Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Visiting Scotland - Advice and must do?
bi22le

posted on 17/1/14 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Visiting Scotland - Advice and must do?

There have been a few "visiting London" threads on here which living and working in London I have contributed to.

Its now the time of you bonnie gents up there to give some advice down south.

Me, my wife and our (will be) 1 year old want to do some holidays in the UK. Scotland is top of the list but we are very flexible.

We are looking at going in June for a week or two. I have free Diesel so will be driving.

We love to walk and be outdoors. I have been to Edinbough before and want to go again. I would like to go and see the west, Isle of skye looks like it should be in New Zealand and so would like to go and see the rugged coast. We want to stay in a really picturesque log cabin at some point. We have been watching George Clarke's Amazing Places so anything like that would be great.

Any advice or ideas?

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

ste

posted on 17/1/14 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
We get a cottage once a year right up north by the coast, Scotland is an amazing place and I'd recommend the usual tourist places like Loch Ness, Edinburgh etc.

I would highly recommend a distillery tour as you get to drink far more monies worth of whisky than the tour costs.

Skye is a beautiful island and one of my favourites is Islay.

A drive through the highlands deer spotting is also great fun and usually amazing driving roads. We like to stop and watch the fly fishermen catch a salmon or hire a little row boat for the day and catch trout in a loch. A spinner rig is about £15

Nickp

posted on 17/1/14 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
West coast is stunning, roads are amazing. Isle of Skye, Applecross, Kyle of Lochalsh, Oban etc etc Used to do it all the time on my bike.
Also stopped in a log cabin years ago at the bottom of Loch Lomond (Balloch) which was nice and a shortish train journey into Glasgow.

T66

posted on 17/1/14 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
If your doing the west side, Glasgow is full of culture and on a par with Edinburgh. Next jump up if your doing Oban etc is Crinan. Pretty little harbour. Views across to Jura. Its all pretty good up there.

I stayed at a B&B owned by an ex Navy diver, place was full of stuff off the seabed, the Crinan Hotel is right on the waters edge, serving good food.

http://www.crinanhotel.com/photo_gallery.php

HowardB

posted on 17/1/14 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
the most important thing is to get out of the car,.... get out of the car and walk,. walk up the hills,. walk away from the roads go and see the views,...

and pray for good weather

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

JoelP

posted on 17/1/14 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for Islay, we're off back in a few weeks. Leave the family at home, get some mates in, and do a few distillery tour. Happy days!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Nickp

posted on 17/1/14 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Properly remote and well worth a visit for a meal or even a stop over - http://www.applecross.uk.com/inn/
Glass bottomed boats around Skye are great too.

David Jenkins

posted on 17/1/14 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
I found Edinburgh to be far too touristy - not at all interesting. Previous experience was that Glasgow is far more interesting.

Agree with the west coast - but be prepared for rain!

dave

posted on 17/1/14 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
The rain will be warm in June. Beware the midges.
sdh2903

posted on 17/1/14 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave

Very true, may seems to be better than June weather wise and the midges aren't as bad. Lots of good advice above, Skye took my breath away the first time I went it's beautiful.

snapper

posted on 17/1/14 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
I do work around Loch Lomond and the Gareloch have done the drive to the Kyle of Lochalsh and would definitely recommend the west coast drive to Fort William, the drive through the mountains is stunning however found Fort William disappointing

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

wilkingj

posted on 17/1/14 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave

+1 for that.

I have been to Mull 3 times, Harris 2 times, and going to Lewis with a day trip to the Shaints, or if the pocket is deep enough St Kilda this year.
Mull is nice, but the Outer Hebrides reminds me of Cornwall in the 1950's - UNSPOILT.
Excellent scenery, and the beaches on the Outer Hebrides can be like a Carribean paradise... As long as its sunny and not windy!

If you want to get away from it all, the Hebrides are nice.
Sailing from Uig to Tarbert (halfway between Harris and Lewis) takes you across Skye, so you get another Island in for free!

Just remmeber that there are no shops open on the Outer Islands on a Sunday, and some shops are like stepping back 60 years!
So stock up with beer if you want some!

