Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: bec turbo
jlayton

posted on 7/4/14 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
bec turbo

just starting to collect the bits I need now to turbo my car. (just bought a mnr vortx r1 5pw engine so fuel injected)
just wanted some advice on turbos, its either going to be td04 13c/15g/16t which 1 would be the best only going to run about 7/8 psi at about 220-240bhp may be. I was thinking going in the middle for the td04 15g whats do you think?

thanks

jossey

posted on 7/4/14 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting avatar size

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Proby

posted on 7/4/14 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a 13c for my CBR900, sitting with another box of bits (including fuel pump, swirl pot, inlt manifold, 919 injection throttle bodies etc), one day I'll get around to it!!!!!! I did have a 16t originally, but decided on a 13c in the end. Keep us updated on your progress, a few on here have done the deed.

Visit GraphicMonster

johnny chimpo

posted on 7/4/14 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Definitely keep us posted on this one as I also have a r1-5pw MNR and would like to in the future turbo it.
matt_gsxr

posted on 7/4/14 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Does a 13c generate your target power in its standard car install? If it doesn't then that implies that it can't flow enough for you. If it does then that is the one to go for because it is smaller and cheaper than the bigger ones.

I know the 16T was fitted to 850T5R (250bhp stock), and the 15g to the 850T5 (240bhp stock). So would be adequate (although worth checking the flow maps to ensure that you will get the air you need at those relatively low boost pressures).

A useful site for checking turbo specs against application is http://www.squirrelpf.com/turbocalc/

dave_424

posted on 7/4/14 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a 13T (slightly more flow than a 13c) on a zx9 engine, megasquirt. With some rough inlet transitions and a very badly designed manifold which made the turbo spool very late at around 8k where it should be half that. Also I suspect that since turbo was pretty much at oil level, the turbo was full of oil creating drag on the turbine shaft. I made 181bhp at 6-7psi from the standard 135-140bhp.

Just finished a much better manifold, all 304 stainless, butt weld fittings and with some inlet smoothing I am hoping for 200bhp on the same boost.

Then have some forged pistons, dropping the CR and running 15psi I am hoping for 230-240.

The 16T will get you to that power level with lower boost than a 13 and spool should still be good, but 13 would lower the spool.

I will see how spool is with my 13t with my better set up then will look into a 16t for more power at lower boost.

markmcc21

posted on 15/4/14 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Id love a turbo in my zx10r MNR but i was quoted around £7-8K to either TC or SC it. So its not happening
dave_424

posted on 15/4/14 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
2k or less if you did it yourself..
markmcc21

posted on 15/4/14 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Dave I wouldnt trust myself or know where to start with DIY. I could maybe do a full build (minus electrics) but for tuning and custom parts I wouldnt know where to start. If anyone knows of any garages up north east that can do it for me for cheaper certainly pass me their details!!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.