Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: It's funny how the little things can really annoy...
nick205

posted on 19/2/14 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GRRR
Auto-indicators p*ss me off, you can accidentally nudge the stalk and the indicator carrys on blinking for a bit which can look to other road users like you're turning off. cant cancel it or it starts flashing the other way instead!

Another feature I really like. Dab the indicator and it gives 3 winks, perfect for lane changes, overtaking, slip roads etc. I'm so used to it in my car that I forget SWMBOs doesn't do it and end up failing to signal properly sometimes.

The only thing you can't do is the regulation lorry drivers side to side wink to thank another driver.

britishtrident

posted on 19/2/14 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Bloody self-lock doors get on my wick Rovers fiited them, they lock automatically at between 2 and 7 mph and remain locked after the carstops to open them from the inside you have to pull the handle twice but the other doors remain locked.

Working the locks on the blipper one press will only unlock the drivers door, two presses are required to unlock the other doors.

It can be turned off with Rover Textbook but ,,,,,,,,,,,

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

sdh2903

posted on 19/2/14 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
I like the one touch indicators. Hate stop start, keyless entry, electric bloody handbrakes (not found one that holds on my steep drive and ludicrously expensive to fix) and all the bloody safety bings and f***ong bongs, I know when my seat belts off, I know when it's cold I know when I've left the key in just stop binging at me!!!

And being grumpy is fine, I've been grumpy since I sold my kit to help find a house project that fell through at the last min. In fact even the mrs has noted my inherent grumpiness and is hinting I should get a new 'toy' car. So being grumpy has it's upsides

NigeEss

posted on 19/2/14 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903bings and f***ong bongs, I know when my seat belts off, I know when it's cold I know when I've left the key in just stop binging at me!!!

That one really grips my sh1t

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

SteveWalker

posted on 19/2/14 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
yeah that stop start thing, doesn't that wear out the starter and the flywheel teeth? I notice too the batteries for them are more than twice the price. Also wonder about the extra wear to the engine if it needs to build up oil pressure each time it starts as that is when most wear occurs not to mention the engine cooling back down so it becomes less efficient... seems a crazy thing to do just to save a tiny bit of fuel while idling a lights

The Volvo V50 eDrive I had for a year or so was Start/Stop. It didn't perform the Start/Stop unless the engine was up to temperature, thus limiting cold start wear. It had a definite positive impact on urban fuel consumption as well.

There is a simple way to stop the stop/start wear on the starter and ring gear - don't use a conventional starter! There was a design some time ago for a car using a the ring gear on the flywheel and another toothed wheel and coils on the bellhousing to act as an alternator when the engine was running and charge a battery. It had stop/start, but startup was by using the toothed rings as a variable reluctance motor (IIRC), so no engagement of teeth. It could also use the VRM to give a boost when overtaking. I don't know if any of the current start/stop cars use this system though.

femster87

posted on 20/2/14 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
wow you lot are grumpy
nick205

posted on 20/2/14 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by femster87
wow you lot are grumpy

Indeed, and that's on the subject of cars, which (taking a wild guess on a car forum) we all quite like as well.

Imagine if we were discussing reality TV shows or worse still cooking TV shows

mcerd1

posted on 20/2/14 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
My personal pet hates include gear change lights (mind you my tin-top's one isn't so bad - it comes on somewhere over ~6.5k just before the rev limiter ), self locking doors, etc. but they are just irritating...
the one that I think actually get in the way of driving are:

start-stop - I've had it on a few hire cars now and can never get used to it - 1 time in 10 I end up stalling the car when pulling away - a 2.0 bluemotion golf was the worst of the lot

Electric handbrakes - even when they are working you can never quite predict exactly when they'll let go / bite

traction control - my new tin-top has it, every time I hit puddle deeper than 1/2" it kicks in, killing the power and pulling the car to the side with it turned off it just pulls thought the puddle dead strait, but it come on again automatically when you restart the car....

Stupidly light power steering, make the cars too twitchy all so your granny can park the car with 1 finger....

Stupidly light clutch pedals with no feel in them, and that combined with eco-tuned engines with zero torque at tickover is really irritating - my mum has a 1.6 diesel polo (first of the new shape) its got so little go in it that I've stalled it nearly every time I've ever driven it

a lot of them just feel disconnected from the road, I'll admit its nice and quiet and you don't feel the bumps, but some go too far and you can't even feel what the car is doing underneath you so you've no idea how well the car is gripping and when its going to let go
the worst one I've driven for this is my dad's disco 3, I actually prefer his old 1989 110 stationwagon !

apart from its stupidly light steering the best new car I've had in a long time was actually a 1.2 fiat 500 (never though I'd ever say that !)
all the functional bits on it were simple and worked and you actually felt connected to the road... (now if I could just work out how to kill the power steering it would be near perfect...)

quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
I like to see how bad I can get the instantaneous fuel consumption reading on the tintop

after 14 years driving I've only just got a tin-top of my own with a display
mind you the first 8 years of that (2 cars) I didn't even have fuel injection, 5th gear or power steering - but I still like those cars better than the new one

so far I can make it go all the way down to 4mpg, and I can get the average as low as 16mpg (its only a c-max with a 1.8 duratec)

* Yes I'm having a very grumpy day - my 9 moth pregnant GF kept me awake most of the night again....

[Edited on 20/2/2014 by mcerd1]

-

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.