If you go to UIG on Skye, you will almost certainly pass the Loch Fyne eatery at Loch Fyne.
Damn expensive, (Lunch was £85 to two of us), but stupefyingly GOOD!
Couldnt afford to eat there often, but once in the 7 years of going to Scotland, was worthwhile.
Especially if you like Fish and Oysters etc.

Keep away from the main centres and get to the backroads, and the hills.. Fantastic scenery, and some of the women arent bad either

Distilleries are always a good visit, interesting, but I learnt to buy the products elsewhere, as it can work out cheaper.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
keith777

posted on 17/1/14 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
Have you concidered a few days in sw Scotland on the way up?
Some beautiful countryside there .

cheers Keith

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 17/1/14 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keith777
Have you concidered a few days in sw Scotland on the way up?
Some beautiful countryside there .

Scotland starts at perth...............

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

johnny chimpo

posted on 18/1/14 at 12:48 AM Reply With Quote
Staying on the west coast of Scotland I should be able to give pretty good suggestions, but at the moment my head is fried and I'm far too tired, will add a better response in the morning. What I will add is go to Islay for a distillery tour, plenty to choose from and drive there via the rest n be thankful!
trikerneil

posted on 18/1/14 at 06:17 AM Reply With Quote
I though the Falkirk Wheel was worth the visit.
My Scottish mates swear by Avon Skin so Soft (read the description in the link) as an insect repellent.

HTH

Neil

ACE Cafe - Just say No.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hkp57

posted on 18/1/14 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
Having Driven it many times I would support starting Around Stirling Castle area, Head up through Dukes pass then make your way up over a day or two up the west coast to Applecross (Pass of the Cattle, Uk's best Alpine style road)

There is a Westfield gathering in Applecross over the weekend of 20 -22nd June which is always good for a hangover.

Little video from SKCC

[Edited on 18/1/14 by hkp57]

Nickp

posted on 18/1/14 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hkp57
Having Driven it many times I would support starting Around Stirling Castle area, Head up through Dukes pass then make your way up over a day or two up the west coast to Applecross (Pass of the Cattle, Uk's best Alpine style road)

There is a Westfield gathering in Applecross over the weekend of 20 -22nd June which is always good for a hangover.

Little video from SKCC

[Edited on 18/1/14 by hkp57]

Great vid

BenB

posted on 18/1/14 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
We drove up to the West Coast last year. We went to Skye initially then went to Applecross then went to Glenfinnen Hotel.

Just my opinion but for me Skye was amazing. I'd go back in a tick although next time I want to go to the Outer Hebrides. But of the three parts to our trip Skye was the best.

splitrivet

posted on 18/1/14 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
I'd agree with Applecross sitting outside the pub with a pint looking over at Skye at midnight and its still quite light is amazing.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

dhutch

posted on 18/1/14 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Mountain biking...?

http://www.ridefortwilliam.co.uk/

bi22le

posted on 18/1/14 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all of the replies.

Its nice to know that the west is the place to go. We are restricted by the time of year that we are going as its when the child minder is on holiday so we are taking that time to go away.

Please remember that we have a 1 year old. My wife and I would love to get drunk in a distilleray for a day but unfortunatly them days have gone!

Same for long hikes and mountain biking, both we would love to do but just cant.

Keep the advice and comments coming, mozzies and Edinburgh Vs Glasgow is interesting. My perception of Glasgow is probably boardering raciest! I have the perception that Edinburgh is clean, historic and worth visiting and Glasgow is where Super T and Buckfast is guzzeled!

No offence meant, Ill visit Glasgow and form a new opinion!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 18/1/14 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Don't go north of the border... There be beasties!
sdh2903

posted on 18/1/14 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Your view on glasgow is interesting, but in some parts you're correct. But the same could be said for the rougher parts of Edinburgh and in fact any uk city.

Visit first, opinions second.

bob

posted on 18/1/14 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
We stayed in a cabin on Loch Tay in July 2013, fantastic place views walks.

morenish mews link

Really reasonable prices too.

Went on a highland safari in Pitlochry which we really enjoyed, plus the distillery tours.

Loch Tummel and Queens view is a must.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.