Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vortex with duratec
andyhaase1

posted on 16/7/16 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
So, I now have the duratec engine with a mx5 mark three box, and a sierra lsd diff coutesy of a member on this forum.
all cleaned up and nicely painted, and I have managed to source some jenvey throttle bodies, manifold, trumpets, backplate, and a jenvey oil filter adapter, to rotate the position of the filter from vertical to horizontal. Also got a 10 degree raceline ally sump that keeps the engine level when using the mx5 box. I still need a clutch, I'm presuming an mx5 clutch will do the trick, can anyone on here confirm that? I don't have an ecu yet, not too bothered yet. I will need a steering column soon though, so that I can take everything over to MNR ready for mark to start the chassis build. What column should I buy? mx5?
Andy
ps. how do I change the thread title to get rid of the e in vortex

andyhaase1

posted on 3/8/16 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
No going back now, the order is in with Mark at MNR. I managed to get a mark 1 mx5 column, stalks, lock and wheel for the IVA. Also got a flywheel for the mark 3 box at the same time. Chassis should be ready around october.
snapper

posted on 4/8/16 at 05:51 AM Reply With Quote
If you use the MX5 as a donor and the Duratec engine you should have enough points to register on an age related plate

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

andyhaase1

posted on 4/12/16 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
I picked up the chassis and boxes of new parts two weeks ago from Mark's workshop, along with my engine, box and diff that he needed to fabricate the various pickups.
Before they went to MNR, the running gear were all cleaned and painted, and the duratec was treated to a raceline sump and jenvey throttle bodies. I have since also got some pipercross cams that need fitting.
After I painted the diff, I decided there was too much backlash! so I'll be stripping and refurbing it later.

andyhaase1

posted on 4/12/16 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
I stripped the diff because there's too much backlash on one output shaft, when I actually got it apart, I found there was too much end float on the pinion shaft. The spacer behind it is the culprit, I need to buy one or make one approx 0.2 mm thicker.

While I'm waiting for the diff spacer to arrive from Germany! I decided to fit the new camshafts.
Unfortunately I discovered that the cams require machined pistons fitting, so I've decided to go the whole way, and fit forged pistons and rods, this is something I considered earlier, but was reluctant due to the cost. However, I have a contact that has all this kit gathering dust due to an abandoned project, so we did a deal.
Today I have removed the crank pulley (very tight), front cover, drive chain, cams, head and then the sump, to access the big end caps. With these off then the Pistons were pulled out, and then I ran a honing tool down the bores to deglaze them.

andyhaase1

posted on 4/12/16 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
I also have seats, 2nd hand but exactly what I wanted, fibreglass, with neoprene pads.
dunk3

posted on 22/1/17 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Hi andyhaase1 is there any updates on your build, as i am thinking of building a MNR
andyhaase1

posted on 22/1/17 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hi dunk3,
I see you're in pontecarlo! Not far from me.
Yes the build is progressing ok, not as quick as I would like, but you gotta have a life as well. The master cylinders and pedals are in, brake and fuel lines done, diff mounted on nylon spacers, prop is in, gearbox is sat in the tunnel but I can't mount it until I lift the engine in on to the mounts, to give me a final position. I can't do that cos I haven't finished rebuilding the engine yet! Waiting for a member on here who is digging out some cam buckets I need to set the valve clearances. Fuel tank is in, pump and filter fitted loosely, waiting on fittings for the pump. Rear inboard springs, shocks, rockers in. Right rear wishbones and upright on loosely to check how it all fits.
That's about all for now, I can only say good things about the way it's all gone together so far, it's my first build but I can recommend dealing with Mark and Wes, they're very helpful.
Andy

dunk3

posted on 24/1/17 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Andy sounds like your progressing well , going to MNR on friday to have a look at there cars and meet marc
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.