and it has nowtv, iplayer and demand5 already on it and can access 4OD via the internet. I am very impressed with it so far.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

matt_claydon

posted on 3/1/14 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by davidinhull
Hi

If possible could someone clarify, that after the initial£10 purchase, can you use this for bbc iplayer, 4od, and demand5 (but not itv player?) with no other costs or subscription?
All I want to do is watch those online services (itv player in addition would be even better, if anyone can suggest an option for that) on the tv rather than computer, so this seems a cheap way to do this - almost too cheap, hence my assumption there will be ongoing costs

Thanks

David

A Samsung Blu-ray player will get you all the catch-up services, including ITV, plus loads of other on-demand apps like Lovefilm, Blinkbox, etc. Going to sting you for a bit more than a tenner though

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.