Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Visiting Scotland - Advice and must do?
Slater

posted on 18/1/14 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
The Royal Marine Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge is set in some stunning scenery, needs to be a clear day. Also the viewpoint at top of Loch Shiel over looking the Glenfinnan Monument and down the loch is stunning, if you time it right you will also see a Steam Train going over the Glenfinnan Viaduct from the same viewpoint (harry potter). If you get the weather right its the most amazing scenery. Also driving through Glen Coe on A82 is a must.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

hkp57

posted on 18/1/14 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
There are some nice spots in the borders but you could end up trying to do too much, here is a route that has some of the best roads (not all though, it just flowed)

This could be trimmed back to suit your needs, like amything south of Stirling or Perth can be done on the motorways.

To speed up your return from the Highlands stick to the A9 from Inverness.

Maps Here

[Edited on 18/1/14 by hkp57]

[Edited on 18/1/14 by hkp57]

David Jenkins

posted on 18/1/14 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
Keep the advice and comments coming, mozzies and Edinburgh Vs Glasgow is interesting. My perception of Glasgow is probably boardering raciest! I have the perception that Edinburgh is clean, historic and worth visiting and Glasgow is where Super T and Buckfast is guzzeled!

No offence meant, Ill visit Glasgow and form a new opinion!

Edinburgh has a posh centre (but, as I said, touristy) but rapidly gets scruffy as you move a few streets away. Glasgow is similar, but not so touristy. I don't want to push Glasgow too much as, after all, it's just a big commercial city. It's just not as grotty as many people think! The major downside is that you'll probably want a phrase book or a translator.

I stopped off in a petrol station there a couple of years ago, and only worked out what I had to do from the current part of the proceedings... an agressive-sounding "hurGrrhurhurhur" was "put your card in the reader", "Hurhurgrrgrr" was "enter your PIN", "hurgrrhur" was "take your card out".

Volvorsport

posted on 18/1/14 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Nowt wrong with leith.

taking the coast road round north Berwick is amazing. Id recomend pease bay , thoroughly enjoyed our stay last year. Then go directly to st kilda, just to say id been .......

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

morcus

posted on 18/1/14 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Glasgow probably has the most things to see and do of any of the towns or cities in Scotland and is nowhere nere as rough as alot of people imagine providing you don't go anywhere dodgy. If you do decide to visit though, remember the Common wealth games are on this year and going during them would be like visiting Rome at easter I imagine (Last time I was in Glasgow George Square was fenced off as part of the one year count down). If you have the time you get a lovely view from the top of the Necropolis.

On your way up be sure to stop at Gretna green.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

David Jenkins

posted on 18/1/14 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Gretna is another touristy place - but none the worse for all that! Worth a visit just to say you've been there.

My brother lives near Nairn (just east of Inverness) which is another area worth visiting (a vote for east Scotland!). Scenic, especially the Black Isle, with Cromarty at the end. The highlands are quite close too.

[Edited on 18/1/14 by David Jenkins]

trextr7monkey

posted on 18/1/14 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
+1 for skin so soft as midge repellent Falkirk wheel applecross ,Skye,
Re Glenfinnan and mcAlpines concrete curved viaduct we stayed in a beautiful cottage at Glenfinnan many years ago when the children were small, at Loch lomond there is a fantastic house on east side called Ptarmagin Lodge which sleeps about 16 people so would bé a good place to meet up with family for a special occasion- huge garden sweeps down to loch, dogs n bonfires welcome!
Have done log cabins but they tend to bé very variable- favourite place which would bé great for your whole family is the Hilton hotel at Dunkeld- at first sight not the no 1 destination for a 1 year old but it is a huge country lodge river rushing past a huge arboretum of massive trees and more importantly a swimming pool round the back! Lots of tea shops in the village pretty cheap if you book way ahead.
Anyway enjoy your trip!
Atb
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

SteveWalker

posted on 18/1/14 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I don't want to push Glasgow too much as, after all, it's just a big commercial city. It's just not as grotty as many people think! The major downside is that you'll probably want a phrase book or a translator.

When I used to work for a large compressor manufacturer, one of the fitters in the test area was Glaswegian and on top of that was a very heavy drinker. I found him completely unintelligible at first, but as I got used to it, I found myself translating for others. The day he arrived at work somewhat the worse for drink and attempted to sing through the megaphone was quite memorable!

garyo

posted on 21/1/14 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
+1 on the midges comments - they can ruin an outdoor holiday. IIRC they favour one coast rather than the other... do some research if you're a walker/cycler/camper.
David Jenkins

posted on 22/1/14 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
The only downside I found with West Scotland was in Fort William - I've been there a few times, and it's pee'd down with rain every visit! Other visitors from this forum have said that this is a common experience... shame, as it's a nice-enough little town.

hkp57

posted on 22/1/14 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
The only downside I found with West Scotland was in Fort William - I've been there a few times, and it's pee'd down with rain every visit! Other visitors from this forum have said that this is a common experience... shame, as it's a nice-enough little town.

Its not called the wet west for nothing, just watch out for the webbed feet.

David Jenkins

posted on 23/1/14 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
I think it's just Fort William - 5 miles out of town it would always stop raining!

mcerd1

posted on 29/1/14 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport
Nowt wrong with leith.

really which bit ?
(and I was born there !)

Edinburgh vs Glasgow...
as above they both have the fancy bits in the centre...

edinburgh has quite a lot of really old bits (like say St Margaret's Chapel at the Castle at ~850 years old - its tiny btw...)
any time of year is fairly busy with tourists, but the summer more so and in the festival its ridiculous
also the very touristy things are the busiest and cost a small fortune (like the Castle at £18.50 each!)

Glasgow is mostly a fair bit newer and has plenty to do but less obviously tourist things - but the Commonwealth games will be the issue this year...

if anything the centre of glasgow is probably cleaner, edinburgh feels older and more 'used'
(I'd visit glasgow, but live in edinburgh )

Aviemore is a dump, avoid the massive macdonald resort that's taken over half the town at all costs (everyone I know thats been has been very disappointed)

Fort William is a bigger dump than aviemore

Pitlochry - nice park / gardens, few decent pubs for food - think a giant pit-stop for all the tourists on the A9 and you get the idea

St Andrews is ok, but full of students most of the year and golfers the rest of the time...

Inverness is surprisingly nice, but quite small and not so much to do/see - good as a base for that part of the world though

The west coast has much more interesting scenery and the islands are well worth a visit - if you've got the car anyway then you'll be able to stay in smaller (often cheaper) places outside of the main centres

last year me and the GF went up to Dunkeld for the weekend and stayed here:
http://www.erigmore.co.uk/accommodation/holiday-lodges/1-bedroom-spa-lodge-with-hot-tub/

it really was every bit as good as the pics suggest - it even had a dishwasher (never tried the bar/restaurant on site)
and Dunkeld is only a gentle walk along the river through the forest - highly recommended for a long weekend

as for the outer Hebrides, the further out you go the bleaker the landscape gets and the more extreme the weather gets
this was Mingulay and Barra in August a couple of years back (both looking west - next stop canada)

the next day built up to a force 12 - that was interesting in a tent
in the end we put big rocks in the tents and went to the pub and got drunk, that made it much easier to sleep

[Edited on 29/1/2014 by mcerd1]

-

jacko

posted on 29/1/14 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
+1 for Dunkeld
If you go there have a walk along the river to the hermitage / salmon leap

When i was young we use to camp just out side Dunkeld at a water mill
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.