Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: GDK Legend R1......the fun begins
Jodieshann

posted on 13/1/14 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
GDK Legend R1......the fun begins

Hi guys - after some searching and researching I'm now the new owner of a GDK Legend R1 purchased from this forum. Excellent news!

I've now got a list of jobs to do over the next few months before the weather get's better - I'll be posting on here my progress and any questions i have which I'm sure will be a lot!

Here's the plan.....

Replace drive shaft
Replace all oils
Remove current one piece bonnet / nose, and replace with Mk Indy separate parts (current bonnet does not fit the chassis perfectly).
sort out bonnet scoop / airbox issue if it's won't fit....may need a Dax scoop?
Wrap part of the car in a vinyl wrap - thinking carbon effect? but not sure if it's too cheesy? Alternative is matte silver?
Fit 90 degree tip to the exhaust (blowing onto rear arch at present with 45 degree tip)
Replace arch protector where exhaust has damaged it

and that's about it!

I've also got the trailer that came with it to sell, along with a new set of straps. It's only been used a few times so shouldn't be too hard.

and so it begins...............

johnny chimpo

posted on 13/1/14 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Jodie, I presume it's sdh's car you bought? Looks like a cracking build with plenty of attention to detail.

Good luck with it! I'm sure you will get plenty of helpful advice from the people on here.

Jodieshann

posted on 13/1/14 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
yeah that's the car....looks like a cracking example to me, and some little jobs to do too, which means i can get to know it a bit better over the next few months.

First job will be selling the trailer so that will be going up on the for sale section ASAP

sdh2903

posted on 13/1/14 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
The scoop fitted is the Dax one
Jodieshann

posted on 13/1/14 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
thanks Steve.....hopefully the MK scoop will be OK. Otherwise I'll be removing the Dax scoop from the current set-up and using it with the Mk bonnet.

drive shaft is job number 1 though! (after selling the trailer...which was ace on the trip down to Surrey by the way!)

sdh2903

posted on 13/1/14 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
I actually had more offers for the trailer than anything else! So I'm sure you'll have no problem shifting it on.
renetom

posted on 13/1/14 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
R1

Hi
We reversed the R1 airbox which worked
out perfect with the air-scoop on the Indy bonnet
Putting the intakes right under the scoop.

Air box reversed
Air box reversed

Bonnet Vents both sides
Bonnet Vents both sides

Jodieshann

posted on 13/1/14 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Is reversing the airbox a big job? Or is it as simple as taking it off....turning it round and re-attaching it! Can't be that simple can it!

Ive got my fingers crossed that it might fit as standard because my chassis will be slightly different

renetom

posted on 14/1/14 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
air box

Unfortunately its not that simple
The spacing of the trumpets are not equal
So you need to make a new base for the airbox.
Good luck.

sdh2903

posted on 14/1/14 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
As it sits the air box is already reversed.

When the engine was mounted I was a touch paranoid about sump clearance so it probably sits an inch or so higher than most. When the indy bonnet arrives if it doesn't fit height wise you really have 3 options

1. Swap the air box for a sausage filter
2. Keep the air box and lower the engine mounts an inch
3. Use the indy bonnet and use the bigger scoop that's already on the car.

If your ok with a bit more noise I would go with option 1, if not then option 3.

rodgling

posted on 14/1/14 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Hope you have fun with it - let me know if I can help with GKD-specific issues. I would recommend a brake upgrade too, the BMW front callipers are crap.
Jodieshann

posted on 14/1/14 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys...

Steve - When messing around with the airbox and changing it for another system does the engine then require setting up again?

Rodgling - re the GKD brakes - I've also got a set of Z3 calipers to convert the fronts to solid discs. The rears are currently running on VW Golf calipers.

Thanks

sdh2903

posted on 14/1/14 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Ideally yes, you May need to go up a jet size on the carbs. There were various jets in the box I gave you. A decent rolling road should only need an hour to do this.

Rodgling has a nice lightweight 4 pot brake set up but it's a fair bit of work as it's not an off the shelf kit. I would suggest he needs the better brakes more than you as his car is 200kgs heavier and is running the best part of 320 bhp!!

I would get some solid oem z3 1.9 discs and some decent mintex 1144 or ferodo ds2500 brake pads and it will be fine And you'll shed 8-10kgs of weight.

[Edited on 14/1/14 by sdh2903]

rodgling

posted on 14/1/14 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm, suspect they won't be any better other than saving a bit of weight on the discs - moving to Wilwood 4 pots or similar will make a bigger improvement IMO. I still have the golf rears, might replace them with a non-floating caliper at some point but for now it's OK.
Jodieshann

posted on 14/1/14 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
decision made on the scoop - I'm going to re-use the Dax one if the Mk doesn't fit.

Thanks for the info on the airbox Steve...didn't realise you had already turned it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.